Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International Award for Plat+No-Status, whose miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Award for Plat+No-Status, whose miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question International Award for Plat+No-Status, whose miles?

I plan to book an International award on AA flights for me and my wife on one reservation. I am life-Plat, my wife has no status. We both have lots of miles.
I am considering using miles of my wife (no status) for an Economy award: Questions:
1) Will we be able immediately after booking to select MCE seats, due to my Plat status?
2) If we have to cancel the reservation, Is there a redeposit fee? do we get all fees and taxes back?
3) Any advantages to making the reservation on my miles (I am Plat) vs on my wife's miles (she has no status)?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by IntFF
I plan to book an International award on AA flights for me and my wife on one reservation. I am life-Plat, my wife has no status. We both have lots of miles.
I am considering using miles of my wife (no status) for an Economy award: Questions:
1) Will we be able immediately after booking to select MCE seats, due to my Plat status? Put the reservation on hold from your account for both of you so that the PNRs are combined, then call the platinum desk to complete the transaction using her miles. This should allow both of you to select MCE seats. This has worked successfully for Mrs. GlobalMatt and myself countless times. HUCA, if necessary, until it works.
2) If we have to cancel the reservation, Is there a redeposit fee? do we get all fees and taxes back? No, you'll get everything back without any fees due to COVID-measures in place. Just confirm with Plat desk that this hasn't changed.
3) Any advantages to making the reservation on my miles (I am Plat) vs on my wife's miles (she has no status)? Nope. But if you make the ressy from your AAdvantage account, you should be able to select MCE seats for both of you.
See above bold responses, and this is all assuming you are flying on AA metal.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Many times I have booked flights under my profile, used my wife's miles, and the benefits have been based on my profile.

Even though I fly every week, and my wife accompanies me at least once a month, It is amazing how many changes have occurred recently. I call the desk any time I have doubts.

I recommend calling before reserving in your case.

Please share what the Plat desk says if you call them.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It doesn't matter what account you book the trip from, as long as your PLT number is in the reservation then you get the benefits.

If you're thinking about putting the flight on hold first, it also doesn't matter what account you put the flight on hold with; The miles will be deducted from whatever account you're logged into when you click to ticket it.
Guate87 and seawolf like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 9:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It doesn't matter what account you book the trip from, as long as your PLT number is in the reservation then you get the benefits.

If you're thinking about putting the flight on hold first, it also doesn't matter what account you put the flight on hold with; The miles will be deducted from whatever account you're logged into when you click to ticket it.
+1

This is the most accurate answer. MCE/Priority boarding/baggage is based on having an elite travelling on the reservation not the account the miles was redeemed from.

As such you can book/ticket using wife's account without having to call AA at all. If MCE selection does not show up while booking, you can login to PLT account after ticketing to select MCE seats. No need to call AA at all for this transaction.

If you are thinking of using your miles for one ticket and wife's for the other, then wife's PNR will not have any of the elite in-flight benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.