Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancelled my paid business reservation and told me "sorry" (and booked on BA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cancelled my paid business reservation and told me "sorry" (and booked on BA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

I was ticketed in February for a flight ORD-LHR-FCO. When they did network updates for August schedules recently, it so happened our flight was one to be cut, so we were added onto one of the remaining flights. Luckily, there was still J selection available so I thought all is well. Then the return, a non-stop FCO-ORD was cancelled and they reroutes us FCO-DFW-ORD, arriving very late. I called and had that switched to FCO-LHR-ORD for a similar arrival time. So when they reissued that part of the ticket, it exchanged and cancelled the rebooked ORD-LHR segment. After logging in and not being able to see my seats, I figured I would call- and that's how I found out we were no longer booked on this AA flight. The agent was able to clean up my multiple PNRs from all the changes and then told me there is no longer business available and they will have to put me on BA- which I specifically don't want the BA flight ORD-LHR, especially if it downgrades to a 777 or 789 with the older business seats. When I went to check on the BA seat assignments, of course they want hundreds of dollars to select seats, and the agent said there is nothing she can do about that either.

I'm really just in shock at this and how you can pay so much for a service but at the end of the day these companies win and you absolutely do not get what you paid for. Perhaps I should call BA and ask about assigning seats? Experience tells me that probably won't work and I should just pay the money and shut up.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by freebeernwine
I was ticketed in February for a flight ORD-LHR-FCO. When they did network updates for August schedules recently, it so happened our flight was one to be cut, so we were added onto one of the remaining flights. Luckily, there was still J selection available so I thought all is well. Then the return, a non-stop FCO-ORD was cancelled and they reroutes us FCO-DFW-ORD, arriving very late. I called and had that switched to FCO-LHR-ORD for a similar arrival time. So when they reissued that part of the ticket, it exchanged and cancelled the rebooked ORD-LHR segment. After logging in and not being able to see my seats, I figured I would call- and that's how I found out we were no longer booked on this AA flight. The agent was able to clean up my multiple PNRs from all the changes and then told me there is no longer business available and they will have to put me on BA- which I specifically don't want the BA flight ORD-LHR, especially if it downgrades to a 777 or 789 with the older business seats. When I went to check on the BA seat assignments, of course they want hundreds of dollars to select seats, and the agent said there is nothing she can do about that either.

I'm really just in shock at this and how you can pay so much for a service but at the end of the day these companies win and you absolutely do not get what you paid for. Perhaps I should call BA and ask about assigning seats? Experience tells me that probably won't work and I should just pay the money and shut up.
As much as it sucks, what can AA do? If the flight no longer exists , it doesn't exist - they seem to have made efforts to re accommodate you.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
duplicate
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have status with OneWorld? If you don't have status with OW, you will have to pay for seat assignments on BA
As someone else said, if there is no longer a business class seat on AA, there isn't anything they can do to get you a business class seat on AA
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Nope, no status with OW. Evidently when they edited the return section, it cancelled us off our outbound AA operated flight. Hence losing the seats and now that flight is full in J. Oh well.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Nope, no status with OW. Evidently when they edited the return section, it cancelled us off our outbound AA operated flight. Hence losing the seats and now that flight is full in J. Oh well.
Ahh.. i missed that part. That sucks. Keep checking and see if something opens up.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Ahh.. i missed that part. That sucks. Keep checking and see if something opens up.
They moved us to BA. They have open seats, I just have to pay $296 for advance seat assignments on the BA flight.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
what does the seat map on the BA flight look like?

If it's1-2-1 then the flight is the new club suite.

Calling BA for seat assignements won't work because their policy is pay for a specific seat if you don't have status. If you aren't bothered about where you sit then don't pay.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They moved us to BA. They have open seats, I just have to pay $296 for advance seat assignments on the BA flight.
You do not have to pay. Payment is for a specific seat selection. If you chose not to pay BA will allocate you a seat assignment closer to departure. Look closer to the departure date: say from 7 days out and 24hrs out. This BA policy is liked by those with BA (& OW) status
AA master thread (open the wiki)--->BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.
Anyway between now and when you fly the flight schedule may change again.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you considered another airline to FCO?
Since there is no status, you aren't tied to AA, and the schedule change entitles you to a refund if you want.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully BA ends up operating this flight with the 781 as planned and there is not (another) network adjustment or plane swap to a lesser quality equipment (end of August). Schedule (knock on wood) seems firmed up now.

I'm still beyond pissed. How does a PNR just disappear like that? There needs to be some accountability with the process. Our reservation was rebooked (return) and the outbound was just given away? It makes no sense whatsoever. As I said earlier "oh well" because I know you can't win.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I recommend some perspective. AA accommodated you in J on BA instead of cancelling the reservation outright. I've flown BA J as much as I've flown AA J. Both are fine products and you'll have a good flight either way.

The fact BA won't let you select seats even in J annoys everyone, including regular BA customers, but AA can't override that.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I recommend some perspective. AA accommodated you in J on BA instead of cancelling the reservation outright. I've flown BA J as much as I've flown AA J. Both are fine products and you'll have a good flight either way.

The fact BA won't let you select seats even in J annoys everyone, including regular BA customers, but AA can't override that.
It does seem the title is misleading... AA "told me sorry...and rebooked me onto BA."
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Yeah don't pay BA, you're still in Biz class right? You'll get a biz class seat, just not the one you specifically choose unless I'm missing something.
Mwenenzi and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
What happened to the OP is a common issue. All airlines possibly will not have seats or accommodations when your flights are altered. I have stopped playing games and unless the routing just doesn’t work at all I just go with it. Been burned exactly like this way too many times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.