Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Combined 2020 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Combined 2020 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 1, 20, 9:29 pm
  #1  
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 10,357
Combined 2020 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Introduction

Welcome to the 2020 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on international. To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include routes, times, meal designation (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack/refreshments/none), and if you want, seat number. Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are guidelines, but of course, the format/style is all yours. Of course, discussion of improvements and/or cutbacks, questions, and thoughts are also welcome.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected and are okay. If you want to see other examples of past formats, check out historical Int'l meal threads - or just post the same way you've always done.

AA2: JFK-LHR: 7pm
Dinner
777 (3-class)
Business Class

(from here, share the menu, experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
In the mood to enjoy a throwback? Enjoy reading international meal threads from years past!For the 2020 Domestic Meals thread, click here.

(h/t to MrAndy1369 for the format of this first post.)

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 2, 20 at 8:56 pm Reason: Update OP
JY1024 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 20, 6:11 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 50
AA90 ORD-LHR
12/26, 9:10am Departure
787-8 Business

This is a December 2019 meal but I'm posting it here because the 2019 thread is closed and I didn't see my meal posted in that thread.

MENU
Starter
Bloody Mary Shrimp Cocktail

Salad
Fresh Fruit Salad

Main Plates
Filet Mignon: romesco sauce, tortilla espaola, sauted mushrooms
Cheese Blintz with Rasin [sic]: ginger-peach and raisin compote, maple syrup
Pulled Chicken and Polent: pesto sauce, sauted kaled
"Everything Bagel" Smoke Salmon: "everything bagel" potato salad, olive oil, sea-salt flatbread

Dessert
Mint Chip Ice Cream
Gourmet Cheese Plate

--

Light Meal offered prior to arrival
Tri-color Quinoa Sala with fruit and mint
Toasted Croque-Monsieur sandwich or grilled vegetable salad

PDB
Water, OJ, and Champagne. Other drinks may have been offered, but I was fine with OJ.

Soda with lemon and biscotti


Bloody Mary Cocktail (it comes with three shrimp, but I ate one before I took the pic)


Pulled Chicken Polenta



Mint Ice Cream



Croque-Monsieur Sandwich


FAs were amazing on this flight. They were very attentive and made multiple passes through the cabin to refill drinks throughout the flight.
runpete is offline  
Old Jan 2, 20, 7:24 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: CMH
Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Posts: 663
Originally Posted by runpete
AA90 ORD-LHR
12/26, 9:10am Departure
787-8 Business

FAs were amazing on this flight. They were very attentive and made multiple passes through the cabin to refill drinks throughout the flight.
The main dish doesn't look too great. How was it?

Staff can really make or break your flight, glad you had 'em.
Spanish is offline  
Old Jan 2, 20, 7:58 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by Spanish
The main dish doesn't look too great. How was it?

Staff can really make or break your flight, glad you had 'em.
Presentation was meh but flavors were good. The kale had a not-so-pleasant odor. But the slightly sweet flavor from the BBQ chicken worked well with the polenta.

This meal didn't hold a candle to the 4-courses I got on BA First flying home from London. Now that was an amazing service!
runpete is offline  
Old Jan 8, 20, 11:18 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Posts: 18,477
My 10.45am LAX-SJD flight next month:
Fraser is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:51 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Posts: 1,265
The shrimp appetizer and lobster appetizer on my recent international flights in First were both very good. I also tried the pork belly entree, which was truly excellent. The whole dish was great...the cassoulet was among the best I've had, the pork itself was great, and even the fennel was good. On a different flight, I also tried the new "James Beard inspired" raviolini. It was pretty good, but not great...I could imagine it being a domestic Business pasta entree. But mine at least looked pretty good, as seen below. I thought the recommended rose was pretty bland, but the FA (who was very knowledgeable) said that most people really liked it, so I may just have odd tastes.

AANYC1981 likes this.
ikwia is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:30 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: DFW/PHL
Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Posts: 623
AA46: ORD-LHR: 10:30pm
Dinner
789
Business Class

Small Plate
Latin Shaved Beef: lemon aioli, edamame guacamole, pico de gallo, taco crumb

Salad
Seasonal Green Salad: cranberries, feta, oven-dried tomato

Main Plates
Rotisserie Chicken
Crab Cakes: broccoli chipotle slaw, lemon chive cream sauce, blistered tomatoes (chosen)
Artichoke Ravioli
Charcuterie Plate

Due to the late departure, the meal was served as an express meal with all three courses served simultaneously on one tray. My biggest concern about ordering the crabcakes was that AA might decide to load it with fillers and binders, and I was pleasantly relieved to find them to be primarily crab meat. Unfortunately, the crab cakes lacked any sort of crispness and the slaw, served atop, exacerbated the issue, causing the crust to become even more soggy. The sauce was light but also thinner and more tart than expected. The crab meat itself was moist and pleasant, though lacking much flavor and served lukewarm. A few very small bits of shell made it into the cakes as well--just enough to be unpleasant but not large enough to be an issue.

I am not sure how many of the issues were caused by the express nature of this meal because it sure seems like it would have benefited from a longer cook time. Despite all of the issues, this is probably a slightly above average AA meal - a seemingly well-conceived dish that is perhaps let down by the execution of the in-air ovens. But compared to the other shellfish dishes that AA has served (shrimps/scallops), the crabcakes remain tender and the portion size is generous enough to satisfy most appetites.

I wouldn't particularly recommend this dish to anyone who wasn't already inclined to choose a shellfish dish. On the other hand, I would probably still make the same choice if I had to choose from this same menu.


flightrisk is offline  
Old Jan 16, 20, 3:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NCL
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Posts: 5,293
Originally Posted by flightrisk
AA46: ORD-LHR: 10:30pm
Dinner
789
Business Class

Small Plate
Latin Shaved Beef: lemon aioli, edamame guacamole, pico de gallo, taco crumb

Salad
Seasonal Green Salad: cranberries, feta, oven-dried tomato

Main Plates
Rotisserie Chicken
Crab Cakes: broccoli chipotle slaw, lemon chive cream sauce, blistered tomatoes (chosen)
Artichoke Ravioli
Charcuterie Plate

Due to the late departure, the meal was served as an express meal with all three courses served simultaneously on one tray. My biggest concern about ordering the crabcakes was that AA might decide to load it with fillers and binders, and I was pleasantly relieved to find them to be primarily crab meat. Unfortunately, the crab cakes lacked any sort of crispness and the slaw, served atop, exacerbated the issue, causing the crust to become even more soggy. The sauce was light but also thinner and more tart than expected. The crab meat itself was moist and pleasant, though lacking much flavor and served lukewarm. A few very small bits of shell made it into the cakes as well--just enough to be unpleasant but not large enough to be an issue.

I am not sure how many of the issues were caused by the express nature of this meal because it sure seems like it would have benefited from a longer cook time. Despite all of the issues, this is probably a slightly above average AA meal - a seemingly well-conceived dish that is perhaps let down by the execution of the in-air ovens. But compared to the other shellfish dishes that AA has served (shrimps/scallops), the crabcakes remain tender and the portion size is generous enough to satisfy most appetites.

I wouldn't particularly recommend this dish to anyone who wasn't already inclined to choose a shellfish dish. On the other hand, I would probably still make the same choice if I had to choose from this same menu.
Thank you very much, have just made the same choice from the same menu, and feel reassured that it's the right one (mind, not much competition, is there?). Will bring Tabasco.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 6, 20 at 12:55 pm Reason: Removed quoted pictures for real estate
Passmethesickbag is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 10:37 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 42
AA 957: MIA-SCL: 10:50pm
Dinner
772
Business Class

I went for the crab cakes.

First reaction was, wow, these are surprisingly good for AA catering. The flavor was nice, they were well cooked, not too much filler, etc. - I was pretty happy.

Second reaction, my second and virtually all subsequent bites was, damn, there are a lot of shell bits in here. Unfortunately, with almost every bite, I was spitting out small pieces of crab shell. So, the meat in this was just not well picked over. I only made it through my first crab cake before I gave up and moved onto the ice cream for dessert.

For these reasons, I cannot recommend ordering this dish, and I would not order it again. I would say other catering centers might get a different reaction, but judging by the post above, it seems like the shell pieces are an issue across multiple catering centers.




Last edited by am350; Jan 23, 20 at 10:48 am Reason: meet formatting expectations
am350 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 4:07 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NCL
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Posts: 5,293
Originally Posted by am350
AA 957: MIA-SCL: 10:50pm
Dinner
772
Business Class

I went for the crab cakes.

First reaction was, wow, these are surprisingly good for AA catering. The flavor was nice, they were well cooked, not too much filler, etc. - I was pretty happy.

Second reaction, my second and virtually all subsequent bites was, damn, there are a lot of shell bits in here. Unfortunately, with almost every bite, I was spitting out small pieces of crab shell. So, the meat in this was just not well picked over. I only made it through my first crab cake before I gave up and moved onto the ice cream for dessert.

For these reasons, I cannot recommend ordering this dish, and I would not order it again. I would say other catering centers might get a different reaction, but judging by the post above, it seems like the shell pieces are an issue across multiple catering centers.
I had them out of CLT and enjoyed them more unconditionally. They were well picked, and well cooked — and I found the sauce more buttery than acidic. AND the full sundae has been brought back for redeyes, which made me happy.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 6, 20 at 12:54 pm Reason: Removed quoted pictures for real estate
Passmethesickbag is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 9:35 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 29,049
MIA-BCN Business

I had the brisket. It was delicious and probably the best meal Ive had on AA period.

enviroian is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 9:49 am
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 7,344
Are we able to preorder via the App now? Thats what it looks like above but Ive never seen this before.
AANYC1981 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 9:56 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 29,049
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Are we able to preorder via the App now? That’s what it looks like above but I’ve never seen this before.
you mean my pic? Yes it’s a screen shot from the app. Click “manage trip” and it will pop up.
Tintin and AANYC1981 like this.
enviroian is offline  
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:07 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 7,344
Originally Posted by enviroian
you mean my pic? Yes its a screen shot from the app. Click manage trip and it will pop up.
Yep, never knew that!
Tintin, enviroian and apeortdz like this.
AANYC1981 is offline  
Old Jan 25, 20, 3:08 pm
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 7,344
JFK-GIG
772 with Zodiac seats
Dinner (abbreviated LatAm service)

The new pasta dish was so over cooked the edges were hard and crispy and the flavor wasnt anything special....it tastes just like any normal AA domestic pasta in tomato sauce.

Very good service from a young crew.







Ill add the best part of the meal was that sliced chicken appetizer....is that the mojo chicken app Ive seen on other flights? We didnt have menus because this flight was delayed 15 hours (hence the Bloody Mary) and were supposed to have the Latin shaved beef app.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jan 25, 20 at 3:13 pm
AANYC1981 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.