FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   New - using miles for better seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2022676-new-using-miles-better-seats.html)

IADCAflyer Aug 1, 2020 10:41 pm

New - using miles for better seats

Checking into my flight for tomorrow I found a new little quirk - AA is offering seat options (MCE, etc.) for a mileage copay. Didn't get to see what the mileage redemption rates were, but its an interesting quirk.

garykung Aug 1, 2020 11:33 pm

Rest assure, AA is not going to ask for a few hundred, but thousands. So it is best to forget it and pay with cash instead.

FAA1996 Aug 2, 2020 7:38 am

Welcome news for me, especially if I could use my miles to gift better seats to friends and family members. Look forward to more details.

javabytes Aug 2, 2020 10:13 am

In the ballpark of $0.01/mile from what I’ve seen so far. Not exactly, but very close.

Herb687 Aug 2, 2020 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 32575221)
Checking into my flight for tomorrow I found a new little quirk - AA is offering seat options (MCE, etc.) for a mileage copay. Didn't get to see what the mileage redemption rates were, but its an interesting quirk.

You're Platinum Pro? Why is AA trying to charge you a co-pay in any currency?

Djokison Aug 2, 2020 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 32576148)
In the ballpark of $0.01/mile from what I’ve seen so far. Not exactly, but very close.

Not as bad as some others. Only worth it if you have an excess of miles (or not enough for an award redemption), of course. I imagine most people get more value than that from their redemptions.
KL/AF use €0.004 per mile.

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 32576689)
You're Platinum Pro? Why is AA trying to charge you a co-pay in any currency?

Perhaps it simply said “$0 or 0 miles”, hence why he couldn’t see the rate.

cmd320 Aug 2, 2020 6:15 pm

Delta has done this for C+ and F upgrades for years now. It’s usually an offer that includes a money and/or mileage upgrade. Miles are usually charged at the equivalent pay with miles rate.

IADCAflyer Aug 2, 2020 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 32576947)
Perhaps it simply said “$0 or 0 miles”, hence why he couldn’t see the rate.

Correct.

fotographer Aug 3, 2020 8:34 am

I miss the days when the seat map on the plane.. had your pick of any seat.... expect J and F of course...
you know there will be a time, when they will start charging for every seat you choose....

cmd320 Aug 3, 2020 8:39 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 32578082)
I miss the days when the seat map on the plane.. had your pick of any seat.... expect J and F of course...
you know there will be a time, when they will start charging for every seat you choose....

If you don't have any status that's basically already the case unless you want to sit in 28B or something like that.

fotographer Aug 3, 2020 8:45 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32578092)
If you don't have any status that's basically already the case unless you want to sit in 28B or something like that.

maybe I showing my age... I remember traveling when airlines did not have FF programs.... yes I am old.. or I just have been traveling for a long time

aztimm Aug 3, 2020 9:13 am

Back when I could select any seat (before I had any status), I never expected J or F. Not sure why someone would expect to get one of those, especially without status.
I was put in F once before I had status, and it was a total surprise. But certainly never something I would expect.

I saw something about the seats for miles on a Facebook group a week or so ago and the only thing I wondered was, "what took them so long."

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Aug 3, 2020 9:56 am

I remember the days that the check in agent assigned your seat but with flight loads back then unless you were traveling at a peak time, or showed up towards the end of check in, it was always the choice of a window or aisle. The same service and spacing so there was far less stress if you were in 8A versus 25A, unless you had a tight connection.

NotDuncan Aug 3, 2020 10:39 am

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32578166)
Back when I could select any seat (before I had any status), I never expected J or F. Not sure why someone would expect to get one of those, especially without status.
I was put in F once before I had status, and it was a total surprise. But certainly never something I would expect.

I saw something about the seats for miles on a Facebook group a week or so ago and the only thing I wondered was, "what took them so long."

I'm pretty sure that was a typo, and what OP meant to write was "execpt J or F."

writerguyfl Aug 3, 2020 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by NotDuncan (Post 32578366)
I'm pretty sure that was a typo, and what OP meant to write was "execpt J or F."

I'm pretty sure that was a typo, and what you meant to write was "except J or F."

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p)