Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA reduces LHR schedule in December 2020 (no CLT, JFK, ORD - LHR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA has announced a December 2020 passenger flight reduction to / from London Heathrow / LHR.

Key points per the CNBC article (link)
  • Weak demand as coronavirus cases rise is prompting American to cut much of its London service next month.
  • Travelers in New York and Chicago can fly nonstop on American’s joint-venture partner British Airways.
  • American plans to continue to operate cargo-only flights to London from those airports.

“American Airlines plans to cut much of its service to London next month from major U.S. airports due to weak demand in the pandemic, the carrier said Sunday.

The move comes as coronavirus cases have climbed in both countries and officials instated new restrictions in response to help curb the spread of the virus, driving down demand on what was one of the most profitable and popular international routes pre-pandemic.
The carrier won’t operate flights from Charlotte, New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport and Chicago O’Hare to London Heathrow next month, a total of 16 weekly flights to London. Customers in Chicago and New York can alternatively book on British Airways, American’s trans-Atlantic partner. American will continue to operate cargo-only flights from Chicago and New York and London, ‘until daily passenger service resumes in January,’ a spokeswoman said in a statement. No other American Airlines December Europe service was cancelled over the weekend.”

Link to CNBC article
Print Wikipost

AA reduces LHR schedule in December 2020 (no CLT, JFK, ORD - LHR)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm BA award flight PHX-LHR in mid Dec

Curious how that one will go. LOL
Old Nov 16, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GaryZ
Curious how that one will go. LOL
I’d suggest looking for alternative arrangements. That flight isn’t on the schedule until mid January and I’m assuming that’s only because the schedule hasn’t been updated beyond then yet.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum / Hilton Diamond / MGM Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
And the OP should note that TK is serving boxed meals in J now so the soft product certainly isn't what it used to be
The box meal was not impressive and not serving hot drinks either. However, the Airbus 350 seemed to be brand new and only 7 of us in J.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ranran
My scheduled flight 11/11 out of EWR to LHR to IST was cancelled. BA supposedly cancelled ALL flights out of there. I was rescheduled to CLT to LHR on AA. Ugh!
My return flight is 11/19 and BA already cancelled ALL flights from IST to LHR. AA rescheduled me on TK to make my connecting flight back to JFK on AA as scheduled.
I actually prefer the business class on TK than on BA so I’m happy about the later change.
Out of curiosity, when did BA cancelled your IST-LHR flight on 19 Nov.
It's interesting that AA rebooked you on IST-LHR on TK as BA is rebooking passengers on IST-DOH-LHR on QR or IST-FRA-LHR on LH/BA instead.

By the way, hot food is back on TK flights over 8 hours. Similar to AA's situation.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
By the way, hot food is back on TK flights over 8 hours. Similar to AA's situation.
About time!
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:37 am

Out of curiosity, when did BA cancelled your IST-LHR flight on 19 Nov.
It's interesting that AA rebooked you on IST-LHR on TK as BA is rebooking passengers on IST-DOH-LHR on QR or IST-FRA-LHR on LH/BA instead.

I was in the air on 11/12, heading to IST when AA called and left me a voicemail stating that BA had cancelled my return flight. I returned the call on Friday, 11/13 and the rep placed me on a TK flight from IST to LHR. The flights out of IST were light. My flight from LHR to JFK on a 777-300ER had less than 40 people aboard and only 7 in business class.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I was in the air on 11/12, heading to IST when AA called and left me a voicemail stating that BA had cancelled my return flight. I returned the call on Friday, 11/13 and the rep placed me on a TK flight from IST to LHR. The flights out of IST were light. My flight from LHR to JFK on a 777-300ER had less than 40 people aboard and only 7 in business class.
Thanks for your response,

So this might be a gesture from the Platinum line as there are no other feasible AA, joint venture, or oneworld flights and this does not look like a last-minute IRROPS situation. This is my assumption because AA stopped partnering with TK when TK joined Star Alliance.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:20 am

Thanks for your response,

So this might be a gesture from the Platinum line as there are no other feasible AA, joint venture, or oneworld flights and this does not look like a last-minute IRROPS situation. This is my assumption because AA stopped partnering with TK when TK joined Star Alliance.
It was curious to me as well. I was actually PlatPro before this trip and with this flight, it pushed me over the top to ExecPlat for the first time. It just posted to my account today. Cheers!
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was curious to me as well. I was actually PlatPro before this trip and with this flight, it pushed me over the top to ExecPlat for the first time. It just posted to my account today. Cheers!
Congratulations on your new status.
ranran likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:52 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I believe AA and TK still have an interline agreement for situations like this (AA also has interline agreements with other airlines like UA, DL, LH, LO, EK, etc.). It's nice that they did not make you take a connection through DOH or somewhere else.

You may want to check what you got credit for (since the TK segment IST-LHR won't credit to AA). If your originally booked routing would have earned a different amount of miles and you would prefer that amount, you can contact AA and request original routing credit. There are several FlyerTalk threads on the subject.
ranran likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
I believe AA and TK still have an interline agreement for situations like this (AA also has interline agreements with other airlines like UA, DL, LH, LO, EK, etc.). It's nice that they did not make you take a connection through DOH or somewhere else.
Yes, they had the interline agreement but AA didn't rebook passengers to TK unless there is a last-minute IRROPS. That's why I was surprised that the OP was re-booked to a TK service and that's why I interpreted this as a gesture.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
You may want to check what you got credit for (since the TK segment IST-LHR won't credit to AA). If your originally booked routing would have earned a different amount of miles and you would prefer that amount, you can contact AA and request original routing credit. There are several FlyerTalk threads on the subject.
I think ranran is talking about the status posting.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I had a DUB-LHR-DFW-AUS award flight booked for later in December and was patting myself on the back for cleverly having a seat on the lone surviving AA flight out of LHR. Then last week BA cancelled the early flight out of DUB and the later flight arrives 5 minutes after the AA flight leaves. No proactive notice to me of course. There is still a later LHR-DFW on BA. When I called to switch to that, she said there was no miles availability but after I pushed she said she would submit a request to AA's liaison to BA to see if they would free up the space. It took about two days and they did free up the space, but AA said they would need to collect the additional $200+ in "taxes". The agent had no answer to "why isn't AA subject to those taxes" and I kicked and screamed but there was no budging so I forked it over. Otherwise there was no way to make that trip using AA miles without an overnight layover in LHR.

For the extra $ one gets BA's outstanding old style J seat and excellent Covid catering.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Stripe
For the extra $ one gets BA's outstanding old style J seat and excellent Covid catering.
Since I didn't immediately notice the snark I'm assuming this comment was a joke.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wonder if AA will add another LHR flight to the schedule this month. Right now there is only *1* daily flight (DFW-LHR at a crappy time). Despite 14 day quarantine lots of folks here have family in the UK and I would think each daily flight that leaves DFW is packed to the gills.

For comparison I wonder what DL and UA have reduced their LHR flights to.
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.