Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not showing on upgrade waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
It did not resolve itself automatically for me unfortunately. An agent at the checkin counters fixed it in a minute. Nothing lost at least, except a few more minutes of sleep to get to the airport earlier before upgrades started clearing.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Is there a way to check if I'm on the upgrade waitlist (with miles)?

Sorry for my ignorance - I don't fly AA that often. I requested for an upgrade with miles on the phone and was told I'd be put on the waitlist, but I don't see any miles taken out of my account, nor do I see any change in my itinerary ... is there any way to confirm that the request was made?

(Itinerary was booked on aa.com but using my BA frequent flyer number).
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
At this point all you need to do is wait. If your upgrade clears the miles will be withdrawn from your account and your ticket will change. Otherwise nothing will happen or show on your record.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:37 am

This just happened to me and after hours on hold waiting for an agent they refused to help at all. Just said go to airport and check with an agent. That’s not much comfort as you watch the upgrades slip away.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Sorry for my ignorance - I don't fly AA that often. I requested for an upgrade with miles on the phone and was told I'd be put on the waitlist, but I don't see any miles taken out of my account, nor do I see any change in my itinerary ... is there any way to confirm that the request was made?

(Itinerary was booked on aa.com but using my BA frequent flyer number).
Originally Posted by MorganB
At this point all you need to do is wait. If your upgrade clears the miles will be withdrawn from your account and your ticket will change. Otherwise nothing will happen or show on your record.
Originally Posted by olouie
This just happened to me and after hours on hold waiting for an agent they refused to help at all. Just said go to airport and check with an agent. That’s not much comfort as you watch the upgrades slip away.
It's really not that difficult to get an ExpertFlyer subscription and monitor C upgrade inventory.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
It's really not that difficult to get an ExpertFlyer subscription and monitor C upgrade inventory.
I have that. Just trying to get on the comp upgrade lists. Not showing up at all. Even gate agents are shocked that we aren’t in the lists. But hey AA MIA agents recommend I buy an admiral club membership to get assistance as the phone and airport rebooking waits are hours long. That’s one way to generate revenue.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I have that. Just trying to get on the comp upgrade lists. Not showing up at all. Even gate agents are shocked that we aren’t in the lists. But hey AA MIA agents recommend I buy an admiral club membership to get assistance as the phone and airport rebooking waits are hours long. That’s one way to generate revenue.
Wait ... the discussion was about miles being deducted and not about complimentary upgrades. That's what I was responding to.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The agent is not "refusing" to help. They are unable to help. Once it's under airport control the phone agents can't touch it.

This has happened to me before when purchasing a few hours prior to departure, or when changing flights within a few hours of departure. You will not be automatically added in these cases. But the gate agent can add you without issue. Be sure to ask before the T-40 auto clearing happens and you should be fine
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But the gate agent can add you without issue. Be sure to ask before the T-40 auto clearing happens and you should be fine
I’ve also had the agents in the AC add me to the list after an irrops rebooking done over the phone. And upgrades can still clear from the list prior to T-40 min, so not being on the list from the start isn’t ideal.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
I’ve also had the agents in the AC add me to the list after an irrops rebooking done over the phone. And upgrades can still clear from the list prior to T-40 min, so not being on the list from the start isn’t ideal.
It's not ideal but they won't clear all the way down to no seats left that early so it's very unlikely to hurt you.

If the people who cleared were ahead of you, they would have cleared before you anyway so it doesn't matter.

If the people who cleared were behind you then when you get added you will be #1 and should clear into one of the remaining seats.

It's only a problem if someone below you clears and then the remaining F seats get sold or taken by people changing flights. It's certainly possible but really unlikely.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Gold
There seems to be some sort of a glitch with the upgrade waitlist. I am EXP with ~50,000 LP this year and ~12,500 EQD last year.

It does hurt you, because in my recent experience as an EXP I have had upgrades that possibly did not clear at the appropriate times in advance, which might have entitled me to use the Flagship Lounge where I could have relaxed and had a nice meal.

Instead, I had to spend 30+ minutes with the help desk inside the Admiral's Club on my last 2 flights where they saw my upgrade request had been put in under my companion's status (PLT) and the help desk there had to call Dallas or work with multiple supervisors to straighten it out. it would be nice to just relax in the AC knowing that I am listed in the right order without having to double check.

In the end, I was put top of the list both times and the last 2 upgrades cleared but not in advance. One minutes before boarding and the other after they closed the plane door.

I have also had multiple experiences of having to debate with check-in agents about being added to the upgrade list and checking that I am under the right priority. I have been told, "It's sold out," "there are higher status members ahead of you," "it's checked in full," etc., etc., as a reason not to add me or correct my priority, and yet I have cleared more often than not this year after persisting to be placed under the correct priority on the waitlist.

I have also had to ask manually to be added to the Alaska upgrade lists. I do clear, but there is something that is not adding me automatically.

I should add that in all of the above cases these were flights I booked several weeks in advance, so not an issue of being a late change or purchase.

Last edited by Cheynewalk; Apr 25, 2022 at 9:23 am
Old Mar 27, 2023, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by splatkid10
Already 2x this year I have had a situation where I'm not on the upgrade list and have had to either call in or see the gate agent about getting added. In the latter case, as soon as I was added, I was upgraded. In both instances the app said my complimentary upgrades were requested at time of ticketing. One of these times I did have an itinerary change about 10 days out from the flight - can't recall if on the other one I also had a flight change.

I'm an EP and my only guess is that the flight changes caused some oddity the system couldn't handle...but that seems like a stretch. When I called in they didn't seem to have me on the waitlist either.

Any idea why this upgrade waitlist is being so elusive for me?
I had the same problem in late February flying from LaGuardia to Chicago. I am platinum pro and made a few changes to my itinerary, and the gate agent was the one who fixed it.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Missing from UG list for flight tomorrow

Second time this has happened in the last couple weeks.
I'm booked thru DFW tomorrow, companion on a separate reservation xrefed. Upgrade showed as requested in his app.

I cleared at the EP window on the first segment, companion didn't. Inventory went from J7 to J4, then down to J1 this morning at check-in.
Chatted with support at some point to make sure he was on the upgrade list. They wouldn't/couldn't tell me his position, but did say he was listed as Executive Platinum.

When the list appeared for the first segment, he was not on the list at all. I called the EP desk, and they added him. He appeared as #1, but it now does not look like we'll get seats together if he clears.

I asked the agent if she could see where we are on the list for the second flight. She told me that she can only see the first 20 people on the list, and we are not in the top 20. Which leaves me to question whether we are on the list at all.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 7:31 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
This is happening to me now.
TUS-LAX had 6 open seats at T-72 and still 3 open seats at T-12 and the Waitlist names appear. Myself and companion aren’t on the list.
On a 2.5 hour call-back and on chat now hoping someone can fix the glitch.
This has happened before on a last minute flight change where my name and status doesn’t get pulled across but aside from listing my companion for an upgrade on this flight I haven’t made any changes to the res. Weird. And annoying.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LittleBird
This is happening to me now.
TUS-LAX had 6 open seats at T-72 and still 3 open seats at T-12 and the Waitlist names appear. Myself and companion aren’t on the list.
On a 2.5 hour call-back and on chat now hoping someone can fix the glitch.
This has happened before on a last minute flight change where my name and status doesn’t get pulled across but aside from listing my companion for an upgrade on this flight I haven’t made any changes to the res. Weird. And annoying.
IME there is a point in time after which only the GA can add you to the list. This has happened to me on both last minute bookings and last minute flight changes.

As for the booking that you had made days before and not changed, was it a basic economy ticket? You are eligible for upgrades on BE but first the booking code has to be changed from B. There is a batch job that does this automatically but sometimes it fails for some reason, and it has to be done manually. If you see "not available" rather than "automatically requested" under upgrades for a BE ticket, this is most likely the reason. If you are still seeing "not available" a day after booking you are going to need to call in. If you are not EXP, it may not be easy to get an agent who can take care of this. They may just tell you that BE tickets aren't eligible for upgrades.
NYC Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.