Wiki Posts
Search

MIA-TLV-MIA mileage availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
MIA-TLV-MIA mileage availability

It looks like AA is not offering the low level business class award on MIA-TLV or TLV-MIA. Ironically though, if you travel TLV-XXX it will route you TLV-MIA-XXX at the low redemption level.

I've never seen a US airline do this. Usually for mileage redemption if the segment is available as a connection, it is available direct. e.g. I've never had mileage availability change on UA or DL by adding a segment.

How strict is the enforcement by AA if one were to fly TLV-MIA and forget to take the last leg?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
It looks like AA is not offering the low level business class award on MIA-TLV or TLV-MIA. Ironically though, if you travel TLV-XXX it will route you TLV-MIA-XXX at the low redemption level.

I've never seen a US airline do this. Usually for mileage redemption if the segment is available as a connection, it is available direct. e.g. I've never had mileage availability change on UA or DL by adding a segment.

How strict is the enforcement by AA if one were to fly TLV-MIA and forget to take the last leg?
Married segment logic exists for award tickets on AA. That's why. Its the same reason that DFW-CLT is 400 bucks one way, but DFW-CLT-RDU is half that.
MarkY123 and madmanshoney like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Historically not strict if it's only occasional, but there have been indications recently that AA will be cracking down more.

I would try to schedule the MIA-XXX for the next day. And when you get to MIA, actually go on AA.com and cancel that segment.
dw likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EP
this has been going on for a while now. Flights hubs are considered a premium, ie FRA DFW or say MUC CLT. But if you take a connecting flight say MUC CLT DFW or FRA CKT DFW the saver or low web special rate will usually show up.

Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Historically not strict if it's only occasional, but there have been indications recently that AA will be cracking down more.

I would try to schedule the MIA-XXX for the next day. And when you get to MIA, actually go on AA.com and cancel that segment.
Does it have to be the next day or can't you just go online after your the first leg and cancel the remainder?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You would be engaging in Hidden City Ticketting which is against the AA conditions of carriage.

AA is actually cracking down on this and it has included sending passengers bills for the fare difference and / or closing down their AA accounts.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Married segment logic exists for award tickets on AA. That's why. Its the same reason that DFW-CLT is 400 bucks one way, but DFW-CLT-RDU is half that.
Except they aren't really the same thing. The main reason that DFW-CLT can be $400, while DFW-CLT-RDU is $200, is that there are different fare filings for DFW-CLT vs. DFW-RDU, not married segment logic (further, AA can have different fare filings for DFW-RDU non-stop, vs DFW-RDU connecting). Generally speaking, air fares are not generated in an additive hop-by-hop manner. While it can be true (broken fares), it's not the way it is usually is done. While there can be different bucket availability on the DFW-CLT segment for DFW-CLT fares than for DFW-RDU fares at times, that's not the main driver for the pricing differences. Presumably, it is the main reason for international award differences (assuming all award levels are the same from region to region). Domestically, at least, this assumption is no longer true as different routes have different award levels and there is no one set of domestic award levels.

While the motivations are certainly the same (non-stop flights can attract a pricing premium over connecting), the mechanisms (for awards vs. revenue fares) are actually quite a bit different.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 8, 2021 at 10:02 am
Old Mar 8, 2021, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

I guess you could hop to an XXX that has a cheap one way to Miami (cash or miles)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.