Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Sometimes. And sometimes not - Ive got an offer right now to upgrade PHL-LAX for $2,481 (um no thanks).
I showed a screenshot of my $4500+ offer for PHX-EWR.

I never got upgrade offers before now, actually. I think it might be because I was almost always on award tickets or BE.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Booked a r/t Economy fare DEN-AKL at a great price but all that was left were middles in E+ or seats in regular Y on the long-hauls. After booking, I checked my booking and was offered $90 for DEN-DFW and $174 to upgrade to premium economy from DFW-AKL. Couldn't click fast enough! Here's hoping for similar luck on the return!

ETA: Got the $175 upgrade price from AKL-DFW on the return to Premium Economy! I'll be hitting 1MM on this flight, too!

Last edited by UAPremierGuy; Oct 8, 2023 at 1:00 am
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:34 pm

Datapoint: Mrs ConstellationClass (EXP) and I (nothing) have been SWU-waitlisted for AA198 next week since March. Growing frustrated as ExpertFlyer ticked downward from J7 to J3 in less than a week, we called the EXP line tonight and asked about the cash upgrade price: $12xx.00. We said no thanks, and kindly remove the SWUs, por favor. Immediately received in-app upgrade offer of $1540. Called EXP line back. Original upgrade offer was still available, so we took it.

Remarkably, by some miracle, mirabile dictu, our waitlisted SWUs for our return (AA151) cleared immediately upon being removed and then reapplied.

Feeling quite pleased this evening and enjoying a single malt with Mrs ConstellationClass. Safe travels, all.
355F1 and Stocks_n_Socks like this.

Last edited by ConstellationClass; Oct 6, 2023 at 10:49 pm Reason: Lols
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:54 pm

Offered $242 to upgrade SFO-CLT at the end of Oct, took it. No status.
355F1 and spiritkat09 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by eeeee
Offered $242 to upgrade SFO-CLT at the end of Oct, took it. No status.
Currently being offered the same on JFK-LAX (F is $484). Meanwhile, BOS-JFK is being offered at $680 (yes). At least this routing is coming back down to earth (each segment was over $2,500 last week) along with a few others later in the year (app offers were greater than the actual fare difference).
Old Oct 8, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by EXP100
The BIG DISADVANTAGE is that LPs aren't awarded on the upgrade fee.
I couldnt agree more. It would be up to EXPs to voice their opinion w AA. How about something less than full LPs but more than nothing. Like 3 LPs per dollar. A lot of these upgrade offers are aimed at non elites anyways.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Currently being offered the same on JFK-LAX (F is $484). Meanwhile, BOS-JFK is being offered at $680 (yes). At least this routing is coming back down to earth (each segment was over $2,500 last week) along with a few others later in the year (app offers were greater than the actual fare difference).
$484 seems to be a common upgrade offer I receive for flights JFK-LAX/SNA from Y to J. At under a $100 per flight hour and access to Greenwich Lounge, I always take it. Never been offered Y to F for $484. Enjoy the Soho Lounge.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
My current offer for J to F SFO-JFK next March is $1464.... 🤣 It is the last leg of a one-way 5 flight flexible J itinerary starting in AKL with a PHX stopover. The entire itinerary was $2.2K.

That is one expensive bowl of soup. I think I will pass.

James
My upgrade offer was around $1500 several weeks ago. As you get within 4-6 weeks of the flight, my experience is the algorithm/pricing becomes much more realistic based on the inventory that needs to be moved.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bgasser
My upgrade offer was around $1500 several weeks ago. As you get within 4-6 weeks of the flight, my experience is the algorithm/pricing becomes much more realistic based on the inventory that needs to be moved.
Yes, I have seen that before. JFK-LAX J to F for $700 for months. It then dropped to $350 about 2 months out. It eventually went back to $700 and never dropped again. On a per segment basis, my SFO-JFK J leg was about $450. I have no intention to upgrade.

James
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:32 am

Got an offer for $270 per seat on CUN to ORD in December.

Im barely platinum and may reach plat pro by then, but I doubt Ill get the free upgrade.

Do yall think this is worth it?

GF doesnt have status and never sat up front.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Originally Posted by Stocks_n_Socks

GF never sat up front.
I think you know the answer, particularly flying out of CUN
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:03 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Got an offer for $270 per seat on CUN to ORD in December.

Im barely platinum and may reach plat pro by then, but I doubt Ill get the free upgrade.

GF doesnt have status and never sat up front.
Yes, especially if you want to treat the lady to the front of the plane at a reasonable cost.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:08 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1
Yes, especially if you want to treat the lady to the front of the plane at a reasonable cost.
Or half the cost if you want to be separate for a few hours! - But yes, I also agree that it is worth it, especially on a flight from CUN, just check the seat map to make sure there are two seats together if you want to sit next to each other.
Stocks_n_Socks likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by MELso
I think you know the answer, particularly flying out of CUN
Originally Posted by 355F1
Originally Posted by S80
Or half the cost if you want to be separate for a few hours! - But yes, I also agree that it is worth it, especially on a flight from CUN, just check the seat map to make sure there are two seats together if you want to sit next to each other.
Thanks for the advice, guys!

Im dumb. I meant to write ORD to CUN. So if I jump on these, we would be up front on the way to Cancun. 😆

Oddly enough, Im getting a similar offer on the way back. $281 per seat.

Now I dont really know which to choose.

Upgrade on the way there or the way back? Ill probably go with the way there.

Do you think the price on this offer could drop more?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:59 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the advice, guys!

Im dumb. I meant to write ORD to CUN. So if I jump on these, we would be up front on the way to Cancun. 😆

Oddly enough, Im getting a similar offer on the way back. $281 per seat.

Now I dont really know which to choose.

Upgrade on the way there or the way back? Ill probably go with the way there.

Do you think the price on this offer could drop more?
For which direction, that is a personal choice, whether you want the excitement there, or making leaving less difficult.

The algorithm is more secret than anything I know, so it's really anybody's guess. If they think they can get more money by lowering the price over selling a seat outright, they might, or it might double.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.