Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Executive Platinum & Platinum Pro elite benefit options survey (Sep 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott

Did anyone else get the elite benefit survey on selecting a choice of options for making plat pro or EXP instead of a standard 4 SWUs (similar to the options at 150, 200, etc EQM)? Some creative ideas in there although hard to beat the SWU option.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Yes. It's apparent from the different sets of benefits shown that AA will be reducing systemwide upgrades for EXP from 4 to a max of 3. And PlatPro will be offered 1 systemwide. It was a really poor set of choices. Wish they'd adopt UA's PointsPlus set of benefits.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
If EXP still received eight systemwide upgrades, I would not have let my status lapse... With four systemwides, there isn't enough reason for me to bother qualifying. With three systemwides, I definitely wouldn't bother.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Wish they'd adopt UA's PointsPlus set of benefits.
I think PlusPoints sound nice because of the illusion of choice but offer little value. They're basically the same in the SWU department - 4 deep discount economy to business upgrades - and worse as a program because you need PlusPoints to upgrade on NYC-LAX/SFO. Sure you can use fewer PlusPoints if you have a higher fare but if you are chancing an upgrade, why pay more to use fewer PlusPoints? There's a few nice to haves in PlusPoints (e.g. option to upgrade to premium economy - which I would only use if business is full) but I wouldn't trade that for needing points to upgrade on transcon. If Plat Pro gets a SWU that's equivalent to 80 plus points which is 2x what UA gives platinums, beyond unlimited free upgrades on transcon.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Yes. It's apparent from the different sets of benefits shown that AA will be reducing systemwide upgrades for EXP from 4 to a max of 3. And PlatPro will be offered 1 systemwide. It was a really poor set of choices. Wish they'd adopt UA's PointsPlus set of benefits.
Given that an EXP must pass Plat Pro to become EXP, an EXP would still have 4 SWUs (the survey stated this directly). Yes, I would prefer it to be 8, but there is no suggestion of it being reduced further from 4.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:29 am

I think when COVID is over AA will find most people have been cured of the need to pursue status, and that they will need to start providing real value to generate anything close to the excitement and loyalty they’ve been accustomed to.
beachfan, 355F1, apeortdz and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
I think when COVID is over AA will find most people have been cured of the need to pursue status <SNIP>.
Let me know when they have that vaccine available......I still have the fever...
SouthernCross likes this.

Last edited by jhalapin; Sep 4, 2020 at 6:37 am Reason: I can't spell
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I didn't get the email. Care to share the full list of options you were presented?
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's discussed (and posted) on OMAAT: AA May Add Elite Choice Awards

The version posted by Lucky would apparently allow EXP as many as 5 SWU (1 as PP, 4 as EXP), plus an additional choice benefit.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Did anyone else get the elite benefit survey on selecting a choice of options for making plat pro or EXP instead of a standard 4 SWUs (similar to the options at 150, 200, etc EQM)? Some creative ideas in there although hard to beat the SWU option.
Yes, I filled out the survey and indicated that all the other choices are insignificant compared to the SWUs.
I also indicated that I will have little motivation to requalify if they further reduce the number of SWUs.
iadisgreat likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I didn't get a survey. I wonder if they are just sent out random or with a target audience in mind.

Perhaps someone at Advantage got wind of my pic holding an invisible PDB and decided no survey for mr hudson news nuts.
robertablake likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
No survey for me
Spanish likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
I think when COVID is over AA will find most people have been cured of the need to pursue status, and that they will need to start providing real value to generate anything close to the excitement and loyalty they’ve been accustomed to.
This.

I didn't get a survey either, but I'd suggest that maybe being able to use SWU's at time of booking, being able to secure F and J partner award flights, and being able to book AA award flights without bizarre routings and overnights might be a start.

I've been EXP for many years and I guess when the benefits just keep being whittled away a little at a time you just don't notice as much, but COVID has provided me with a much needed mental reset as to the value of all of this.
kcmd and 355F1 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
No survey for me
Same!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:16 pm

No survey for me.

Choices are good, but how about just making it easier to use SWUs, which are potentially worth thousands of dollars, rather than giving me a $200 pair of headphones?
iadisgreat and AANYC1981 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.