Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:54 am

Agreed about complimentary upgrades, but I purchased a cash upgrade with no seats available in business. The flight leaves in 4 hours and it still won't let me select a seat (or really check-in) - it says to talk to someone at the airport. Is this normal? In this case they'll move someone from business (probably a paid business class ticket) to first to make room? Or do I have anything to worry about?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by monkeys
Or do I have anything to worry about?
With AA, there is always the chance of a major employee screw-up resulting in pax sitting in the wrong cabin. But as already noted, the usual process is AA will upgrade pax to F to clear seats in J. They do this on the premium t-cons all the time so the GAs should be well aware of the process.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:49 pm

A couple of data points:

CLT - MIA has held at 90 for weeks
MIA - GIG
- PE - $175 (took immediately)
- Business - 800 to 1700

GIG - MIA
- PE - 500 to 1300 before falling to 150 (which I took)
- Business - 2800 to 1100
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Duke777
No, that's poor revenue management when you are still 2 weeks out for a Thursday flight and it is last seat.
To suck up to AA's executives and be nearly brain dead seem to be the only hiring requirements at AA's Revenue Misnagement
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Now if only they would turn it on for award tickets (which DL does, FWIW)!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
BOS-CLT-LAX later in December, I'm getting $140 BOS-CLT and $242 CLT-LAX. The CLT-LAX is operated with a 772 so I'm tempted on that one but I also have a eVIP expiring soon and this is likely one of my last chances to use it. (though no C availability yet)
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
LAX-JFK next Saturday, has been $700-900 offer since booking. Dropped to $242 this morning for upgrade to J. Heck yeah I grabbed that. F upgrade was $454 BTW
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by stephem
LAX-JFK next Saturday, has been $700-900 offer since booking. Dropped to $242 this morning for upgrade to J. Heck yeah I grabbed that. F upgrade was $454 BTW
The specific dollar amount $242 seems to be a VERY common amount for in-app upgrades on this route. Dont know what that means but its (mildly) interesting.
stephem likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I found a couple of excellent upgrade opportunities on midcon routes yesterday. SAN-DFW on December 20th for $146 and DFW-SFO for $150 on January 3rd. I purchased both of those upgrades at those amounts. On both of those flights, the upgrade offers started around $800 when I booked them a few months ago. They went down to around $500, and then they went down to $272. I wasn't going to bote at any of those. However, once they got down around $150, I feel like that's a great deal. As a platinum pro, I have very little chance of getting upgraded on DFW flights to any destination of consequence.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
From people's experience, if I purchase a standard Economy ticket and put in for a mileage upgrade, will upgrade offers for cash still appear in the app? Or by being on the mileage upgrade waitlist, do cash upgrades not appear as an option?

Thanks!
-Matt
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, DL FO
Originally Posted by ConstellationClass
The specific dollar amount $242 seems to be a VERY common amount for in-app upgrades on this route. Dont know what that means but its (mildly) interesting.
It equals $225 + tax when you get the receipt.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlier
Outbound to Asia with longhaul segment being DFW-NRT. Four of us on one PNR. About six weeks out, I saw an offer for Y to J for $350 per person. It was J6 on ExpertFlyer at that point. Gladly took the offer to upgrade all four of us.

Inbound from Asia with longhaul segment being ICN-DFW. Tons of space with EF showing J7 and the seat map with 20 empty seat. I was going to try SWUs for all four of us but didn't add us to the upgrade waitlist yet. I haven't seen any upgrade space (C0) on this route despite monitoring over the last two weeks. However, several flights have gone to J0 a few days before departure. Unclear whether that is due to upgrade waitlists clearing or whether it is because people are checking their flights and noticing cheap upgrade offers. Anyway, I am about 6 weeks out from this flight and was offered Y to J for $350 again. While I could have tried to use my SWUs, I wasn't sure about the chances of having all four of us clear with SWUs given the cheap upgrade offers. If it were just me traveling alone, I would have waitlisted with a SWU. However, as there are four of us, I took the paid upgrade.

So eight flights to/from DFW & Asia, upgraded at $350 each!

Also, just one datapoint that despite taking an offer on one of the outbound segments, I continued to get offers on the other segments (including an offer for about the same amount of $323 for a 3 hour domestic flight - ha ha!). I agree with the others that it sucks not to get loyalty points, but I paid with my AmEx Plat and so at least I got 5x points. I also agree that this is AA monetizing upgrades that I probably could have gotten with my ExPlat status, but $350 for J to Asia is pretty darn good, particularly for a group of four which is very difficult to upgrade otherwise.
$350 for international upgrade is amazing, considering that's the copay for a miles + copay upgrade. Starting to think EXP and getting SWUs is somewhat useless. I can usually find flights to confirm SWUs, but may make sense to roll the dice.
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:43 pm

Anyone with experience of how AA economy fares upgraded via app offer to business or first wind up crediting with partners, Alaska specfically? Is it as the original eco fare? I have had some BA paid upgrades credit as if reticketed into the higher cabin which is why I ask.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:44 pm

This has been my experience too, so the moment I see this, I tend to jump. Not sure it would go any lower or remain an option for all that long if others jump at it.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Data point/AAnoyance: one of four segments on a ticket successfully had SWUs applied and cleared; now in-app upgrade offers for the remaining segments dont appear. Honestly seems like a missed revenue opportunity for AA.
Definitely an annoyance -- for me the in-app offers disappear as soon as I waitlist a SWU. My strategy going forward has been to wait until like 1 week out before waitlisting a SWU and checking in-app offers daily (upgrade prices seems to drop around 5-6 weeks out if load is low).

I emailed AAdvantage and their response was :

I contacted a member of our reservation team regarding your question.
They advised the different types of upgrade products are not related,
however, if you are waitlisted using a systemwide upgrade or an upgrade
award the system concludes you are not interested in purchasing an
upgrade if available.
What kind of a flawed logic/assumption is that

I personally feel that AA is not valuing EXP anymore and I will no longer have incentive in the future to try to spend CC or fly towards EXP status. My travel companion got the same in app offer for upgrade ($242) for LAX-JFK and she has no status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.