Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVED: SWU / VIP Expiring by 31 Jan 2020 giveaway (NO ASK; terms & conditions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

As we approach the end of the status year (31 Jan 2021, but now including interim extended use dates after 31 Jan 2020), AAdvantage members on FT with no opportunity or plans to use expiring SWU (31 Jan 2021) often gift them to other FlyerTalk members. This traditionally has begun in September, but with new interim expiry dates the thread is current now.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily deleted (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."
  • Asking for SWU here is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.

• To comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airline’s instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.

• Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.

• Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).

• Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty or French taxe de solidarité sur les billets d'avion).

• This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage terms and conditions.)

• If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. FT members have been sanctioned by AA in the past for these kinds of actions. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

For recent obsolete posts, please see ARCHIVE: Expiring SWU / VIP giveaway (strictly freely given): 2018 Edition (link).

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum Moderator team

Using expiring SWU beyond their expiration date.

It has been reported as possible here that some may be able to use an SWU beyond it’s programmed expiration date:

Those few very high value flyers with high “Eagle” (Helix score) ratings may receive extensions for unused SWU, but that is not an option for most AAdvantage members. Requests to do so will be met with a firm “no” from AA.

The system will, however, pull the SWU with the earliest expiration date. At least it has recently, and no reports on this being “fixed” have been reported. There are certain conditions that must be met for this to occur:

The AAdvantage member must have requalified as Concierge Key or Executive Platinum for the 2020 status year, and have SWU expiring 31 Jan 2021 in their account.

The SWU “pull” by the system must be prior to the SWU expiration date, even if the flight is past it - e.g. sometimes a SWU will “pull” long before the formal upgrade window, or if you can confirm a flight occurring 1 Feb or later with an SWU upgrade prior to 31 January — the system is programmed to pull your SWU with the earliest expiration date.

You can’t call and request this, it occurs naturally because (at least recently) the system is programmed that way. An agent will merely tell you this can’t be done (potentially, unless you’ve got Eagles galore.

You can’t upgrade using miles and copay, then switch to a SWU.

CAVEAT: It’s always possible the system has been altered to end this possibility, but it was extant early 2020.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVED: SWU / VIP Expiring by 31 Jan 2020 giveaway (NO ASK; terms & conditions)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
2 x SWU

I have 2 x SWU

Prefer:
- international travel
- moving to business from economy
- no flights FROM UK, France, or countries that charge a tax
- prefer someone going for holiday purposes with a spouse but due to short notice will accept most any reason for travel

send me DM with:
- names on tickets
- route of itinerary (specific which direction you want upgraded)
- record locator
- any other pertinent information
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by aragno
I have 2 x SWU

Prefer:
- international travel
- prefer someone going for holiday purposes with a spouse but due to short notice will accept most any reason for travel

send me DM with:
- names on tickets
- record locator
I'm PMing you.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat 2 mil miler, SkyMiles basic, Mileage Plus basic
Originally Posted by rampatt
Just realized I have ONE SWU to give away, Unsure if it can be of use for anyone this late stage, please PM me or flyerp at g m ail

Thanks

Happy flying!
Received a lot of PM's and emails, the lone SWU has been spoken for, best of luck to all of you...wish I was flying (upgrade or cattle class, just GO somewhere, soon hopefully!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, MileagePlus, Hawaiian Miles, Skymiles
how can one delete posts?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:06 pm

DM notifications?

I have 2 x SWU

Prefer:
- international travel

send me DM with:
- names on tickets
- record locator
Hi arango,
sent you a dm but I don't get FT messages so not sure if you saw it yet. I can use those SWUs and would be so grateful!!
I was offered 2 and the generous donor tried to apply them to my ticket, but I had just cancelled and booked a new reservation under a different record locator. I missed their email to me so they ended up getting applied to the next in line. (yay for that person!/stinks for us) I'm kicking myself for not checking my inbox more frequently.

Speaking of this, so you or anyone know how to turn on notifications for direct messages? I get forum notifications but can't figure out a way to get them for pms, which are more time sensitive.

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:11 pm

Now ticketed!

Originally Posted by doctor3
This is my 3rd year offering my unused SWUs. With that said, I have 3 unused SWUs expiring month end. Please do your search in advance to make sure availability exist for upgrade as well as any fees required for upgrade to certain destination/connections. PM for requests.

l8r

-doc
Hey doc,
Got your pm about the 1SWU left sent you pm with record locator.
Replied here since pms don't seem to generate notifications.
Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:25 pm

As we get down to the wire, has anyone considered calling AA to apply your expiring SWU to a random person? The following was discussed a couple of years ago, inconclusively:
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Anyone with expiring SWUs might want to just call in over the next couple hours and see if they'll upgrade a stranger. Great way to use it up on a random act of kindness!

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
I called and asked and got shut down immediately. Reasons include if the person may be traveling with others and doesn't want to be separated. Also person may not want to travel in a higher cabin (Highly unlikely!!) I guess a passenger could get really upset with their reservation being changed without permission. Also anyone on the waitlist would already have SWU so that doesn't help either.

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Not necessarily:
1. They could be waitlisted with a 1/19 SWU, having already used up (or never earned) 1/18 SWUs.
2. They could be waitlisted with miles+copay.

In either case, substituting your SWU for their instrument would be a pure benefit to the pax (if it ends up clearing) with nothing they could possibly complain about. They'd be up a SWU or up miles+copay compared to what they already agreed to. Waitlist position doesn't change because it's based on pax's status and EQD. Not saying AA will do it in these cases, but I don't see a logical argument against it.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by laurinky
Hey doc,
Got your pm about the 1SWU left sent you pm with record locator.
Replied here since pms don't seem to generate notifications.
Thanks!
Just replied. Upgrade done. No more SWU left..

l8r

-doc
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by doctor3
Just replied. Upgrade done. No more SWU left..

l8r

-doc
Thank you so much doc!!! You made my day :-)
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott LT Gold
I have 2 x SWU

Prefer:
- international travel

send me DM with:
- names on tickets
- record locator
I have 1x SWU expiring 1/31/20. DM me if you have a need for it. Same criteria as aragno posted, except for the point about the spouse (I only have 1x SWU). Make sure you know your flight is at least C1. I may consider someone who's going trans-con (ex. LAX-JFK) and wants to upgrade from economy to biz lie-flat.
Anyway, first-come first-served.

Edit: Gone. That was fast for the lucky person going transcon...
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
As we get down to the wire, has anyone considered calling AA to apply your expiring SWU to a random person? The following was discussed a couple of years ago, inconclusively:
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]
If you're looking for a random person, I can help with that!
Just reconfirmed my revenue economy tix have C space.

My mom and aunt are also available to be random ppl if you need more.
They're headed on a rare trip to the homeland.
Their transatlantic flight is on AA metal with confirmed C space.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
2 SWUs to go

I have 2 x SWU expiring on 1/31

Prefer:
- international travel
- no flights from UK, France, or countries that charge a tax

send me DM with:
- names on tickets
- record locator
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:44 am

Sending dm - confirmed C availability

Originally Posted by ngls
Sent you a dm with two long haul flights with C availability/confirmed upgrade. Thanks for taking a look

EDIT: sending another DM. Just talked to EXP desk, and switched to flight with C availability for all legs!! Same Record Locator! Yippee!!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage
2 Expiring SWU's up for grabs

I have 2 SWU's as well expiring on 1/31 that I can give..... jumping on the bandwagon with the preferences.

Originally Posted by ngls

Prefer:
- international travel
- no flights from UK, France, or countries that charge a tax

send me DM with:
- names on tickets
- record locator
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:36 am

Just sent PM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.