Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Taxes and fees refunded for passenger initiated canceled award flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes and fees refunded for passenger initiated canceled award flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alien
Anyone know if one can one still -not- have the miles reinstated and hang on to the ticket number for future use(within the year-from date)? If possible, I understand the cancellation would have to be done by phone.
I don't believe so, but I also don't believe it would matter. When "cash" tickets are reissued for a new itinerary, the new itinerary is priced and the value of the unused ticket is applied to that new itinerary, with an add/collect collected (if needed). Even if you could keep award tickets like this, the same thing would likely occur in that the new award would be priced and additional miles would be collected if the new itinerary requires more miles.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by alien
Anyone know if one can one still -not- have the miles reinstated and hang on to the ticket number for future use(within the year-from date)? If possible, I understand the cancellation would have to be done by phone.
why would you want to do this?
aamilesslave likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I'm assuming the poster wants to do it to hedge against further miles devaluation and needing to use more miles for the same destination in the future.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
why would you want to do this?
---if a couple was dividing their assets, which included one having 7 figures in multiple airlines and hotels...at this point it's early in the game and I could rightly do a lot of flying, but the interest just isn't there at this point.
Old May 3, 2024, 12:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Just noticed an award I cancelled back in March still does not have the taxes refunded to my card, even though I got the miles back straight away. Weirdly they have issued a travel credit for the taxes and fees. I don't think this is correct, right? Taxes and fees are always refunded to payment method for aadvantage awards cancelled prior to departure? I've contacted them..
Old May 3, 2024, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Just noticed an award I cancelled back in March still does not have the taxes refunded to my card, even though I got the miles back straight away. Weirdly they have issued a travel credit for the taxes and fees. I don't think this is correct, right? Taxes and fees are always refunded to payment method for aadvantage awards cancelled prior to departure? I've contacted them..
When you cancel an award the taxes/fees are always initially refunded as a flight credit but then that is converted to a refund back to your card. So it appears something hung up on that one.
Enigma368 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.