Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Keep cleared AA upgrades after crediting flight to Alaska?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keep cleared AA upgrades after crediting flight to Alaska?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Often1
Nobody here can advise on this beyond telling you what the rules are.

The same people who would have laughed at the prospect of account closings over credit card bonuses or repricing hidden city tickets and then settling in order for the passenger to retain his account, now know that it's in the cards.

Will it work? What are the consequences? Those are giant if's. I would only do this if I didn't care about being bounced to a lousy seat in Y and don't care about the AA account. But, I'm not a risk taker.
It’s absurd (IMHO, of course) to compare what the OP is asking to the systematic abuses we’ve read about and that AA has chosen to go after. In fact, the vast, vast majority of AA customers wouldn’t even know about this rule and wouldn’t have even thought to ask. (In fact, as someone who chases status on both AA and BA, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if I’ve done something like this.)

I think there’s no harm in asking at the airport. They may (although I think unlikely) make the OP choose between the upgrade and the miles, but if not I still think the chances of adverse consequences if they say yes are pretty close to zero.

I've asked for exception to the rules before — attention AA: about 25 years ago I politely asked a gate agent to upgrade a girlfriend on an award ticket, and she agreed to do it 😳; I’ve also gotten double upgrades. I’ve never lost sleep over this, and I don’t think these one-off situations are what AA is going after.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Assuming you are asking about complimentary/sticker upgrades IME you will either 1) lose the upgrade if you do this through reservations, or 2) almost surely be told no-can-do if you attempt to change your FF number after check-in.

If you are asking about confirmed (i.e., mileage or SWU) upgrades, you should be able to do it before you take the first flight, but it will depend on the competence and willingness of the agent. Again, IME, once you begin the first AA leg, you will be locked in for the remainder of the AA segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.