Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New direct (nonstop) flights from AUS (Austin, TX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New direct (nonstop) flights from AUS (Austin, TX)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2021 | 10:22 am
CLT
10 Years on Site

Programs: Former AA EXP (and former US CP) turned free agent
I wouldn't be surprised to see several routes curtailed during the Christmas period...it looks like AUS-IAD has already been cut the last two weeks of December.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out the long-term sustainability of some of these routes. Some obviously make more sense than others (BOS, IAD, etc) but a twice daily service on CVG-AUS in the middle of a pandemic when business travel is extremely low makes no sense to me. Frankly I don't understand how these are "leisure" routes either. I've been to the area thrice now within the past two years (my best friends live in the Barton Springs area of town) and it's a fine city, but I found it to be incredibly overhyped for what it is (the city does have an impressive marketing strategy, however) and overall lacking the tourist infrastructure that other cities have.
LovePrunes and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Sep 2, 2021 | 11:03 am
50 Countries Visited3M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA LT PLT+2MM, BA Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CLT
I wouldn't be surprised to see several routes curtailed during the Christmas period...it looks like AUS-IAD has already been cut the last two weeks of December.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out the long-term sustainability of some of these routes. Some obviously make more sense than others (BOS, IAD, etc) but a twice daily service on CVG-AUS in the middle of a pandemic when business travel is extremely low makes no sense to me. Frankly I don't understand how these are "leisure" routes either. I've been to the area thrice now within the past two years (my best friends live in the Barton Springs area of town) and it's a fine city, but I found it to be incredibly overhyped for what it is (the city does have an impressive marketing strategy, however) and overall lacking the tourist infrastructure that other cities have.
As a 21 year resident of Austin, I have never considered it a "tourist" city in the traditional sense. It has some great events, SXSW, the ACL Festival, and F1 to mention a few, which bring in large out of town crowds, but year round, there is not much to do except enjoy some great non-chain restaurants and music. It's definitely a growing business hub, tech especially, so those routes should do well most of the year..

Of course I don't blame those in charge of marketing the city for their efforts, it's their mission after all. But business travel, WHEN it recovers, will be backbone of the direct routes to/from Austin. Bring back the nerdbird!.

Of course Austinites do themselves appreciate having direct connections to actual tourist destinations...

Last edited by teemuflyer; Sep 2, 2021 at 11:15 am
Old Sep 2, 2021 | 11:08 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I think its route dependent. I looked at IAD-AUS flight schedule for 8:00 pm tonight (gets into AUS after 10:30 pm so its all holiday makers, or AUS residents). I'd say the flight is 70% full. Tomorrow's afternoon departure is more like 80% full.

And this is at an airport (IAD) which AA has all but abandoned.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021 | 11:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
And this is at an airport (IAD) which AA has all but abandoned.
AUS-DCA is just outside of the range for the DCA perimeter rule, and I guess AA doesn't want to use one of their exemption slots to cover it. So alternatives like IAD come in handy here.
njvandy and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Sep 2, 2021 | 7:42 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: UA - 1K, DL-DM, AS-MVP100, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I don’t think the extra Austin flights are anything more than an effort to drive Delta into retreat mode on their plans to create a focus city in what AA previously considered a stronghold. Once DL pulls back these non-hub flights will be greatly reduced.
Old Sep 2, 2021 | 8:10 pm
VFR
5 Years on Site

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I think the increased flying is due to needing somewhere to send the narrowbodies. The world changed with COVID and adding another DFW or CLT departure didn't necessarily work. AUS is close to home and AA has traditionally been a strong #2 carrier there after WN.

It's interesting to me that Delta seemed to choose the opposite strategy: abandon most point-to-point flying and concentrate everything through ATL, DTW, MSP, and SLC. It remains to be seen if one strategy worked better than the other.

Delta calls AUS a focus city, but currently only flies from there to its hubs, RDU, and CVG. When asked, Delta said there's no real criteria they use to term something a focus city, it's just marketing.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021 | 3:30 pm

Since when has AA started using AUS as a hub?

I was looking to book LAS-JAX in November and wasn't paying all that much attention to the connection city (would have been DFW, CLT or ORD, all of which are fine).

When I was selecting seats I noticed that the connection was in Austin. Huh? Since when has AA been using Austin Texas as a connection airport?

Problem with that is that you don't have many options if you get stuck in Austin and your connecting flight doesn't go...DFW is bad enough..
Old Sep 21, 2021 | 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
AA has significantly added to its service in AUS, so why not offer connecting opportunities through it?

New direct (nonstop) flights from AUS (Austin, TX) - FlyerTalk Forums
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021 | 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
AA offers connections all over the place. I've connected in MSY, EYW and PIA for example.
Old Sep 21, 2021 | 4:26 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Choice Hotels
As a gold/plat, there have been several times where I have chosen somewhat wonky connections to either increase my chances of an upgrade, save on stickers, or both. A few months ago I flew PHX-FLG-DFW.

However AUS isn't that wonky these days. With the number of destinations they have, there are quite a few connection opportunities. In some cases, out of OKC, a connection through AUS is the cheapest option for itineraries I have looked at booking less than 7 days out. For itineraries well into the future, it seems to price out even with the other cheapest options.
Old Sep 21, 2021 | 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Antarius
AA offers connections all over the place. I've connected in MSY, EYW and PIA for example.
EYW and PIA may have been broken fares (I'm not seeing these as allowed on current fares, but I suppose they could have been allowed pre-Covid). It's not the same as an allowed routing on a single through fare . AA tends to be more liberal with allowed fare routings in their routing rules than UA/DL.

LAS-JAX
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. LAS-AUS-JAX
2. LAS-CHI-JAX
3. LAS-PHX/LAX/DFW-MIA/DFW/CLT-JAX
4. LAS-LAX-PHX-JAX

DFW-DCA
1. DFW-BNA/CLE/CMH/DAY/IND/PIT/RDU/SDF/STL/TYS-WAS
2. DFW-BOS/CHI/CLT/DFW/MIA/NYC/PHL/WAS-CLT-WAS
3. DFW-BOS/CHI/CLT/DFW/MIA/NYC/PHL/WAS-WAS
4. DFW-CLT-WAS
5. DFW-WAS

DFW-MIA
1. DFW-ATL/AUS/FMY/GNV/HOU/JAX/MSY/ORL/PNS/STL/TPA-MIA
2. DFW-CHI/CLT/MIA/PHL/WAS-MIA
3. DFW-MIA

The above routing is not available on all DFW-MIA fares and the cheapest AA fares on this route require non-stop routing.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 21, 2021 at 5:27 pm
Old Sep 21, 2021 | 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Boyfriend did a hotwire or priceline flight the other day, I didn't even know those were a thing. He was going to Fort Smith, Arkansas to buy a car. Cheapest flight was $500 but he paid $297 and the mystery routing became on American Airlines, via LAX-AUS-DFW-FSM. So he did both Texas "hubs" if you want to call Austin a hub. I honestly wish Austin was the hub and DFW didn't exist but... alas.
Old Sep 21, 2021 | 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by xliioper
EYW and PIA may have been broken fares (I'm not seeing these as allowed on current fares, but I suppose they could have been allowed pre-Covid). It's not the same as an allowed routing on a single through fare . AA tends to be more liberal with allowed fare routings in their routing rules than UA/DL.

LAS-JAX
1. LAS-AUS-JAX
2. LAS-CHI-JAX
3. LAS-PHX/LAX/DFW-MIA/DFW/CLT-JAX
4. LAS-LAX-PHX-JAX

DFW-DCA
1. DFW-BNA/CLE/CMH/DAY/IND/PIT/RDU/SDF/STL/TYS-WAS
2. DFW-BOS/CHI/CLT/DFW/MIA/NYC/PHL/WAS-CLT-WAS
3. DFW-BOS/CHI/CLT/DFW/MIA/NYC/PHL/WAS-WAS
4. DFW-CLT-WAS
5. DFW-WAS

DFW-MIA
1. DFW-ATL/AUS/FMY/GNV/HOU/JAX/MSY/ORL/PNS/STL/TPA-MIA
2. DFW-CHI/CLT/MIA/PHL/WAS-MIA
3. DFW-MIA

The above routing is not available on all DFW-MIA fares and the cheapest AA fares on this route require non-stop routing.
This was pre-covid. DFW-PIA-ORD and CLT-EYW-MIA-BOG

I have also done DFW-MEX-LAX, but that was IRROPS and as I have since learned, not supposed to be allowed.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 9:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Not sure if it was shared in this thread, but when I flew out of AUS a few weeks ago, the AAgents (who oddly weren't busy) shared that AA is adding AUS-DEN and AUS-ASE service later this year (the AAgent also added how AA had 'acquired' 3 UA check-in stations at AUS). When I was checking in at DEN a few days later, I mentioned it to the AAgent there, who hadn't heard, but pulled up something on her computer and verified.

This is an interesting story:
Austin: A Unique Glimpse At The Future For American Airlines - Simple Flying

Growth in Austin first started in earnest in March. While the airline had some action pre-crisis on routes, the carrier came in with ten new routes from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) to some top business and leisure destinations, including Orlando, Las Vegas, Nashville, Raleigh, and Washington D.C., among others.

Then, in June, American announced a second expansion out of Austin with 14 new destinations. This mainly included secondary cities in the United States like Kansas City, Indianapolis, Reno, and Tulsa. Abroad, American added flights to Mexico, Costa Rica, and the Caribbean. Since then, American has also quietly added some new destinations from Austin, like Denver.
This map has all of the nonstops from AUS (including hubs)

The map a little further down on that page, with the combined AA/partner routes in the US, is rather impressive:

Also to note, the BA AUS-LHR service is returning on 10/13, for 3 days a week.
https://www.austintexas.gov/news/bri...3zCd5-Kjy6ECWo
AUSTIN, Texas – Following a 17 month absence, transatlantic service will return to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, as British Airways will soon resume their popular nonstop service from Austin to London-Heathrow (LHR) on October 13.

Having operated in Austin since March 2014, British Airway’s resumed service is scheduled for three days a week on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, aboard a Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

Flight number BA190 will depart Austin at 8:05 p.m. and arrive in London at 10:10 a.m. the following morning. BA191 departs at 12:10 p.m. arriving in Austin at 4:45 p.m. All times are local.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 12:24 pm
50 Countries Visited3M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA LT PLT+2MM, BA Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
Not sure if it was shared in this thread, but when I flew out of AUS a few weeks ago, the AAgents (who oddly weren't busy) shared that AA is adding AUS-DEN and AUS-ASE service later this year (the AAgent also added how AA had 'acquired' 3 UA check-in stations at AUS). When I was checking in at DEN a few days later, I mentioned it to the AAgent there, who hadn't heard, but pulled up something on her computer and verified.

This is an interesting story:
Austin: A Unique Glimpse At The Future For American Airlines - Simple Flying

This map has all of the nonstops from AUS (including hubs)

The map a little further down on that page, with the combined AA/partner routes in the US, is rather impressive:

Also to note, the BA AUS-LHR service is returning on 10/13, for 3 days a week.
https://www.austintexas.gov/news/bri...3zCd5-Kjy6ECWo
Definitely becoming a mini-hub...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.