Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Boeing 777 Seating Guide (772 Zodiac & Collins, 77W / 773)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Community seat recommendations and those seats to be mindful of:

Boeing 777-200ER version 1 (19 in fleet)
Flagship Business: (ZodiacConcept D Business Suite“ angled forward and aft facing seats)
Seats 1ADH, 2L, 3ADH, 4L, 5ADH, and 6L are rearward facing
Seats 1L, 2ADH, 3L, 4ADH, and 5L are forward facing
Seats 7A and 7L have only one window

Main Cabin Extra:
Seats 18A and 18L have a window blank

Boeing 777-200ER version 2 (28 in fleet)
Flagship Business: (Collins “Super Diamond“ forward angled seats)
Seat 6L has only one window
Seats 7A and 7L have only one window

Main Cabin Extra:
Seats 18A and 18L have a window blank

Boeing 777-300ER
Flagship Business:

Seats 3A and 3J have only one window
Ambient noise in the forward cabin is noticeably louder than it is in the rear business cabin
Seats 11A and 11J have only one window
Seats 14A and 14J have only one window

Main Cabin Extra:
Seats 16A and 16L have no windows
Seats 17A and 17L have limited window views
Seats 31A and 31L have no windows

Print Wikipost

AA Boeing 777 Seating Guide (772 Zodiac & Collins, 77W / 773)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
That must have really sucked for the ladies on longer flights. I couldn't imagine having to be lady like for that long with no relief.

Especially with some creepy guy staring at you the whole time.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiBill
Is it just me or does flying backward in a plane just feel strange, especially on takeoff.
Is it any stranger than riding a train in a rear-facing seat, or riding a bus in a rear-facing seat, or riding in a station wagon in the rear-facing seat, or riding in a mini-van in a rear-facing seat, or riding on a roller coaster in a rear-facing seat?
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:41 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by MiamiBill
I flew MIA-DFW on a Boeing 777-200ER and I did NOT check seatguru before booking my flight as I was just happy to book Flagship business and get a window seat.

Much to my dismay, I was on the 777-200ER Version 1 where the Flagship Business are Safran (formerly Zodiac) Concept D seats configured 1-2-1 with alternating forward/backward facing seats and I was in the backward facing row 2. To be honest, I was a little disappointed in myself for making such a rookie mistake, but was still happy it was much better than the standard FC 2+2 seats.

Is it just me or does flying backward in a plane just feel strange, especially on takeoff. Also, it seemed a little creepy to glance across the aisle to the middle seats looking back at me.

On the return I was on the 777-200ER Version 2 Flagship Business with Collins Aerospace Super Diamond seats configured 1-2-1 and this was far superior for me (again booked in row 2 window).

Oh well, I will try to pay more attention in the future.

I’ve flown so many times on BA’s 747 upper deck in J In backwards facing seats that it is pretty normal for me.

J always better than Y/W!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Is it any stranger than riding a train in a rear-facing seat, or riding a bus in a rear-facing seat, or riding in a station wagon in the rear-facing seat, or riding in a mini-van in a rear-facing seat, or riding on a roller coaster in a rear-facing seat?
it is! i dont get motion sickness traveling backwards on a plane!
ijgordon and hbtr like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by dkc192
Partially correct. 2A is forward facing, but 2L is backward facing.
This sounds very strange, do you have any web link to this...
Old Feb 13, 2021, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
This sounds very strange, do you have any web link to this...
Check the seat map on this thread: Boeing 777 seating guide
You would be able to discover how the seat map looks like and the formatting of the cabin with the mixture of forward and reverse facing seats.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by dkc192
Partially correct. 2A is forward facing, but 2L is backward facing.
So the answer is this is also partially correct, lol... There are 19 772s which still have the zodiac seats and 2L is backward facing, and 28 772s where both 2A/L are forward facing. I thought all the zodiac seats were gone..
Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by pfreet
Southwest used to have a small number of backwards facing seats. Was strange to look at someone else the entire flight. I don't think they do that anymore. Does anyone else remember this or am I imagining it?
When I first flew Southwest back in 1977 from Love Field to El Paso - the bulkhead seats did face rearwards. I loved them. Naturally I was barely 4 years old - but I recall them and indeed the Flight Attendants in Hot Pants. Nowadays, I supposed that I am so used to jump seats that I never give it a thought, but some people find it most disconcerting.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:12 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
That must have really sucked for the ladies on longer flights. I couldn't imagine having to be lady like for that long with no relief.

Especially with some creepy guy staring at you the whole time.
Creepy Guys? No Dear - this is AA - Creepy Guys are over at Delta - so I am told. Why do you think that one cannot use the lavatory if one's seat is reversed? What an extraordinary notion,

MiamiBill ok, I guess I was just a backward flying virgin and I will have to try it again

I'm Pucci. Fly Me -

It's taken 20 years here on FT to say that!
jcatman, catmndu, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
old time tables in rear

Originally Posted by pfreet
Southwest used to have a small number of backwards facing seats. Was strange to look at someone else the entire flight. I don't think they do that anymore. Does anyone else remember this or am I imagining it?
I remember flying United PHL/SFO in the '70's where in the back of coach (707's I think) there were tables. This meant that there were 3 people looking forward and 3 looking backward, sort of like on a train.

One point which I haven't seen mentioned yet. Planes fly slightly nose up. I think it's to reduce drag, but not sure. I'm 6'6" and on a TATL flight, I definitely notice my feet being higher than my head if forward facing. I always sleep better in rear-facing seats.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:30 pm

Has anybody flown DFW to HNL/OGG on 772 in First recently? I'm set for a roundtrip leaving DFW at 1pm and leaving HNL at 8:30pm and wondering if my wife and I should plan to bring real food with us.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by shmuey
Has anybody flown DFW to HNL/OGG on 772 in First recently? I'm set for a roundtrip leaving DFW at 1pm and leaving HNL at 8:30pm and wondering if my wife and I should plan to bring real food with us.
Check in the covid era meal thread for examples. DFW to Hawaii routes get real multi-course meals with a printed menu, basically on par with pre-covid domestic first class hot meals, packaged nuts, as well as the full bar including the Mai Tai. You will also get proper bedding, I have even heard isolated cases of long haul amenities kits, but that may be more of a freak occurrence. I have taken the 8:30PM return personally on that route and it gets full service (good too since nothing is open in the terminal except a Starbucks and a Burger King, when I went anyway, so I would say eat a later lunch so you aren't hungry again at the airport waiting to get in the air). You should not need to bring food on the plane from the terminal if flying in First (different story even in Premium economy).
Old Mar 1, 2021, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by HiAperture
Check in the covid era meal thread for examples. DFW to Hawaii routes get real multi-course meals with a printed menu, basically on par with pre-covid domestic first class hot meals, packaged nuts, as well as the full bar including the Mai Tai. You will also get proper bedding, I have even heard isolated cases of long haul amenities kits, but that may be more of a freak occurrence. I have taken the 8:30PM return personally on that route and it gets full service (good too since nothing is open in the terminal except a Starbucks and a Burger King, when I went anyway, so I would say eat a later lunch so you aren't hungry again at the airport waiting to get in the air). You should not need to bring food on the plane from the terminal if flying in First (different story even in Premium economy).
Didn't realize I posted this in the wrong thread but thanks for the through response!
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
So I just booked an AA award flight on a 777-200 (ORD-LHR) for late August 2021. I had forgotten all about the "rocky/shaky" seat issue on some 777s. Is that still a thing, or has AA made good use of the slow COVID times to fix the issue? (well, I can dream, can't I?)

If this is still an issue on some planes, is there any way to divine which one you get, or is it a complete crapshoot?

Spouse has serious motion sickness issues (she really can not stand sitting facing backwards in anything that moves, she gets sick), and me, I'm a light sleeper so looking to avoid the nighttime shakes. We are in business class and most seats show unassigned at this point. I grabbed 1L and 2L when I booked, figuring I cold swap for a better seat if needed (we prefer window seats rather than the center "honeymoon" pair), but seats that don't make her hurl or wake me up are top priority.

Thanks for insights.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
So I just booked an AA award flight on a 777-200 (ORD-LHR) for late August 2021. I had forgotten all about the "rocky/shaky" seat issue on some 777s. Is that still a thing, or has AA made good use of the slow COVID times to fix the issue? (well, I can dream, can't I?)

If this is still an issue on some planes, is there any way to divine which one you get, or is it a complete crapshoot?

Spouse has serious motion sickness issues (she really can not stand sitting facing backwards in anything that moves, she gets sick), and me, I'm a light sleeper so looking to avoid the nighttime shakes. We are in business class and most seats show unassigned at this point. I grabbed 1L and 2L when I booked, figuring I cold swap for a better seat if needed (we prefer window seats rather than the center "honeymoon" pair), but seats that don't make her hurl or wake me up are top priority.

Thanks for insights.
nwflyboy,

I have marked up those seats not mechanically coupled to a neighbouring seat onto the seat map below. These are shown as circled seat numbers, so as you can see seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not conjoined and reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"

Seats 1L/2L may well be a good selection providing your spouse isn't too fidgety
nwflyboy, nk15 and HiAperture like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.