Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy BA A350 vs AA 787...which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold

I have a choice between both on a flight from ORD to LHR... My primary concern is Seat Comfort and in particular width. i am sure both are good products but wanted to ask anyone with experience.

and if you prefer one if you can hint at any seat locations that are preferred that would be appreciated.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA 787 is 7 across, compared to 8 across on BA A350. So AA may have slightly wider premium economy seats. I experienced PE on AA 777 once - almost as wide as domestic first class seat. I like the bulkhead row as it has more room.
feysul likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Austin787
AA 787 is 7 across, compared to 8 across on BA A350. So AA may have slightly wider premium economy seats. I experienced PE on AA 777 once - almost as wide as domestic first class seat. I like the bulkhead row as it has more room.
More importantly, on the AA 787, PE gets access to two lavatories shared with Business whilst BA A350 PE pax have to use the regular Economy lavs. Also, AA PE food has been much better.
feysul likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I know that on the AA 777 in PE, the aisle armrest drops to facilitate disabled access and improve width. I had it in the bulkhead H seat and it was fantastic with enough leg room. If the 787 seat is the same style and width, I'd recommend that bulkhead aisle.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
If it’s an option, purchase PE on BA and use avios (or AMEX points transferred to avios) to upgrade to BA’s new J suites. (Says the guy about to board a BA DXB-LHR flight in J, having done exactly this.)
Antarius and teemuflyer like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Does anyone even know what the F&B offerings on PE are on AA? Alcohol? What about meals? Covid has changed everything but I don't recall any trip reports commenting on what PE is like.
TEBraniff likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
My son recently did DFW-DUB in PE on a 788. Dinner was served, a choice of chicken bulgogi and vegetable lasagna. He chose the latter and said "the food was terrible". Complimentary alcohol was available. No more detailed feedback than that.

When I saw the choices I told him to choose the asian vegetarian option but he didn't listen to me.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Does anyone even know what the F&B offerings on PE are on AA? Alcohol? What about meals? Covid has changed everything but I don't recall any trip reports commenting on what PE is like.
you get 2 choices from business class menu. (One meat dish and one vegetarian). Drinks are free
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gateH15
you get 2 choices from business class menu. (One meat dish and one vegetarian). Drinks are free
thanks. Then the all important question is how can an EXP book economy and get into PE? We all have heard the urban legend about how it's available to EXP's but I'm not buying it and would just buy PE outright as for relatively short over the Atlantic hops PE seats are light years better than anything in domestic F and the same J menu as up front apparently. So the bottom line is you're probably looking at a $3K delta between PE and J and it boils down to the lie flat seat.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
thanks. Then the all important question is how can an EXP book economy and get into PE? We all have heard the urban legend about how it's available to EXP's but I'm not buying it and would just buy PE outright as for relatively short over the Atlantic hops PE seats are light years better than anything in domestic F and the same J menu as up front apparently. So the bottom line is you're probably looking at a $3K delta between PE and J and it boils down to the lie flat seat.
if space available in PE you can ask to be upgraded for free on a day of departure as EXP
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if space available in PE you can ask to be upgraded for free on a day of departure as EXP
Which of course begs the question if I'm an EXP who pays for PE and someone else get it's for free I'd be pissed.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:11 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Folks - the OP of the this thread is asking for a comparison between BA and AA, specifically on seat comfort/width.

Discussion about EXP accessing PE seats is here: Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]
Discussion about international meals is here: Combined 2020 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

/Moderator
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
That is incorrect. AA has entirely different meals for PE and none of the choices are from J; BA is the one that claims 2 of the options are from J but in my experience, the quality has been extremely poor and nothing like the J entrees.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

corporate-wage-slave posted some very useful figures on BA’s A350 WT+seat which you read here:

Seats on BA and their dimensions

I have sat in this seat but only for 10 mins or so. It’s a very comfortable seat but I do prefer the 2010 Recaro seats fitted in the rest of the fleet but that has more to do with familiarity than anything else.

Just as a side note, the comment posted immediately above is somewhat outdated. Pre Covid, the main meal offering in WT+ consisted of a choice of three dishes from the business class menu. However at present it’s emergency rations only.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
But only on paid tickets. This is not an option for Economy Award tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.