Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA reduces LHR schedule in December 2020 (no CLT, JFK, ORD - LHR)

Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA has announced a December 2020 passenger flight reduction to / from London Heathrow / LHR.

Key points per the CNBC article (link)
  • Weak demand as coronavirus cases rise is prompting American to cut much of its London service next month.
  • Travelers in New York and Chicago can fly nonstop on American’s joint-venture partner British Airways.
  • American plans to continue to operate cargo-only flights to London from those airports.

“American Airlines plans to cut much of its service to London next month from major U.S. airports due to weak demand in the pandemic, the carrier said Sunday.

The move comes as coronavirus cases have climbed in both countries and officials instated new restrictions in response to help curb the spread of the virus, driving down demand on what was one of the most profitable and popular international routes pre-pandemic.
The carrier won’t operate flights from Charlotte, New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport and Chicago O’Hare to London Heathrow next month, a total of 16 weekly flights to London. Customers in Chicago and New York can alternatively book on British Airways, American’s trans-Atlantic partner. American will continue to operate cargo-only flights from Chicago and New York and London, ‘until daily passenger service resumes in January,’ a spokeswoman said in a statement. No other American Airlines December Europe service was cancelled over the weekend.”

Link to CNBC article
Print Wikipost

AA reduces LHR schedule in December 2020 (no CLT, JFK, ORD - LHR)

Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
LHR schedule zeroed out in December?

I'm looking at JFK-LHR flights (AA 106) for next month and seeing inventory zeroed out from Dec 2 through Jan 4th. Does this mean cancellations might be imminent? I can still pull up the seat maps on EF and confirmed on AA.com that no tickets are being sold on this route in December (so it's not just an EF bug I think...)

FWIW, not shocking to me if they do axe these flights given the poor loads. I've flown on AA105/106 around 6 times in the past 2 months and have not seen more than 6 pax in J, 30 pax total.

I think the same is true for MIA-LHR. I see no availability on AA38 beyond Dec 1.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 16, 2020 at 3:51 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Thought JFK was mixed? I believe only CLT, ORD and DFW fly to London and at that only certain days.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on what the UK does with its lockdown, e.g. allows it to expire or extends it, there may be some movement. But, the outlook is grim for anything other than the most essential travel and that means less demand than there has been to date. The US and UK have also been unable to reach a "bubble" agreement with testing and that only contributes to the problems.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Thought JFK was mixed? I believe only CLT, ORD and DFW fly to London and at that only certain days.
JFK-LHR has been operating daily for at least the past 3 months or so as AA 105/106. I've been taking it regularly and monitoring loads. Somewhat weird that they chose to continue it through the UK Nov lockdown, but stop right after the lockdown ends... I guess one can make an argument that Dec is more leisure travel heavy, so the limited business demand that has persisted over past few months will vanish.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Has anyone called, Tweeted, or otherwise contacted someone at AA to see if this is real?

Flukes in the AA schedule seem to happen somewhat regularly, and people take them for that. I wouldn't necessarily assume anything based on a search right now.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
Has anyone called, Tweeted, or otherwise contacted someone at AA to see if this is real?

Flukes in the AA schedule seem to happen somewhat regularly, and people take them for that. I wouldn't necessarily assume anything based on a search right now.
Twitter response from AA:

At present we don't have the go-ahead to active the sales of seats on these services. Once we do, you'd see the flights fully loaded once not sold out. No glitches online we checked those dates.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asdf098
JFK-LHR has been operating daily for at least the past 3 months or so as AA 105/106. I've been taking it regularly and monitoring loads. Somewhat weird that they chose to continue it through the UK Nov lockdown, but stop right after the lockdown ends... I guess one can make an argument that Dec is more leisure travel heavy, so the limited business demand that has persisted over past few months will vanish.
BA is showing as going to 2X daily in December (from 1X). It's possible AA/BA decided they don't need a third daily flight and agreed to drop AA flight.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
The FA on my recent LHR-MIA flight told me that AA is leaving most LHR flights to BA for the next couple of months and that they had been informed of that by management. He said it would likely go all the way to summer - I do see AA 38 (MIA) reappear on EF some time in January at this point.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA is running a single flight between LHR and DFW during December. No other LHR flights from any other cities in the US. That and a daily flight between DFW and FRA are the extent of AA's European service.

In January AA vastly expands its London service by adding 3 flights a week from CLT and daily flights from JFK and ORD. At least they are on the schedule. Probably too early to know for sure whether they will fly.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
AA will need to operate some flights to/from LHR because to be able to retain their slots as part of the waiver they can’t simply drop all flights.

it’s why BA have kept some long haul flights operating from Gatwick to be able to protect all their slots.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
AA will need to operate some flights to/from LHR because to be able to retain their slots as part of the waiver they can’t simply drop all flights.

it’s why BA have kept some long haul flights operating from Gatwick to be able to protect all their slots.
Those "use it or lose it" rules at LHR have been waived until late March 2021, so technically AA could simply drop all flights until then. However, I'm sure they want to maintain some skeleton operation as restarting things from scratch would probably be very difficult.
GaryZ likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum / Hilton Diamond / MGM Gold
My scheduled flight 11/11 out of EWR to LHR to IST was cancelled. BA supposedly cancelled ALL flights out of there. I was rescheduled to CLT to LHR on AA. Ugh!
My return flight is 11/19 and BA already cancelled ALL flights from IST to LHR. AA rescheduled me on TK to make my connecting flight back to JFK on AA as scheduled.
I actually prefer the business class on TK than on BA so I’m happy about the later change.

Last edited by ranran; Nov 14, 2020 at 11:43 pm
Old Nov 14, 2020, 8:36 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranran
My scheduled flight 11/11 out of EWR to LHR to IST was cancelled. BA supposedly cancelled ALL flights out of there. I was rescheduled to CLT to LHR on AA. Ugh!
My return flight is 11/19 and BA already cancelled ALL flights from IST to LHR. AA rescheduled me on TA TK to make my connecting flight back to JFK on AA as scheduled.
I actually prefer the business class on TA TK than on BA so I’m happy about the later change.
Fixed that for ya.
Blumie and ranran like this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by HNL
Fixed that for ya.
HNL is back!!!!
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
AA probably is modifying the schedule right now. According to EF, JFK MIA CLT ORD all seem to be pulled off the schedule from Dec 2nd/3rd. Only DFW daily are selling tickets as normal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.