Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AAdvantage miles for award on Alaska Airlines / AS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using AAdvantage miles for award on Alaska Airlines / AS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dpakman91
it is both AA metal and partner availability. For example, on alaska, BOS-ORD-NRT flights are showing up that don't on AA.com, and also hainan flights are showing up that don't on AA.com
Hainan is certainly not a mileage redemption partner with AA so this is no surprise.

But for the AA flights, have you called AA to check on the BOS-ORD-NRT?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Hainan is certainly not bookable at aa.com so this is no surprise.

But for the AA flights, have you called AA to check on the BOS-ORD-NRT?
I have not called in about that one.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:33 pm

Different Availability Showing on Laptop and Phone

I booked an AAdvantage Award on Alaska Airlines last week. I will tell you, there is an issue with aa.com. When I search for flights on my smart phone there is MUCH LESS AAdvantage Award availability showing than when I check from my Laptop (I have cleared cookies, used different browsers, incognito mode, etc., to troubleshoot). It seems to be for flights with a connection (e.g., if I search from where the 2nd flight begins, it seems correct for the 2nd portion, but that first portion's award availability doesn't always appear on my phone). I noticed this sometime last week and it persists to the present. It's odd! {So if using a mobile phone on aa.com, be sure to go to the bottom of the page and click for the Full Site option to see greater availability.}
Beachmom333 likes this.

Last edited by miles4sheli; Jun 17, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:38 pm

AA Award Seat Releases -particularly on Alaska?

Hi all,

I have had great luck with low-cost award seats booked the day before with AA miles for an Alaska flight.
Booking 1 week before and the selection looks really bad. No major event going on that I know of.

Are seats released en masse the night before?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Au contraire. A number of members is saying that the once common release of award seats at last moment has dried up.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:33 pm

Award availability on AS flights is AS's decision, not AA's.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Award Travel with Alaska Airlines Flight

I booked a award flight with AA from LAS-SFO on alaska and SFO-DFW on american however when I booked the trip it said the 1st and 2nd bag is free with Alaska is that a glitch since they don't have a partnership or is my EXP bag allowance still valid?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
I booked a award flight with AA from LAS-SFO on alaska and SFO-DFW on american however when I booked the trip it said the 1st and 2nd bag is free with Alaska is that a glitch since they don't have a partnership or is my EXP bag allowance still valid?
Coach or First class award?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:45 am

Coach
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Take your AA ticket receipt that shows the 2-bag allowance when you go to check bags with AS. If they refuse and make you pay (which is my expectation) you will have a great case for a refund from AA, and a nice DOT complaint. It's AA's job under Federal regs from 2012 to get this right. See 14CFR 399.85c
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:47 am

perfect thanks for the info.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Booking Alaska Airlines Award with AA Miles

AA offered me Alaska Airlines non-stop LAX EWR September 2019 using miles. When I got to the final booking it said I had to call Alaska for a seat assignment. Since I wasn't sure how that worked I thought i would check with all of you before booking. My questions, how do I do that and are there any tips Flyertalk members can offer? Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:35 pm

I can't recall how I booked the seats last year, but believe it was directly on the Alaska Airlines website. I can tell you, if you have free bag privileges for Economy through a credit card, that does not carry over to Alaska Airlines, even with the AAdvantage Award. The cost was $25. We really enjoyed flying this airline; they had excellent customer service.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
After booking you can call AA and ask an agent for the AS Conformation Code. This will intern allow you to manage your booking through Alaska's website, therefore enabling you to choose your seat.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by johnasmith
AA offered me Alaska Airlines non-stop LAX EWR September 2019 using miles. When I got to the final booking it said I had to call Alaska for a seat assignment. Since I wasn't sure how that worked I thought i would check with all of you before booking. My questions, how do I do that and are there any tips Flyertalk members can offer? Thanks.
The easiest thing is to call AA or DM @AmericanAir on Twitter to get your AS PNR so you can access your booking online. You can always put your award booking on hold for five days the next time - no fees for cancelling or walking away from a hold, but if your favorite award is taken by someone else you’re out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.