FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   OK to Cancel 3rd Segment of Award Travel? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2048368-ok-cancel-3rd-segment-award-travel.html)

TBRIC Jul 31, 2021 2:42 pm

OK to Cancel 3rd Segment of Award Travel?

I’ve never had to consider this, so asking those with more experience. Traveling in September MLE-DOH-ORD-RIC on an AA award ticket. First two segments on QR, last on AA. Layover at ORD is over 5 hours. Was thinking about ditching that last AA segment and taking an earlier UA flight as I have flight credits to use up. Would that be considered a no-no by AA?

redtop43 Jul 31, 2021 3:33 pm

You can never tell, as "Married Segment Logic" may apply, where you can't cancel the segment.

However, if you are a no-show for the occasional flight, no airline is going to hunt you down and cut your fingers off - or even try to rescind miles or reprice your trip.

I assume you were going to claim your luggage in ORD? You can't do this if bags are checked through, but I doubt that will be the case here.

Kacee Jul 31, 2021 3:50 pm

You can just no show. Or cancel the segment after you've arrived at ORD.

TBRIC Jul 31, 2021 4:43 pm

Probably just cancel then as long as DOH-ORD is on time. The AA flight would be an E145 as opposed to the UA in a CR550 in J. Thank you both for responding.

shd9 Jul 31, 2021 7:36 pm

Is there an earlier ORD-RIC that perhaps just doesn't have award inventory? After you clear customs in ORD T5, the AA check-in desk there might be able to list you for standby on an earlier flight.

Otherwise let AA know you won't show up for the flight - you should get a small tax/fee refund

HeadInTheClouds Jul 31, 2021 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 33453594)
I assume you were going to claim your luggage in ORD? You can't do this if bags are checked through, but I doubt that will be the case here.

International arrival at ORD - no issue with or without bags.

TBRIC Aug 1, 2021 4:58 am

[QUOTE=Kacee;33453631]You can just no show. Or cancel the segment after you've arrived at ORD.[/

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 33453594)
You can never tell, as "Married Segment Logic" may apply, where you can't cancel the segment.

However, if you are a no-show for the occasional flight, no airline is going to hunt you down and cut your fingers off - or even try to rescind miles or reprice your trip.

Originally Posted by shd9 (Post 33453975)
Is there an earlier ORD-RIC that perhaps just doesn't have award inventory? After you clear customs in ORD T5, the AA check-in desk there might be able to list you for standby on an earlier flight.

Otherwise let AA know you won't show up for the flight - you should get a small tax/fee refund

There are only three AA non-stops. The one we are on, one that leaves too early, and one late in the evening. The others would all involve a connection which I would like to avoid after the long flight in from Doha. If the Flagship Lounge was open, it might make a 5 hour layover a consideration, but doesn’t look like that will be the case in September. Thanks for responding.