Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reduction/Schedule Changes in Premium Transcontinental Flights Starting Nov 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reduction/Schedule Changes in Premium Transcontinental Flights Starting Nov 2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
The AA transcon F on the 321T does offer direct aisle access, but if they decide to use planes from the wide body fleet long term on these Flagship First routes, then what becomes of J. They would be the small In't/Hawaii PE cabin, which would be a downgrade, and a disproportionate ratio of F to J. Decisions, decisions..
F will be gone. J will be J. AA could offer passengers booked in full fare J, specifcially fares booked the "J" RBD (reservation booking designator), access to Flagship First Dining, enhanced catering/attention on board, etc. Over time, they might even figure out a way to install lightweight/soft partitions to separate the first 2-3 rows of the cabin off if there is a demand for it.

If the soft-prodcut once again becomes differentiated enough, they could market it again as First Class (same seat/dedicated service).

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Dec 3, 2020 at 10:50 am Reason: grammar/clarification
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
F will be gone. J will be J. AA could offer passengers booked in full fare J, specifcially fares booked the "J" RBD (reservation booking designator), access to Flagship First Dining, enhanced catering/attention on board, etc. Over time, they might even figure out a way to install lightweight/soft partitions to separate the first 2-3 rows of the cabin off if there is a demand for it.

If the soft-prodcut once again becomes differentiated enough, they could market it again as First Class (same seat/dedicated service).
You could be right, but back to the Hollywood contracts. I seriously doubt anyone is paying a full F, or J fare for any of these tickets given the volume the studios buy. I think it is too early to make any calls on the survival of Flagship F as it turns out the rich are still getting richer..
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:49 pm

If they’re gonna use the 772s for transcon then it makes no sense to keep the 321T....would suck if you pay for F on the 321T and later that day on another flight the J seat (777) is basically the same as your F on the smaller plane

likewise would suck to pay for J on the 321T and know that for the same price you could’ve had one of the 772 or 77W J seats...

I say keep the 772s and use the 77W on a few routes for those who really want the F class
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NickRivas
If they’re gonna use the 772s for transcon then it makes no sense to keep the 321T....would suck if you pay for F on the 321T and later that day on another flight the J seat (777) is basically the same as your F on the smaller plane

likewise would suck to pay for J on the 321T and know that for the same price you could’ve had one of the 772 or 77W J seats...

I say keep the 772s and use the 77W on a few routes for those who really want the F class
The other problem here becomes frequency and number of aircraft available. My understanding of the whole point of the 321T in the first place (rather than 767, A330, 787, etc.) was that it enabled AA to offer higher frequency flights on JFK-LAX and to a lesser extent SFO. If they start using 777s there’s no way they’ll be able to retain that same frequency when things return to normal.

Additionally, with the 757, 767, and A330 all out of the fleet at this point, as international travel returns there is going to be considerably fewer aircraft to work with. Can they afford the aircraft to throw a bunch of 777s on JFK-LAX?
cesco.g and TWA884 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by NickRivas
If they’re gonna use the 772s for transcon then it makes no sense to keep the 321T
All but three are parked, and there is apparently a rumor at AA that the sub-fleet will be eliminated, with ships converted to 2-class domestic.

Originally Posted by cmd320
If they start using 777s there’s no way they’ll be able to retain that same frequency when things return to normal...Can they afford the aircraft to throw a bunch of 777s on JFK-LAX?
Never will be a bunch of 777s on the route. Frequency, when demanded, will be either incremental wide-body adds and/or help from B6. Longer, term if high-frequency demand comes back and AA wants to serve that on their own metal, it will be with an investment in a new narrow-body configuration (I would expect all aisle-access J and a much smaller, if any F).

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Dec 3, 2020 at 1:34 pm Reason: amplification
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:33 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer
Unless AA could make PE a different product, could make PE experience consistent on most flights and could price PE logically, I do not see the value of PE cabin here.
Which is exactly why for the time being, we're sort of getting the best of both worlds as elites-- PE seat at a Y price.
JALOO5-Flyer and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dw
Which is exactly why for the time being, we're sort of getting the best of both worlds as elites-- PE seat at a Y price.
If we eliminate the alcoholic drink and the food service in Domestic First, it's the same seat when flying on a $399 JFK-CLT-LAX in Domestic First seat for the 1/3 price.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If we eliminate the alcoholic drink and the food service in Domestic First, it's the same seat when flying on a $399 JFK-CLT-LAX in Domestic First seat for the 1/3 price.
This is why I always booked the 787 between LAX and DFW. Why stare at your name in the #27 slot of a 60 person upgrade list when you can get the same seat on a coach fare at booking?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcain
This is why I always booked the 787 between LAX and DFW. Why stare at your name in the #27 slot of a 60 person upgrade list when you can get the same seat on a coach fare at booking?
Especially now with standard domestic F service not being all that different from MCE.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I always thought a big benefit of A321T F that would appeal to people paying for it was the privacy of the small cabin + convenience of the frequent departures.

If you just cared about seat only why not book D1?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I always thought a big benefit of A321T F that would appeal to people paying for it was the privacy of the small cabin + convenience of the frequent departures.

The D1seat on Delta’s 767s is pretty terrible. The only positive to it is that it has direct aisle access. Aside from that, the AA J seat is more comfortable IMO.
ijgordon and JALOO5-Flyer like this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First

Have you read about what domestic transcon D1 has become these days?
cmd320 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Ah I didn't know DL was running old 767s on the flight so can see why AA's 777s would be superior. Am thinking only pre-covid; right now there are very clear differences.

I personally really like AA's transcon (100% dependable hard product consistency, A321T is quite comfortable, no special upgrade process) so have little experience with competitors. I'll miss the A321T if it's gone. Have never flown DL on the route; UA I think is the worst option with the consistency failure (multiple aircraft types and 737 swaps) and uncomfortable aircraft (777 coffins and high-density).
Old Dec 4, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Ah I didn't know DL was running old 767s on the flight so can see why AA's 777s would be superior. Am thinking only pre-covid; right now there are very clear differences.

I personally really like AA's transcon (100% dependable hard product consistency, A321T is quite comfortable, no special upgrade process) so have little experience with competitors. I'll miss the A321T if it's gone. Have never flown DL on the route; UA I think is the worst option with the consistency failure (multiple aircraft types and 737 swaps) and uncomfortable aircraft (777 coffins and high-density).
I guess that what others were trying to mention was that on Delta One, the soft-product is far inferior compared to American Airlines regardless of the seat.
On Delta, there is no onboard service other than a snack box and water, beer, and wine upon request even on Delta One on premium transcontinental routes.

If your priority is a lie-flat seat and you don't care about anything else Delta might be a good option; however, when I pay $499 or higher for a premium cabin on a 5h route, I would also expect a decent soft-product. The safety method that indirectly shouts to the customer "go eat at the airport at your own expense" does not fit for me.
AANYC1981 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
IOn Delta, there is no onboard service other than a snack box and water, beer, and wine upon request even on Delta One on premium transcontinental routes.
Despite the limited catering corporate has dictated at DL, "upon request" is not how I'd describe my recent experiences in D1. The menu offerings may be more limited, but the FAs seem to be more visible/proactive in topping off what's on offer vs AA (or UA).

For the most part, DL FAs still recognize you are the customer and basically ensure their livelihood...they still strive to anticipate your needs and aren't put out by requests, even if corporate has tied one hand behind their backs with respect to specifics...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.