Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Connecting - AA to QR at ORD with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond

Hi. First time posting in this section of FT! I have a flight from SEA-ORD on AA and then ORD-DOH on QR. They are separate reservations. Will AA tag my bags all the way through in ORD or will I need to reclaim and check them in while at ORD? Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffman999
Hi. First time posting in this section of FT! I have a flight from SEA-ORD on AA and then ORD-DOH on QR. They are separate reservations. Will AA tag my bags all the way through in ORD or will I need to reclaim and check them in while at ORD? Thank you in advance!
No. AA does not interline bags on separate reservations. Even AA to AA.
If a return trip, QR does interline bags on separate reservations with OW airlines. But with customs & immigration on entry to USA you need to physically collect your bags anyway.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
No through check with AA - you need to claim it and take the landside shuttle to T5 for QR check-in. If your AA flight is delayed, you are likely screwed. AA baggage claim at ORD is also somewhat a mess: bags come slowly and they always change the carousel

If schedule and prices work, just fly AS. Better airline overall - they will at least attempt to check your bags through in SEA
Old Jul 25, 2021, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No. AA does not interline bags on separate reservations. Even AA to AA.

I believe the OP would have to collect bags in T3 and then take them to T5 for QR check in
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:17 pm

Does AA still protect separate tickets if MCT is legal? I remember in the past AA would take over the ticket if misconnect AA to/from OW is caused by AA?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by shd9
No through check with AA - you need to claim it and take the landside shuttle to T5 for QR check-in. If your AA flight is delayed, you are likely screwed. AA baggage claim at ORD is also somewhat a mess: bags come slowly and they always change the carousel

If schedule and prices work, just fly AS. Better airline overall - they will at least attempt to check your bags through in SEA
This airside shuttle to T5 is not operating so really the only difference in s that OP has to collect bags.
ffman999 and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How much time have you got between these flights?
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by gateH15
Does AA still protect separate tickets if MCT is legal? I remember in the past AA would take over the ticket if misconnect AA to/from OW is caused by AA?
I believe not - I think this enhancement was made at the same time they stopped interlining bags.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gateH15
Originally Posted by Gunner14
I believe not - I think this enhancement was made at the same time they stopped interlining bags.
AFAIK nothing has changed with regards to AA's protection on separate tickets as long as the other ticket is oneworld.
gateH15 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
How much time have you got between these flights?
There would be 3 hours 45 minutes between connections on the AA flight. It also would mean the difference between F on AA vs economy on AS. But having to recheck bags and drag them across terminals is probably enough for me not to get the AA ticket.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That should be enough time, but understand that you don’t have a connection. You have two separate reservations.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Yes, understood. I used the wrong terminology.

I really appreciate all the advice. Since American won’t transfer my bags to QR on separate tickets, I’m going to stick to Alaska that will.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AFAIK nothing has changed with regards to AA's protection on separate tickets as long as the other ticket is oneworld.
Oh fair enough - maybe I'm "misremembering"
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ffman999
Yes, understood. I used the wrong terminology.

I really appreciate all the advice. Since American won’t transfer my bags to QR on separate tickets, I’m going to stick to Alaska that will.
dragging bags via shuttle bus from T3 to T5 sucks but Alaska won’t give you protection incase anything goes wrong.
AA will protect you in case of IRROPS. So I would stick to AA. You can prob take a taxi from T3 to T5 if you have heavy bags

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.