Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Connecting - AA to QR at ORD with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting - AA to QR at ORD with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2021, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AFAIK nothing has changed with regards to AA's protection on separate tickets as long as the other ticket is oneworld.
So, if I have two separate AA tickets, AA will protect me if the first flight is delayed and causes me to miss my second flight?

But, AA won't check my bags through to final destination on two separate tickets? Interesting that the person is treated as having one ticket but the bag is not.

If I collect my bag and miss the luggage check-in time for the second flight, will AA rebook and help get another flight for free, or will AA say its your fault and offer no help to change for free to another flight?

Does AA not interline bags on separate tickets jsut to try and prevent passengers from taking advantage of the lower prices two separate tickets might offer, or is there some other reason?

So if one is not checking a bag then there is no disadvantage to having two separate tickets on AA?
Old Jul 27, 2021, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
So, if I have two separate AA tickets, AA will protect me if the first flight is delayed and causes me to miss my second flight?

But, AA won't check my bags through to final destination on two separate tickets? Interesting that the person is treated as having one ticket but the bag is not.

If I collect my bag and miss the luggage check-in time for the second flight, will AA rebook and help get another flight for free, or will AA say its your fault and offer no help to change for free to another flight?

Does AA not interline bags on separate tickets jsut to try and prevent passengers from taking advantage of the lower prices two separate tickets might offer, or is there some other reason?

So if one is not checking a bag then there is no disadvantage to having two separate tickets on AA?
not just 2 separate AA tickets but separate ticket on AA and other OW airline.
nit sure why they don’t allow to check bags thru, but yea you would be protected if AA caused misconnect
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by gateH15
not just 2 separate AA tickets but separate ticket on AA and other OW airline.
nit sure why they don’t allow to check bags thru, but yea you would be protected if AA caused misconnect
Where can I find information on this as a reference? I have two separate AA awards, HNL-LAX then LAX-DOH-MLE. Worried about what would happen if the HNL-LAX gets cancelled/delayed.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Where can I find information on this as a reference? I have two separate AA awards, HNL-LAX then LAX-DOH-MLE. Worried about what would happen if the HNL-LAX gets cancelled/delayed.
YMMV. The old policy is to protect AA<->OW on even on separate PNR. The links to that policy are dead. The current policy is to protect AA<->OW on separate tickets on SAME PNR. So if your travel agent sold you an AA HNL-LAX fare and a LAX-DOH-MLE on a AA or oneworld ticket within the same PNR, you get protected by AA else you may be on your own.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by seawolf
YMMV. The old policy is to protect AA<->OW on even on separate PNR. The links to that policy are dead. The current policy is to protect AA<->OW on separate tickets on SAME PNR. So if your travel agent sold you an AA HNL-LAX fare and a LAX-DOH-MLE on a AA or oneworld ticket within the same PNR, you get protected by AA else you may be on your own.
It wasn't an agent, just me buying award tickets. Needed the HNL-LAX to preposition because I couldn't get HNL-MLE at all. So if I understand what you are saying I'm pretty much SOL if I don't make it to LAX due to the HNL-LAX flight having issues.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by seawolf
I thought someone with insider info reported that there was still protection between two tickets on separate PNRs if both carriers were OW. The document you reference has two scenarios, neither of which is what is described here, which is separate tickets/PNRs but both carriers are OW.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 5:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I thought someone with insider info reported that there was still protection between two tickets on separate PNRs if both carriers were OW. The document you reference has two scenarios, neither of which is what is described here, which is separate tickets/PNRs but both carriers are OW.
You have to consider the history of this policy. I found the policy several years ago on the other thread (I started that thread). At that point in time, the words in SAME PNR were nowhere to be found in the AA<->OW policy. AA adding those three words seem to be very deliberate.

Now of course there could still be a unpublished policy but because it is unpublished, there is not much leverage a passenger can wield if an AAgent responds we are not responsible for rebooking a separate OW PNR regardless of whether the AAgent is misinformed or accurate in that is no such policy.

Seems to be a recipe for disaster if a passenger books separate itineraries with a tight MCT by relying on an unpublished policy that may or may no longer exist.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Wow, this is news to me. How do you put two separate tickets into one PNR. Are you saying you can call and have them linked?
I actually have an AA ticket to JFK and then another AA ticket from JFK on the same day. Five hour connection time, but there is winter weather coming. I would hope that AA would honor its policy to still protect despite being on two separate records (booked that way since AA won't allow you to combine credits and I have more than a dozen close to expiration so had to book this way).
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Wow, this is news to me. How do you put two separate tickets into one PNR.
An agent needs to do that for you. I've done it several times with my CTA handling it. However, once the tickets are issued, they cannot be moved to another PNR, as far as I know.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Wow, this is news to me. How do you put two separate tickets into one PNR. Are you saying you can call and have them linked?
I actually have an AA ticket to JFK and then another AA ticket from JFK on the same day. Five hour connection time, but there is winter weather coming. I would hope that AA would honor its policy to still protect despite being on two separate records (booked that way since AA won't allow you to combine credits and I have more than a dozen close to expiration so had to book this way).
This is pretty standard bread-and-butter stuff for travel agents. I've had many complex itineraries made of different tickets within the same PNR done by travel agents. YOU can't do it, however, and it doesn't work retroactively to combine separately booked tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.