Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Taxes and fees refunded for passenger initiated canceled award flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

My sister said she canceled an award ticket on an upcoming international flight and her miles were immediately re-deposited as expected. She was not provided a refund of the taxes/fees she paid. She initiated the cancellation online but thought the fees would be automatically credited to her credit card. That hasn't happened yet. Is this correct?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork
My sister said she canceled an award ticket on an upcoming international flight and her miles were immediately re-deposited as expected. She was not provided a refund of the taxes/fees she paid. She initiated the cancellation online but thought the fees would be automatically credited to her credit card. That hasn't happened yet. Is this correct?
How long ago was it cancelled? Between processing the refund and the time for it to appear on the card, I've had it take a couple weeks.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork
I believe she needs to go to prefunds.aa.com and initiate a refund for the $ portion of the ticket, and depending on the circumstances it may be in the form of a voucher, as apposed to a CC Credit?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:19 pm

Taxes and fees have always been refunded back to the original form of payment.

I recently had a similar issue on award tickets I cancelled online. The miles were redeposited, but the refund of the taxes and fees (in this case about $150 each) had not been refunded after 10 days. So I called today and was informed the refund was not initiated. They took care of it on the call and I should be seeing it back on my card in five days or so.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Still happening.

I cancelled a few awards a few weeks ago and miles went back without a hitch but randomly I thought to myself... Hmm did the taxes come back?

So then I looked at my credit card and 3 weeks have passed and no refund of taxes. The system is not automatically refunding taxes folks. Don't forget about it!

I called Advantage and they initiated the refund and was back on the card in a week of the request but the process is def not automated yet.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mrkymark
I cancelled a few awards a few weeks ago and miles went back without a hitch but randomly I thought to myself... Hmm did the taxes come back?

So then I looked at my credit card and 3 weeks have passed and no refund of taxes. The system is not automatically refunding taxes folks. Don't forget about it!

I called Advantage and they initiated the refund and was back on the card in a week of the request but the process is def not automated yet.
Not automated, but easily done online without a call.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat
Are miles for partner only award tickets automatically re-deposited now if you cancel online?

Originally Posted by Often1
The system is not automatically refunding taxes folks. Not automated, but easily done online without a call.
using this - prefunds.aa.com ?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by AArdvark0
Are miles for partner only award tickets automatically re-deposited now if you cancel online?

using this - prefunds.aa.com ?
Yes .
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Not automated, but easily done online without a call.
That's why I have been calling to cancel, since that gets me the cancelation and the refund from that action.
seawolf likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

OP here. So... my sister said that she and her friend had award reservations on the same flight. Both canceled their award tickets online. Both had the miles automatically redeposited to their respective accounts. My sister's taxes were not refunded, but her friend's taxes were automatically refunded to her credit card. How strange is that?

My sister then requested a refund online. A couple of weeks have passed, and the taxes were still not refunded. I told her to give them a call.

I just thought it was odd that two people in the same situation, on the same flight, where one had taxes automatically refunded to card and the other didn't.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:01 am

Interesting situation here. I canceled 3 reservations, each reservation with multiple people. I received partial tax refund on each reservation, so I called in to request missing refund (still waiting for refund to hit credit card). And, more miles was refunded for two of the 3 reservations.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
It looks like this may be automated now, at least in some situations. I canceled an AA award on QR metal earlier this week, received the miles back instantly, and got a refund of the taxes & fees about 4 business days later.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I cancelled an award reservation - admittedly a vanilla domestic reservation on AA metal - miles took less than a day to redeposit, T/F (only $11.20) a few days longer.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Yes, my online award cancellations have been immediately redepositing miles, with taxes refunded within a few days.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:08 am

Redeposit not wanted

Anyone know if one can one still -not- have the miles reinstated and hang on to the ticket number for future use(within the year-from date)? If possible, I understand the cancellation would have to be done by phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.