Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Winter 2020-21 longhaul schedule reductions announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Cranky Traveler sums up AA’s longhaul winter schedule reductions (through 27 Mar 2021). Link

American Guts Europe This Winter

American has hoping that things would pick up this winter. It boldly decided to fly its full London schedule as the backbone of its European service. It has now come to the realization that this just isn’t going to work. So, schedules are being torn up through the end of March when the IATA winter season ends. Here’s the carnage:

• Boston – London/Heathrow won’t operate

• Charlotte – London/Heathrow cut from 2x daily to 3x weekly

• Charlotte – Munich won’t operate

• Chicago/O’Hare – London/Heathrow cut from 3x daily to 1x daily

• Dallas/Fort Worth – Amsterdam cut from 1x daily to 3x weekly

• Dallas/Fort Worth – Dublin won’t operate

• Dallas/Fort Worth – London/Heathrow cut from 24x weekly to 1x daily

• Los Angeles – London/Heathrow won’t operate

• Miami – Barcelona won’t operate

• Miami – London/Heathrow cut from 2x daily to 1x daily

• New York/JFK – London/Heathrow cut from 27x weekly to 1x daily

• New York/JFK – Paris/CDG won’t operate

• Philadelphia – London/Heathrow won’t operate

• Philadelphia – Madrid won’t operate

• Phoenix – London/Heathrow won’t operate

• Raleigh/Durham – London/Heathrow won’t operate

• Dallas/Fort Worth – Seoul/Incheon drops from 1x daily to 3x weekly

• Dallas/Fort Worth – Hong Kong’s restart has been delayed from October 24 to December 17.

Asia sees a couple cuts as well. Dallas/Fort Worth – Seoul/Incheon drops from 1x daily to 3x weekly through the winter and Dallas/Fort Worth – Hong Kong’s restart has been delayed from October 24 to December 17.The Caribbean sees cuts as well with Bonaire, Curacao, and Grand Cayman having flights pushed back into November and December. Over in the Pacific, Hawai’i sees most restarts pushed until October 15, but LAX to Honolulu also gets cut from 2 daily to 1 for the rest of that month, indicating weakness is still expected.“
aztimm and Owenc like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: Avios
Wow, no flights LAX to LHR is surprising !!
JDiver, enviroian, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It wasn't bold. It had to plan to operate the flights because at the time they put them in the schedule it wasn't clear if the EU would suspend the 80/20 use/lose rule or not for the winder seasdon that runs from end October to end March.

Now that is has been suspended AA can cancel the flights knowing their European airport slots are protected and can run a more limited schedule
JDiver, formeraa, CMHUA and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
DFW-LHR at 1x. Never thought I'd see that day
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It wasn't bold. It had to plan to operate the flights because at the time they put them in the schedule it wasn't clear if the EU would suspend the 80/20 use/lose rule or not for the winder seasdon that runs from end October to end March.

Now that is has been suspended AA can cancel the flights knowing their European airport slots are protected and can run a more limited schedule
Did they same also apply to UK, because a lot of the canceled flights are to LHR, which would have nothing to with the EU rules
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:50 am

I had a DFW-LHR flight booked for late Nov and it got changed now going through Miami...not sure what the 1x daily thing means but the person on the phone (Exc phone #) told me they might cut off the DFW-LHR flight to just a few times a week, not daily..and for future planning to check every Saturday when schedules get updated
formeraa likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tilto007
I thought so too. Have (had?) two bookings for the winter period on AA after BA cancelled theirs. I guess I’ll wait for AA to cancel them
too!
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I was looking for award flights to/from Dublin on Saturday afternoon, saw the DFW flights which are perfect from a timing standpoint, and from a tax standpoint, but when I went to book that evening they were gone. Sad, but not surprising. So AA will have no flights to Dublin. Now any award flights require the heavy BA taxes.

If I had managed to book them before the schedule change would AA have moved me to a BA itinerary without charging me the extra tax?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
... other than MIA/GRU are there any additional plans for flights to SA?
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Last edited by aztimm; Sep 28, 2020 at 5:33 pm Reason: removed off-topic portion of post
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
It would actually probably have been a pretty good time for AA to have started their DBV service this past summer. Croatia has been a staple leisure travel destination in Europe with most of the rest of it closed. IST as well. It would be interesting to see AA (and other airlines) go after the leisure international markets that are open, similar to how AA and especially UA have gone after a bunch of new domestic leisure routes.

Last edited by aztimm; Sep 28, 2020 at 5:33 pm Reason: removed off-topic portion of post
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Tilto007
Agreed.. I wonder if UA will keep their non stop and capitalize on capturing the soon to be voided AA nonstop traffic.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:13 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by enviroian
Agreed.. I wonder if UA will keep their non stop and capitalize on capturing the soon to be voided AA nonstop traffic.
AA can still sell British Airways tickets, so that's likely where most of the AA loyal pax from the AA flight will go.
formeraa likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by VFR
AA can still sell British Airways tickets, so that's likely where most of the AA loyal pax from the AA flight will go.
Right! That makes sense.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by VFR
Until they get one look at the 777 CW seat and the cold meal boxes on offer over at BA.

I'd probably be more inclined to fly LAX-JFK-LHR and stick to a premium transcon and an AA flight than suffer through misery that is BA CW at the moment.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cmd320
Until they get one look at the 777 CW seat and the cold meal boxes on offer over at BA.

I'd probably be more inclined to fly LAX-JFK-LHR and stick to a premium transcon and an AA flight than suffer through misery that is BA CW at the moment.
My December LAX-LHR return was originally booked on BA; who then cancelled. Rebooked onto AA; who today with their cancellations are now trying to route me through ORD or BOS (to connect onto BA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.