Wiki Posts
Search

New - using miles for better seats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
New - using miles for better seats

Checking into my flight for tomorrow I found a new little quirk - AA is offering seat options (MCE, etc.) for a mileage copay. Didn't get to see what the mileage redemption rates were, but its an interesting quirk.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Rest assure, AA is not going to ask for a few hundred, but thousands. So it is best to forget it and pay with cash instead.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Welcome news for me, especially if I could use my miles to gift better seats to friends and family members. Look forward to more details.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
In the ballpark of $0.01/mile from what I’ve seen so far. Not exactly, but very close.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Checking into my flight for tomorrow I found a new little quirk - AA is offering seat options (MCE, etc.) for a mileage copay. Didn't get to see what the mileage redemption rates were, but its an interesting quirk.
You're Platinum Pro? Why is AA trying to charge you a co-pay in any currency?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
In the ballpark of $0.01/mile from what I’ve seen so far. Not exactly, but very close.
Not as bad as some others. Only worth it if you have an excess of miles (or not enough for an award redemption), of course. I imagine most people get more value than that from their redemptions.
KL/AF use €0.004 per mile.
Originally Posted by Herb687
You're Platinum Pro? Why is AA trying to charge you a co-pay in any currency?
Perhaps it simply said “$0 or 0 miles”, hence why he couldn’t see the rate.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Delta has done this for C+ and F upgrades for years now. It’s usually an offer that includes a money and/or mileage upgrade. Miles are usually charged at the equivalent pay with miles rate.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Djokison
Perhaps it simply said “$0 or 0 miles”, hence why he couldn’t see the rate.
Correct.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I miss the days when the seat map on the plane.. had your pick of any seat.... expect J and F of course...
you know there will be a time, when they will start charging for every seat you choose....
Old Aug 3, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
I miss the days when the seat map on the plane.. had your pick of any seat.... expect J and F of course...
you know there will be a time, when they will start charging for every seat you choose....
If you don't have any status that's basically already the case unless you want to sit in 28B or something like that.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
If you don't have any status that's basically already the case unless you want to sit in 28B or something like that.
maybe I showing my age... I remember traveling when airlines did not have FF programs.... yes I am old.. or I just have been traveling for a long time
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Back when I could select any seat (before I had any status), I never expected J or F. Not sure why someone would expect to get one of those, especially without status.
I was put in F once before I had status, and it was a total surprise. But certainly never something I would expect.

I saw something about the seats for miles on a Facebook group a week or so ago and the only thing I wondered was, "what took them so long."
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I remember the days that the check in agent assigned your seat but with flight loads back then unless you were traveling at a peak time, or showed up towards the end of check in, it was always the choice of a window or aisle. The same service and spacing so there was far less stress if you were in 8A versus 25A, unless you had a tight connection.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by aztimm
Back when I could select any seat (before I had any status), I never expected J or F. Not sure why someone would expect to get one of those, especially without status.
I was put in F once before I had status, and it was a total surprise. But certainly never something I would expect.

I saw something about the seats for miles on a Facebook group a week or so ago and the only thing I wondered was, "what took them so long."
I'm pretty sure that was a typo, and what OP meant to write was "execpt J or F."
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
I'm pretty sure that was a typo, and what OP meant to write was "execpt J or F."
I'm pretty sure that was a typo, and what you meant to write was "except J or F."

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. )
Antarius and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.