AA affected by SITA breach

Also affecting
UA
BA
Finnair
and others

March 5, 2021

Hello [firstname lastname redacted],

We are informing you of a recent event that may have involved a limited amount of your AAdvantage® information.

American Airlines was recently notified by SITA, an information technology company that provides services to many international carriers, that SITA suffered a data security incident involving a limited amount of AAdvantage loyalty data residing on SITA’s passenger service system (SITA PSS). Importantly, the incident did not result in the compromise of any AAdvantage account passwords or financial information that may be stored in your AAdvantage account. American’s systems were not involved in this incident.

American is not a customer of SITA PSS. However, the incident did impact certain AAdvantage loyalty data as some of our airline partners store loyalty data in SITA PSS. We exchange a limited set of frequent flyer loyalty data with our airline partners to ensure recognition of our AAdvantage members’ loyalty status when traveling.

We have confirmed with SITA that your name, elite status, and AAdvantage number may have been affected by the incident. While American has no evidence that your AAdvantage information has been misused, we wanted to alert you of this incident.

As a best practice, we recommend you update your AAdvantage password regularly and use complex and unique passwords. While we do not believe your account is at risk, if you would like to reset your AAdvantage password as a precaution, you can reset your password here.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and remain committed to the protection of your personal information.

Sincerely,

Russell Hubbard

Chief Privacy Officer, American Airlines
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Just got this as well.

So their recommendation is to update the password - why the heck are these idiots sharing passwords with SITA in the first place?

This crap is getting ridiculous and these companies need to be held accountable for data leaks. It needs to cost them in a way that has significant pain to them, or it's just going to continue.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:25 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Stocktc1; Mar 5, 2021 at 6:28 pm Reason: Delete
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Just got this as well.

So their recommendation is to update the password - why the heck are these idiots sharing passwords with SITA in the first place?
No passwords were shared.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:32 pm

How many miles we getting for the inconvenience ? 😀
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
How did all of the OneWorld carriers FF info get affected by a leak at a Star Alliance carrier? UA's email specifically states only certain *A levels were leaked for benefit reasons, so why was the OW data even in the same set?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Got the email

I received the same email.
I have a credit card stored under my AA account --- will have to monitor that.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by flightrisk
How did all of the OneWorld carriers FF info get affected by a leak at a Star Alliance carrier? UA's email specifically states only certain *A levels were leaked for benefit reasons, so why was the OW data even in the same set?
Read the email posted upthread first.

UA nor AA utilize SITA but some of their respective partners do. Within each alliance, there are some level of info sharing to make traveling across carriers easier, for example.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:20 pm

I got a similar email this morning from SQ, and just now from AA.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:33 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
The only oneWorld airline hosted in SITA PSS is (I believe) S7. Have you flown on S7, lately? If not just move on... (and changing password from time to time is always a good idea)...
Repooc17 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I received the same e-mail at 11:25pm ET on 3/5.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Just got this as well.

They didn't. However, if you flew an AA codeshare or a reward flight with a OW or *A partner your FFN, Full Name and Status Level (and potentially your points balance) may have been passed to the partner airline using the SITA Horizon PSS.

Since many people practice poor password management and re-use passwords on different sites hackers could theoretically match up your FFN and Name from the SITA attack with hacked Name/Email/Password information already 'out there' as a result of other unconnected attacks and this would give them enough information to make an attack on your AA account. The risk is very small, as the email acknowledges, but there is some level of risk, hence the suggestion that one might wish to change ones password.

Originally Posted by flightrisk
The attack was directed at SITA's servers in Atlanta, GA, not at the airline, although the vector for the attack may have been lax security protocols at an end user. It is, frankly, very unlikely that SITA maintains parallel separate databases of Name, Number, Status (etc.) for OW and *A airlines so once they're in to the SITA data hub both OW and *A records are compromised.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:38 am

I got this e-mail too and almost thought it was some kind of spam especially with the change password "here" link seeming too suspicious and convenient
Old Mar 6, 2021, 5:04 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I go the same e-mail from AA.

JAL has indicated that information compromized on thier FF program were:

Name
FF account number
OneWorld elite status

Is this the reason when making a reservation directly with an OneWorld partner airline and putting my FF number in the reservation, the system immidiately know my OneWorld elite status and able to choose seats which are not abailable to none status passengers?

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Mar 6, 2021 at 5:10 am
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:52 am

AA seems to be saying it doesn't believe there's a problem, but if you do you should do something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.