Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Input requested: disruptive group at gate, on board. What should I do?

Input requested: disruptive group at gate, on board. What should I do?

Old Dec 29, 20, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Input request: disruptive group at gate, on board.

Earlier today I was waiting to board a short haul AA flight, I noticed a very disruptive group in the gate area. They were all 25 or younger, I'd guesstimate, and were cursing, playing grab-butt, talking about *very* off-color stuff, etc. Also dressed in a manner that suggests they were not perhaps society's best regarded members.

I'm pretty hard to offend, and just made some distance and waited to board.

I was seated in first, but was finishing a phone call and boarded with Group 4. When I boarded, my empty (aisle) seat was next to a female member of that group. She asked if I could switch with her friend, just across the aisle. Her words were "can ya change seats with my m*f* boy over there?", so the first impression was reinforced.

I very happily swapped seats so I wouldn't be in the middle of their conversation for the whole flight.

They were *shockingly* disruptive during the flight. Loudly cursing, slamming window shades up and down, and one point the grab-butt became so.. intense.. that the male half dumped a whole bottle of Sprite on to the seats. Sticking bare feet in the air. Loud conversations about all manner of drugs and adult.. activities. Lots of loud visits from their friends in econ.

Multiple FAs came to address each of the behaviors, sometimes two at once, but they restarted almost instantly. At one point the female half noticed all the stares and glances and stood up, in flight, to loudly say "Yeah, that's me talkin the s*t y'all hearin". This was repeated a few more times upon deplaning.

Surprisingly, I didn't see any intervention, or attention upon deplaning, aside from the flight attendants admonishing them.

Anyway.. to my question.. part way through the flight, I got up to head towards the bathroom, and discreetly told the FA that I had switched with the male half upon boarding - I didn't want someone to look at the manifest and think it was me causing all the issues. He understood, and we didn't discuss it any further.

Given that they appeared to deboard and head on their way, I figure it to be a closed matter - I'm a bit worried, though, that he'll be identifed as being me, as he was in my assigned seat, and it could create a poor notation for me on some AA internal list.

Should I have done anything differently, or should I follow up with AA? I'm not looking for any compensation, I just don't want consequences for someone else's behavior.

As an aside, from listening to their conversation, I learned that she was a stripper, and he had treated her to the first class seat. She was also *far* too excited about being in first class, AND having a Hillshire Farms cheese pack he brought on board. She spent at least ten minutes on the ground loudly declaring how they needed wine to go with the "f*n fancy rich f*rs cheese".

Mods - I hope my use of * and "grab-butt" is acceptable. I did my best to paint the picture without direct quotes.

Edit: Thanks JDiver for the much clearer title. I posted late at night and was vaporlocking on something clearer.

Last edited by Presguy; Dec 29, 20 at 4:18 pm
Old Dec 29, 20, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - you should consider this matter closed.

If the FA would like to do anything, men in blue would have waited at the gate already (disruptive behavior is sufficient for their intervention).

In other words, the FAs would not likely to do anything.
Uzzar and Presguy like this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 9:16 am

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
This thread is useless without pictures video.

Originally Posted by Presguy View Post
As an aside, from listening to their conversation, I learned that she was a stripper
And apparently not one of the high-end ones who commute weekends BUR-LAS on WN.
SS255, scoonee, Gerbs and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not worry.

If anything was to be done, the passengers would have been met by law enforcement & AA security on arrival and dealt with or not,

On the extraordinarily unlikely chance that AA were to backtrack and use the manifest for identification and AA did reach out, your answer would be exactly what you told the FA, e.g., that you are not that person.
wrp96 and Presguy like this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'd say it's worth shooting a note to AA just to explain the situation and give your feedback. It can't really hurt, other than taking up a few minutes of your time.
Old Dec 29, 20, 10:00 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Yet another example of money not buying class.

I think you’re OK, since you told staff about the seat swap.
Old Dec 29, 20, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Gold,
Op didn't say... but I'm guessing the flight was to LAS? those are the flights where I've seen the most Annoying groups RT
Old Dec 29, 20, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY View Post
Yet another example of money not buying class.
Yep. Not much you can do about it except and move on. I've been around a few groups like this before and a couple of times have just downgraded myself to Y to get away (with FA permission, of course). And i'm only a little older than those 25 somethings.
Presguy likes this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Yep. Not much you can do about it except and move on. I've been around a few groups like this before and a couple of times have just downgraded myself to Y to get away (with FA permission, of course). And i'm only a little older than those 25 somethings.
Heh. The funny part is, I'm not drastically older than that myself. The self-downgrade could've certainly been an option, although I was already done with work for the day and was (to a small extent) enjoying the show out of the corner of my eye. The last time I've been on a plane that came even close to that level of... excitement.. it was a Globemaster full of Marines.
deeruck, wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro
From your description it sounds to me that despite being loud and disruptive, they didn't actually have any altercations or other escalating conflict with the FAs, so I doubt you have anything to worry about. While I'm sure everyone would have appreciated some discretion on their part, I think it's pretty nice that the stripper enjoyed the flight so much! I kind of wish I could be that excited about domestic F
scoonee likes this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Anyway.. to my question.. part way through the flight, I got up to head towards the bathroom, and discreetly told the FA that I had switched with the male half upon boarding - I didn't want someone to look at the manifest and think it was me causing all the issues. He understood, and we didn't discuss it any further.
Given that they appeared to deboard and head on their way, I figure it to be a closed matter - I'm a bit worried, though, that he'll be identifed as being me, as he was in my assigned seat, and it could create a poor notation for me on some AA internal list.
Does AA even maintain a file of pax with that kind of information? (someone being obnoxious/loud?)
And if you were to be banned or about to be banned, I think that AA would notify you or warn you in written so you would know about it and have the chance to clarify the issue immediately.

You are fine. Send in the note to AA to have a record of the issue if you want some extra piece of mind.
Old Dec 29, 20, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zymm View Post
From your description it sounds to me that despite being loud and disruptive, they didn't actually have any altercations or other escalating conflict with the FAs, so I doubt you have anything to worry about. While I'm sure everyone would have appreciated some discretion on their part, I think it's pretty nice that the stripper enjoyed the flight so much! I kind of wish I could be that excited about domestic F
I agree - that was my philosophy as well. While it was annoying, I didn't see it as rising to the level of endangering anything (aside from a few pax sanity). Plus, it was a short, evening flight - I suspect the crew verdict was that any real "action", would likely cause even more frustration and delay that just putting up with them for an hour.

I'm no oenologist, but my impression has always been that most domestic wines are pretty bottom tier. It was a bit funny to see her served a plastic cup of red, take an excited sip, make a sour face, and then immediately chase it with blue Gatorade.
Old Dec 29, 20, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by zymm View Post
I kind of wish I could be that excited about domestic F
And I wish I could be that excited about Hillshire Farms cheese!
Old Dec 29, 20, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
I'm no oenologist, but my impression has always been that most domestic wines are pretty bottom tier. It was a bit funny to see her served a plastic cup of red, take an excited sip, make a sour face, and then immediately chase it with blue Gatorade.
They're bloody awful. Back when Ken Chase was the "sommelier", we thought he was awful. to prove this I took a bottle of Trader Joe's two buck chuck on board (TSA is so good at their job).

Asked the FA to pour it and the wine onboard for anyone willing to do a taste test. Two buck chuck won in a landslide.
​​​​​
Gerbs, donotblink, Presguy and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Dec 29, 20 at 7:36 pm
Old Dec 29, 20, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
This thread is useless without pictures video.

And apparently not one of the high-end ones who commute weekends BUR-LAS on WN.
Behavior that outrageous would have attracted a lot of video by passengers and action by the crew upon landing such as reporting to authorities. Also wonder why OP didn't identify the flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: