Not showing on upgrade waitlist

Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Not showing on upgrade waitlist

Already 2x this year I have had a situation where I'm not on the upgrade list and have had to either call in or see the gate agent about getting added. In the latter case, as soon as I was added, I was upgraded. In both instances the app said my complimentary upgrades were requested at time of ticketing. One of these times I did have an itinerary change about 10 days out from the flight - can't recall if on the other one I also had a flight change.

I'm an EP and my only guess is that the flight changes caused some oddity the system couldn't handle...but that seems like a stretch. When I called in they didn't seem to have me on the waitlist either.

Any idea why this upgrade waitlist is being so elusive for me?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
comp upgrades for a while seem to be all over the place... some will clear at T-100.. and alot are clearing very late.... sometimes right when they announce boarding.
and also in the case of not showing up on the list.... that usually doesnt show until 4 hours before flight...
just wondering are you booking flights on AA or a 3 rd party site.?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
If you are talking about the airport upgrade list, you will not be moved over until you check in. Sometimes that carry over to the airport upgrade list gets lost if you check in too quickly after making a change (common with Same Day Flight Changes), in which case you want to wait 10 minutes or so after the change to check in again. The upgrade request also sometimes doesn't carry over if your first leg is on another carrier - like Alaska, in which case you will need to see an AA agent to add you to the airport upgrade list before your AA leg.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
I had the same thing happen last trip. The gate agent added me to the list. I cleared shortly after.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Also - if booking or switching to a last minute flight within 3hrs of departure you will not be automatically on the upgrade list upon check-in. Need to have an airport agent manually add you to the list despite the app/website indicating upgrade requested. Either the check-in, gate, or AC agents can get you on the list - but not the phone agents.

-FlyerBeek
onanisland, fatmac70 and AA100k like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Another somewhat related data point. If you switch flights between T-24 and T-4 and the premium cabin is open you will not be automatically upgraded but will get upgraded within an hour or so. However, if you check in then you would go to the airport list instead. I've been told by the EXP desk not to check in until the upgrade occurs.
onanisland, AA100k and HofstraJet like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Thanks for the feedback guys. I booked all of this on AA.com and it was all on American metal.

Maybe things are just wonky right now....or the AA systems caught COVID. Who knows.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by splatkid10
Thanks for the feedback guys. I booked all of this on AA.com and it was all on American metal.

Maybe things are just wonky right now....or the AA systems caught COVID. Who knows.
AA's systems were wonky well before COVID. In fact they seem to have improved since COVID.

I do have one interesting question on what I've seen. On the gate standby board I see paxs clearing with a seat assignment in F. More than enough that I would think it wasn't confirmed (purchased) F paxs. As I recall if you wanted to standby for an earlier flight but be upgraded into the premium cabin you had to the first clear standby and then have a GA that would subsequently add you to the upgrade list. So possibly now if there's open F seats and all upgrades have cleared you can be confirmed right into F without the addition step(?)
Old Feb 10, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
This happens to me once every 2-3 years for a month or so. I will not be on any upgrade lists or will be mysteriously passed over and end up #1 uncleared (friends/coworkers who are PLT etc. have cleared at T-48 but I won't and it will be full by airport control). After being frustrated for a month, it fixes itself.

Likely that the carrier pidgeon that AA uses pooped on the punch card machine.
onanisland and Spanish like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I have this problem now- for some reason the 2nd leg of my DCA-CLT-SAN Friday evening .... the CLT-SAN has 3 open FC seats for sale , my upgrade status in the app says “see agent” without giving mr another option or information

I bought 4 stickers earlier in the week so this leg would clear
Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Also - if booking or switching to a last minute flight within 3hrs of departure you will not be automatically on the upgrade list upon check-in. Need to have an airport agent manually add you to the list despite the app/website indicating upgrade requested. Either the check-in, gate, or AC agents can get you on the list - but not the phone agents.

-FlyerBeek
Spot on I booked a flight just over the 3hr mark before departure and had to get added to the waitlist at airport checkin - I did call the EP line and they said they could not help and that I could only be added at the airport - the EP agent said it was 3.5 hrs.
Old May 22, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I requested an upgrade in January for my flight tomorrow (DFW-MSO) and in the app is says that it is requested. I have checked in and have access to the wait list now but the wait list says "No Passengers Listed". I Called the exec plat desk and they said I was on the list and added me again just in case and said the mobile app must be wrong. No clue whats going on here. Thoughts?

Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Having the same issue for an early morning flight tomorrow. EXP line couldnt do much beyond confirming my request was in the system. They couldnt uncheck me in either (I thought that could help.) Is the only way to resolve this at the airport?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
The upgrade list appeared eventually on its own and was correct at the airport.
lrdpenn and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
They couldnt uncheck me in either (I thought that could help.) Is the only way to resolve this at the airport?
It seems the AA agents who know how and/or are willing to uncheck someone is getting smaller and smaller. Not sure why it's so hit-or-miss these days. Never have the same issue with DL or UA.

-FlyerBeek

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.