Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Three Free Bags on International Economy??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Was doing some flight searching today and Google Flights redirected me to an AA flight BER-FRA-DFW-MSP and MSP-CLT-LHR-BER return with three free checked bags on economy. Anyone know how something like this happens? I booked for the wife and me and we may cancel our previous booking with Delta/Air France. I even called in to AA and the agent confirmed that three bags should be checked all the way. I am a little worried about the first leg on Lufthansa and the last one on BA, but in the worst case we should get one bag with main cabin, right? Can't post a screenshot because I'm too new here.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:18 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
My belief is that Google Flights is incorrect, but you will get at least one free checked bag if you have not booked a basic economy ticket, because both the American and Lufthansa bag policies say you do on non-Basic economy tickets

When I put it into Google Flights, it only says first checked bag free (see screenshot).

Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
OP are you One World Emerald?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Nope, no status on oneworld. Apparently it's booking code O which I just found out is a consolidator fare. Maybe Google Flights just had a bunch of checked bags to dump with their tickets.

VFR, if you click through the Google Flights link it's actually AA's booking website that showed the three bags.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
This doesn’t sound very correct since most AA TATL flights only have 1 free checked bag... but AA (and LH in this sense) has to honor what is printed in the fare rules and on the ticket receipt.

O class is First Class award on LH - maybe that’s why?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not rely on third-party sites. You really need to check the baggage allowances disclosed on the carrier's website. For travel to, from or within the US, US law requires those to be accurately posted. Additionally, your baggage allowance for the entire ticket is determined by the marketing carrier for the first segment.

If the marketing carrier is AA, the AA website chart applies and your allowance is one bag weighing no more than 23 kgs (unless you have purchased Basic Economy). As others note, there may be waivers for additional bags and weight, but those do not appear to apply here and would only apply to AA-operated segments.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:38 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
There don’t seem to be any AA codeshares on LH metal, so the FMC is likely Lufthansa. On (non-Basic) LH economy fares they allow one checked bag; I believe they will apply the transatlantic bag fee schedule, but it is one bag intra-Europe as well.

First marketing carrier is US law, and LH actually has the option under US law to apply the MSC’s bag policy (i.e. AA), though I don’t know if they will do that. One bag either way.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by VFR
There don’t seem to be any AA codeshares on LH metal, so the FMC is likely Lufthansa. On (non-Basic) LH economy fares they allow one checked bag; I believe they will apply the transatlantic bag fee schedule, but it is one bag intra-Europe as well.

First marketing carrier is US law, and LH actually has the option under US law to apply the MSC’s bag policy (i.e. AA), though I don’t know if they will do that. One bag either way.
LH did not elect the IATA MSC policy. I don't believe that any of the EU carriers in any alliance did. Would have made administration of highly-profitable JV's all the more difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.