Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Keep cleared AA upgrades after crediting flight to Alaska?

Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE

If I clear the upgrade list at T48 and then call to credit my flight to Alaska before the flight will I loose my upgrade? I dont have status with Alaska just AA.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
If I clear the upgrade list at T48 and then call to credit my flight to Alaska before the flight will I loose my upgrade? I dont have status with Alaska just AA.
FT thread---> Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)
Wiki extract
NOTE: If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)

Earning AAdvantage Miles

"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."
Antarius, JDiver and hawkfan7314 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:03 pm

The OP is asking will he loose his upgrades not the rules. I think the OP will not loose the upgrade. I still would not chance it in case the computer has to do a sweep again if there was IROP etc.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion
The OP is asking will he loose his upgrades not the rules. I think the OP will not loose the upgrade. I still would not chance it in case the computer has to do a sweep again if there was IROP etc.
Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Also, given AA's recent emphasis on account shenanigans crackdown, there's an added risk of doing it too many times.
​​​​​​
JDiver, hawkfan7314 and Often1 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Also, given AA's recent emphasis on account shenanigans crackdown, there's an added risk of doing it too many times.
​​​​​​
So this will probably be my last flying for 5-6 months and the legs from HNL-LAX-CLT are wide open at the moment. It says I could lose the upgrade and be bumped back to economy. Which Im fine with because currently there are 23, 23! Seats taken on 32Q. As long as they dont pull my status for doing it once Im good with that.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:21 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

So this will probably be my last flying for 5-6 months and the legs from HNL-LAX-CLT are wide open at the moment. It says I could lose the upgrade and be bumped back to economy. Which Im fine with because currently there are 23, 23! Seats taken on 32Q. As long as they dont pull my status for doing it once Im good with that.
This is something that would be easy for AA to automatically flag and go after at any point in the future. I wouldnt do this unless you never plan to acquire AA miles or status again.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Dont call to make the change. Do it at the gate. Chances of negative repercussions are close to zero.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Dont call to make the change. Do it at the gate. Chances of negative repercussions are close to zero.
Gate or check in?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Actually you do run the risk of them taking the miles from your account for the upgrade if you switch it to another program after the upgrades have cleared. Ive seen that happen before.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Will they pull your status, probably not, but as it is a violation of the terms and conditions of the program, they could do this now or in the future.
You are not entitled to the upgrade if you are not flying based on your AA membership.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody here can advise on this beyond telling you what the rules are.

The same people who would have laughed at the prospect of account closings over credit card bonuses or repricing hidden city tickets and then settling in order for the passenger to retain his account, now know that it's in the cards.

Will it work? What are the consequences? Those are giant if's. I would only do this if I didn't care about being bounced to a lousy seat in Y and don't care about the AA account. But, I'm not a risk taker.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Gate or check in?
I would suspect the gate agent would be more likely to know and notice the passenger is no longer entitled to the upgrade

One question, since you have mentioned this will be your last flight for 5 or 6 months.
Does this get you AS status?

Last edited by mvoight; Sep 28, 2020 at 9:07 am
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
I would suspect the gate agent would be more likely to know and notice the passenger is no longer entitled to the upgrade
Theoretically, yes. But I've had GAs that made colossal messes of run-of-the-mill upgrades, so its possible that an out of the ordinary situation goes by unnoticed.

Regardless, this seems like a higher than 0 risk and low reward proposition.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight

One question, since you have mentioned this will be your last flight for 5 or 6 months.
Does this get you AS status?
No, Im trying to get enough Alaska miles for my next trip to the Maldives so Ive been crediting my flights to them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.