Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Winter 2020-21 longhaul schedule reductions announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter 2020-21 longhaul schedule reductions announced

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mvoight
Did they same also apply to UK, because a lot of the canceled flights are to LHR, which would have nothing to with the EU rules
For all intents and purposes the UK is still in the EU until 31st December 2020.

Plus I really don't see the UK Government wanting not to suspend the 80/20 rule even if it was their decision to make.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
... other than MIA/GRU are there any additional plans for flights to SA?
The borders are shut down, sadly, except to cargo and occasional flights for repatriating citizens.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The borders are shut down, sadly, except to cargo and occasional flights for repatriating citizens.
They are running daily MIA-EZE starting October 8th with the caveat that only Argentine citizens and permanent residents can take these flights. Their special flights between this city pair must have done well enough to justify this and with plenty of Argentines who have links to MIA and with lockdown fatigue it may work out
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:52 pm

Actually this are the planned flights for Brazil: American Airlines NW20 (25 October 2020 to 27 March 2021)

Dallas/Ft. Worth – Sao Paulo Guarulhos 24OCT20 – 30NOV20 787-8 replaces -9, 1 daily

Miami – Rio de Janeiro Galeao eff 17DEC20 Service resumption, 1 daily 787-8 (Original plan: 2 daily; Previous plan: service resumes from 25OCT20)

Miami – Sao Paulo Guarulhos Reduce from 3 to 1 daily, 777-300ER operating

New York JFK – Rio de Janeiro Galeao Planned service resumption from 17DEC20 cancelled (Service will not resume)

New York JFK – Sao Paulo Guarulhos eff 17DEC20 Service resumption, 1 daily 777-300ER

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-27sep20/
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tilto007
Wow, no flights LAX to LHR is surprising !!
Indeed. Looks like BA will fill in with their pared-down flight on this route.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Until they get one look at the 777 CW seat and the cold meal boxes on offer over at BA.
I'd probably be more inclined to fly LAX-JFK-LHR and stick to a premium transcon and an AA flight than suffer through misery that is BA CW at the moment.
Definitely at this time. However, there are reports that "regular" F & J service should be back by the end of October.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
They are running daily MIA-EZE starting October 8th with the caveat that only Argentine citizens and permanent residents can take these flights. Their special flights between this city pair must have done well enough to justify this and with plenty of Argentines who have links to MIA and with lockdown fatigue it may work out
I remember reading somewhere that AA makes a ton of money on cargo in the EZE market. Perhaps even enough to sustain the flights with fairly empty passenger cabins.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
how sad reading about al the cuts... necessary .. yes , but still sad
Old Sep 29, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by Stripe
I was looking for award flights to/from Dublin on Saturday afternoon, saw the DFW flights which are perfect from a timing standpoint, and from a tax standpoint, but when I went to book that evening they were gone. Sad, but not surprising. So AA will have no flights to Dublin. Now any award flights require the heavy BA taxes.

If I had managed to book them before the schedule change would AA have moved me to a BA itinerary without charging me the extra tax?
If you can get an award flight to Spain on AA, you may be able to find award tickets on to Dublin on IB. IB does impose surcharges, but theirs are much lower than BA's. The surcharge on an award flight between Spain and Ireland would be low, and even on a transatlantic flight IB's surcharge would not be unreasonable if you can't get an AA flight to Spain.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Had booked LHR-PHL-XXX (Northeastern city) roundtrip last Friday on AAdvantage miles as a web special for travel around Christmas. Flights ticketed but then the LHR-PHL/PHL-LHR flights cancelled a day later, and AA has re-routed me through CLT on way there and ORD on way back, adding several hours to the trip each way.

Annoyingly, AAdvantage prices on non-web special flights of similar duration to my original ones that include a British Airways segment have gone up £200+ since Friday.

Yet AA is standing firm with the web special policy, saying my only option is to take much longer flights or to cancel the entire trip, but refusing to re-book onto similar flights that include a BA segment or waive the cost difference. Agent told me I'm getting there the same day as the original flights so should be grateful.

Not impressed.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by DC Mike
Had booked LHR-PHL-XXX (Northeastern city) roundtrip last Friday on AAdvantage miles as a web special for travel around Christmas. Flights ticketed but then the LHR-PHL/PHL-LHR flights cancelled a day later, and AA has re-routed me through CLT on way there and ORD on way back, adding several hours to the trip each way.

Annoyingly, AAdvantage prices on non-web special flights of similar duration to my original ones that include a British Airways segment have gone up £200+ since Friday.

Yet AA is standing firm with the web special policy, saying my only option is to take much longer flights or to cancel the entire trip, but refusing to re-book onto similar flights that include a BA segment or waive the cost difference. Agent told me I'm getting there the same day as the original flights so should be grateful.

Not impressed.
did your original booking/routing include any flights on BA? If not, perhaps AA prefers/insists you fly on AA aircraft not BA in exchange for the cheapy rates. Just guessing. Usually a major schedule change on AA allows you to request anything you want on AA that works, but if what you want to change to now includes a partner airline, they may balk at that if it didnt originally include BA.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I remember reading somewhere that AA makes a ton of money on cargo in the EZE market. Perhaps even enough to sustain the flights with fairly empty passenger cabins.
Indeed they do which is why they would send 772s even when they couldn't sell any F seats (back when the 772s had 16 F seats)
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by fotographer
how sad reading about al the cuts... necessary .. yes , but still sad
Indeed so. I can barely believe that LHR-LAX has gone for the winter, especially as AA were showing two during the winter. I understood that Cargo was underpinning the route. Clearly that is not the case. I wonder what they
will do with the aircraft?
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I wonder what they will do with the aircraft?
Park it some place warm and dry for awhile.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Indeed they do which is why they would send 772s even when they couldn't sell any F seats (back when the 772s had 16 F seats)
Great opportunities for non-revs!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
I booked a J award from BOS-LHR in December and was rebooked BOS-JFK-LHR / LHR-ORD-JFK. Obviously the BOS-LHR BA codeshare is still running; when i asked to be switched to that, they said they would not. Is this a case of HUACA? That doesn't jive with my interpretation of the reaccom rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.