Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Input requested: disruptive group at gate, on board. What should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Input requested: disruptive group at gate, on board. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:21 pm
Suspended

I too am curious of the city pair and destination. LAS? MSY? MIA? LAX?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
I too am curious of the city pair and destination. LAS? MSY? MIA? LAX?
I believe MIA-LAX is almost all 777 right now and I’d wager this happened on a narrowbody. Otherwise MIA-LAX does seem to attract a fair share of riff-raff... throwback to the creature that tried to board without shoes then attempted to assault a GA when denied boarding.
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TEBraniff
Behavior that outrageous would have attracted a lot of video by passengers and action by the crew upon landing such as reporting to authorities. Also wonder why OP didn't identify the flight.
I was a little hesitant at the time, but I can't, on review, think of a reason to be - was 289, PHX>LAX, on a 321.

I do believe I saw one person trying to discreetly record. I didn't because I didn't want to attract their attention and get drawn in somehow.

Edit, FlyEndeavorAir
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.

Last edited by Presguy; Dec 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I've noticed that one of the side effects of covid on travel has been that the Greyhound crowd can now afford to fly.

All of my flights since summer have had a rougher crowd than 2019.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Next-generation IFE system successfully installed!
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by meechyathere
Next-generation IFE system successfully installed!
Can't wait to fly on that Airbus A321-neo and experience the live "strip show inside a single wide".
Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Presguy
and then immediately chase it with blue Gatorade.
Gatorade! That's my drink of choice!
Presguy likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Does AA even maintain a file of pax with that kind of information? (someone being obnoxious/loud?)
And if you were to be banned or about to be banned, I think that AA would notify you or warn you in written so you would know about it and have the chance to clarify the issue immediately.
I was thinking about this the other day: wondering if AA could just develop a list of behaviors that crossed over the line and just warn a pax that another visit to their seat will result in a ban of x time period.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GaryZ
I was thinking about this the other day: wondering if AA could just develop a list of behaviors that crossed over the line and just warn a pax that another visit to their seat will result in a ban of x time period.
Since AA doesn't have a Cabin Manager or Purser with authority, the cabin is fairly rudderless. FA's that want to take initiative do, others "are here for safety" and do nothing else. As is, picking an argument with an FA is a dangerous game, even if in the right.

Giving long term control to a rudderless operation is a risky proposition. Unless the threshold is set high that ensures that only those with a pattern of repeat behavior are penalized.
​​​
Dallas49er and cmd320 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by GaryZ
Not that it is not a good idea.
But you guys have to remember that, like it or not, there is a high involvement of the unions on what an FA should do.
I don't like it but it is a reality.

Some FTers might remember that back when the turndown service in 3 class F was implemented (the FA making your bed on international F) the union made a big stink about it and tried to block that additional "burdensome" task.
Not that the FAs would do it anyway. In one flight I was at the FAs did not do it for anybody unless you requested it. Not that I care as I did not wait for them to do it, but was in contrast with other airlines (QR comes to mind) where they proactively asked when you want the bed done.

Anyway, having FAs have a list of behaviors allowed or not will not happen. Not only because of potential union issues, but because it will be highly subjective to make the list and then even try to determine who is crossing the line or not.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Drugz
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
The only time I've involved myself in misbehaving pax was as follows:
Waiting for the PHX-BOS redeye, there was a little boy who was very upset over something and screaming/crying. The dad, who was clearly three sheets to the wind, was bellowing at the child, picking him up, slapping him, and performing many even more inappropriate means of improvised corporal punishment, in the middle of the gate area. Meanwhile, the mother was screaming at the dad to stop, and slapped him in the face at some point.
I approached the GA, who said she was mortified, but too busy getting the flight boarded to do anything. She suggested I call airport police, which I did.
This continued for quite some time until their group was called, and unfortunately the police arrived only after they had boarded. I opted to board last (I was in the first row). After a quick chat with myself, and the GAs (who backed up my story and added details,) the police boarded the AC, and according to the FA later, gave both parents a very stern "talking to," and we were on our way.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Antarius
Since AA doesn't have a Cabin Manager or Purser with authority, the cabin is fairly rudderless. FA's that want to take initiative do, others "are here for safety" and do nothing else. As is, picking an argument with an FA is a dangerous game, even if in the right.
​​​
My many 2020 pandemic flights have had a lot of aggressive FA's policing mask usage.

I have a high tolerance for most things as I used to live in airplanes. But adults being disruptive for no reason? I would address them directly, complain to the FA's and the airline afterward.

Ugh and all on a tiny plane and in F. At least it was a short flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.