Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toddler unable to maintain face mask

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
To be fair, why did the airline have to pick an age? In the thread about AA's eating and mask wearing policy, many FTers were convinced that AA didn't need to clarify the vague and ambiguous policy. Why not just say "young children" and leave it to supposed "common sense"?
Exactly.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Does your child not want to sit in the car seat? If no, what do you do?

Some 2 year olds are already in preschool or a day care environment where rules have to be followed.

Since you have 2 months before your flight why not use this time as a teachable moment.
All I can say is, I can tell you don't have children yourself. Masks can't be secured like a car seat safety belt. The person wearing the mask has to be able to maintain it voluntarily.

And I'm not sure why you'd suggest I'd force a 22 month old to wear a mask when the CDC expressly states they should not be worn by any children under 2.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Does your nearly 2 year old have ID? I wouldnt think so.. I dont see that as a problem... , then again... in these times..
ok just checked with a FA that works for AA.. (wifes friend) she said... not an issue as far as she was concerned...
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijkh
Our 2 year old granddaughter has had cancer for the past year. She recently reached remission. During the entire year both she and her sister wore facemasks in public. They did because they had to. It was life saving. She is still building her own immunity back. You would be surprised what a 2 year old will do when they have to do it.

I take no exception unless the child has autism or some other mental or psychiatric disability. Deal with it. Your kid could kill my kid with their Covid germs. I take no $#!# from anyone about this. Sorry to inconvenience you. We all live together in this country. Don't like it? Stay home. We do unless someone needs food, medicine or to go to one of what seems a million doctors appointments. She was referred to Sloane Kettering for a special post cancer treatment. We cancelled that plan. Why? Kids and adults who "can't" or "won't" wear masks. Grrrr.
I'm in an unexpected situation (due to the policy change, after I purchased our tickets, regarding masks for 2 year olds) and trying to make an informed decision. I don't understand why you feel you need to lash out at me. I am very glad your granddaughter is in remission.
argolfer likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
Does your nearly 2 year old have ID? I wouldnt think so.. I dont see that as a problem... , then again... in these times..
ok just checked with a FA that works for AA.. (wifes friend) she said... not an issue as far as she was concerned...
She has a passport. And AA has her date of birth in the reservation. And we're not going to lie about her age (even if a 24.5 month year old could pass for a 23 month old) in any event. Thanks for asking the FA. I don't think most FAs would make a big deal over such a young child, especially if we're making best efforts to keep it on, but I wish BA would just waive the cancellation penalty and we could book on another airline to avoid this issue completely.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
the simplest thing you can do is wait, unless you need the avios from the tickets back in your account for a different immediate use.

With a decent amount of time between now and your flight, there are a couple of things that could happen. AA may relax the mask policy if the pandemic has been brought under control, or with an additional requirement such as a negative covid test (like LH recently did). Or more likely, there will be a schedule change entitling you to a free refund anyways. Or your two year old may follow directions better and demonstrate the capability to wear a mask for a few hours, especially if older bro/sis sets a good example.

if any of these three happen, then you will not be happy if you have paid good money to refund the tickets.
This is a good point. I doubt the mask policy will relax anytime soon, but I will wait another month to see if there's a schedule change or cancellation. The BA agent said I can cancel up to 24 hours in advance, although in reality I'd need to cancel before then anyway to book a replacement flight on a different airline.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:40 am
Suspended

A 2 y.o. child won't be a news topic because she can't wear a mask. I don't think that this will be a problem since my sister traveled with Avios too and her 3y.o. boy didn't wear a mask properly and everything was just fine.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Gold
I would wait to cancel until the last minute if your concern is paying the cancellation fee.

In the meantime I would be using parental bribery to get my child used to wearing a mask.
How about really special mask---maybe favorite cartoon character or animal?
Followed by prizes for wearing it for short periods. Some stickers, candy, whatever, for wearing for 15 minutes once a day. Then increase the time each week.
It would take some effort on your part but considering the situation, I would want my child compliant with wearing a mask for their own safety, as well as protecting others in public.
Even a 2 year old is old enough to understand what big boys and girls do and want to mimic their behavior. So enlist the 4 year old to help. I would not be above promising the 4 year old a reward for helping the younger one practice being safe with a mask.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Chris2013
Because 4 years old is the age where most start school and are expected to be able to follow instructions (whether they do or not is a different story). If you're not yet potty trained, requiring a mask seems sort of silly don't you think? If I had a barely 2 year old, I'd probably just lie about their age to skirt the requirement.
How are you going to hide the age of the child? The manifest will identify if the child is under 2 or not, I assume. I know the airline will have the birthdate
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Because eventually we need to return to some semblance of normalcy. Living in fear is not a way to go through life. Now I don’t condone going to big events or gatherings since the risk is considerably higher.
Sure, but let the professionals make that decision. Epidemiologists, virologists at the CDC, ECDC, WHO.

Not every random person who has an opinion on the subject.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fotographer
The "nearly 2 year old" will be over 2 when flying, correct?
The policy is published for over 2 years old. My understanding is if an airline publishes a policy they are legally required to enforce it.
Did she say why the specific AA policy would not be enforced?
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alice Franco
A 2 y.o. child won't be a news topic because she can't wear a mask. I don't think that this will be a problem since my sister traveled with Avios too and her 3y.o. boy didn't wear a mask properly and everything was just fine.
A 2 year old was just in the news recently for exactly that, on a JetBlue flight.

Last edited by mvoight; Aug 26, 2020 at 8:39 am
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Antarius
Sure, but let the professionals make that decision. Epidemiologists, virologists at the CDC, ECDC, WHO.

Not every random person who has an opinion on the subject.
Part of living in a Democratic Republic is the ability to make decisions which are right for you and your family within the confines of the law. Even the "experts" do not have a unified stance on traveling, social distancing, etc.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:38 am

Agreed. Let it up to parents to decide whether their kids need to wear masks or not.
It is up to the parents 100%

Don't want the kid to wear a mask? Don't take them to a place that requires them.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:42 am

What's really frustrating is that up until just recently, they were saying that some people had legitimate reasons not to wear masks and simply asks other passengers not to be alarmed about it during the pre-flight announcements. I saw roughly 98% mask compliance. Now we might be up by half a percent, at the cost of special needs families and people with young children trying to get across the country to bury grandma.

This is a classic example of fear culture. Your risk of becoming infected on an airplane is infinitesimally low. We all accept a certain risk in everything we do. The idea that it's horrifically reckless if there are two or three passengers on a plane not able to keep their masks on is not based on science & reason but rather on the inability of a tiny minority of people to grasp basic statistics.

I've flown dozens of segments this summer. Several times I sat next to people who weren't wearing masks properly, including flight crews.

All of that having been said, I honestly wouldn't try it if you aren't pretty darn sure that you'll get compliance from your child. There are plenty of examples of people being left stranded over this, including one case in TX where AA stranded the family mid-trip with no way to get home, after allowing the child to go maskless on the flight out. I think you have to assume that could happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.