Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AAway
Admirals Clubs began opening 22 June 2020. (Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining have no immediate plans for reopening.)

Link to AA lounge changes and updates page

As of May 7, 2021:

An update on our lounges

Admirals Club® lounges are reopening in phases with new improvements to reinforce your well-being.

We adhere to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and use enhanced cleaning measures throughout our clubs.

You're required to wear a face covering in the club, but you may briefly lift or lower it while eating or drinking.

Reopened clubs

• Atlanta (ATL)
  • Austin (AUS) – Gate 22
  • Boston (BOS) – Terminal B
  • Charlotte (CLT) – Concourses B and C
  • Chicago O'Hare (ORD) – Concourse H/K; Concourse G (re-opened August 2021); and Concourse L (re-opened July 2021)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW) – Terminals A, B, C, D, and E
  • Denver (DEN) – Concourse A
  • Houston Intercontinental (IAH) – Terminal A
  • Los Angeles (LAX) – Terminal 4, Terminal 5 and Eagle Regional Terminal
  • Mexico City / CDMX (MEX)
  • Miami (MIA) – Gates D15, D30
  • Nashville (BNA) – Concourse C
  • New York Kennedy (JFK) – Terminal 8 (in the Flagship® Lounge)
  • New York LaGuardia (LGA) – Concourse D
  • Orange County (SNA) – Gate 8
  • Orlando (MCO) – Gate 55
  • Paris, France (CDG)
  • Philadelphia (PHL) – Terminals B/C
  • Phoenix (PHX) – Gate A7 and B5
  • Raleigh / Durham (RDU) – Terminal 2
  • San Francisco (SFO) – Terminal 1
  • São Paulo (GRU)
  • St. Louis (STL) – Concourse C (Only open Monday - Friday 5am-6:30pm)
  • Tampa (TPA) – Gate 85
  • Washington Reagan (DCA) – Terminal B & C
  • Buenos Aires (EZE) - In front of Gate 8 - Terminal A
Hours will vary by location, and we may limit the capacity and offerings due to CDC guidelines or local orders or restrictions.

Clubs reopening as service centers

These locations are open as service centers and are available to offer travel assistance:
  • Pittsburgh (PIT) – Main Lobby
Hours vary by location and services like food and drinks, restrooms and shower facilities are temporarily discontinued.

Seating in these clubs is also not available at this time.

Temporarily closed Admirals Clubs

• Honolulu (HNL)
  • London Heathrow (LHR)
  • Miami (MIA) – Gates E
  • Newark (EWR)
  • Philadelphia (PHL) – Terminal A and F
  • Phoenix (PHX) – Gate A19
  • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG)
  • Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Flagship® Lounge and Flagship® First DiningExpandFlagship® Lounges at these airports are temporarily closed. Flagship® Lounge eligible customers are welcome to use the nearby Admirals Club® in each location when it reopens on June 22.
  • Chicago (ORD)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW)
  • London Heathrow (LHR) – International First Class Lounge
  • Los Angeles (LAX)
  • Miami (MIA)
  • New York Kennedy (JFK)
Flagship® First Dining at these airports are temporarily closed:
  • DFW
  • LAX
  • MIA
  • JFK
Arrivals Lounge – London (LHR)ExpandThe Arrivals lounge is temporarily closed.

The official notification from AA on 4 Jun 2020 (link):

“American Airlines will begin reopening Admirals Club lounges in phases, beginning June 22, after making improvements to adapt the clubs and product offerings to reinforce the well-being of customers and everyone who works in the clubs. See post 61 for a recent Club experience.

The following locations (did) open June 22 with pre-packaged snack offerings and a full-service bar for customers to enjoy complimentary and premium beverages. Hours vary by location and capacity and offerings could be limited due to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines or local orders or restrictions. List updated 15 July 2020. Link to Club openings, changes.

As food and beverages are served again, these are discussed in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ug-2020-a.html

Food and drink service

As we begin to reopen, we'll have modified food and drink service. Here is what you can expect: (link to Club f&b thread)
  • Complimentary pre-packaged snacks
  • Disposable, single-use glassware
  • Full-service bar
  • Touchless menus with signage and QR codes. Physical menus will be available upon request.
  • Self-serve areas will remain closed for now.

.The following safety actions have been taken.
  • Plexiglass shields at reception and service desks.
  • Foot-operated door openers to enable touchless operation of restroom doors (where feasible).
  • Hand sanitizer stations for customers.
  • Signage and floor decals to remind customers to practice social distancing.
American will continue to adhere to CDC guidelines, use enhanced cleaning measures and provide limited food and beverage offerings to help ensure the well-being of customers and team members.”

Link to archived 2020 posts from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I will advance three theories on the status of Flagship dining's status.

First, lets remember that Flagship dining is effectively a full-service restaurant with an open bar. In 3 out of the 5 locations with Flagship lounges, you have some pretty onerous restrictions on restaurants and sit down service. I think that in order to offer a consistent approach, AA could argue that the limitations on dining in Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago are so strict that they have opted against being open and have taken an all-or-none approach on these particular lounges.

Second, international First class travel and paid business travel is off significantly, so the usage rate on these lounges may not justify their continuing to be open.

Third, American isn't doing so well financially. Those lounges are probably not inexpensive to staff and to stock. I have no idea what they cost on a per person per day basis to run but between the labor cost, the food cost, the alcohol cost, and overhead cost, they can't be cheap. I'd bet that the average person consumes $10 worth of food and drink at a FL prior to a flight, and those who really indulge at the FL lounges probably consume $25 worth of food and drink. Multiply that by 1,000 passengers per day and you're at $25,000 in food/drink costs alone....
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm.... literally nobody said Flagship lounges are going away. The speculation was purely on when they reopen and clearly that will be demand driven. Do you agree or disagree with that assumption?

International first class has been going away before the pandemic panic every occurred, not gone, but reducing over time (this isn't an opinion, but rather a verifiable fact). Again, I did not assert FFD is going away, but certainly that I could see that as a risk. Do you disagree or disagree?

If you disagree with anything I've stated, then how about stringing together a counter argument that is a bit more substantial than "the pandemic is not forever!"
Regards
Since you're going with the "ummm...." technique...

Ummm....MileTrek had said what you said that nobody said...It is sitting there for all the world to read, but apparently you did not:
Originally Posted by MileTrek
Does anyone have any insight into the future of the flagship lounges? I would think by summer AA would have some plans on it's return or demise. This also applies to FFD
I literally said
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
i can't understand the speculating that Flagship Lounges, the Flagship dining, or first class is ending...It's not going to be a pandemic forever. What am I missing?
I didn't say someone reported they're going away. I said the speculation that they might all be coming to an end is something I didn't understand. In other words, the discussion about them removing flagship lounges, flagship dining, or first class....is jumping the gun, sky falling, premature, etc.
I hope that's "strung together more substantially " to your satisfaction. No need for the condescending snark in your reply.
Regards yourself.

Last edited by LovePrunes; Jan 10, 2021 at 9:27 am
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Flew into DFW on Flagship Business today and was aware that the Flagship lounge was closed, which is understandable. Proceeded to the Admiral's Club outside A23 and asked about drink vouchers but was told they are no longer giving them out. I headed to the bar to try my luck but was told I would need to pay for anything other than Miller Lite. I understand that is the policy for standard Admirals guests, but this is completely ridiculous for someone who would ordinarily have access to the Flagship lounge. Why can't AA realize that passengers spending 5k+ on a ticket should be given, at a minimum, drink vouchers to the Admirals Club?
Obviously, the $6 for a drink is nothing compared to my ticket cost so I sucked it up but none the less it leaves a taste of being cheated.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hew204
Flew into DFW on Flagship Business today and was aware that the Flagship lounge was closed, which is understandable. Proceeded to the Admiral's Club outside A23 and asked about drink vouchers but was told they are no longer giving them out. I headed to the bar to try my luck but was told I would need to pay for anything other than Miller Lite. I understand that is the policy for standard Admirals guests, but this is completely ridiculous for someone who would ordinarily have access to the Flagship lounge. Why can't AA realize that passengers spending 5k+ on a ticket should be given, at a minimum, drink vouchers to the Admirals Club?
Obviously, the $6 for a drink is nothing compared to my ticket cost so I sucked it up but none the less it leaves a taste of being cheated.
AA suspended all drink coupons for the unforeseeable future. This also includes Flagship First passengers, non-AAdvantage OW status members, and AAdvantage Platinum or higher members traveling on an international flight.

On the other hand, United is doing the right thing which is providing Polaris Lounge eligible passengers a premium snack and drink coupons.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hew204
I'd be more annoyed about spending $5K+ on an AA ticket.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
Touché
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
deleted
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
AA suspended all drink coupons for the unforeseeable future. This also includes Flagship First passengers, non-AAdvantage OW status members, and AAdvantage Platinum or higher members traveling on an international flight.

On the other hand, United is doing the right thing which is providing Polaris Lounge eligible passengers a premium snack and drink coupons.
was at United lounge at IAH a couple of times traveling TK in J as Star Gold and wasn’t offered anything extra. Is this offered to Polaris passengers only? Class of service would have allowed for Polaris lounge under normal circumstances.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by asnovici
was at United lounge at IAH a couple of times traveling TK in J as Star Gold and wasn’t offered anything extra. Is this offered to Polaris passengers only? Class of service would have allowed for Polaris lounge under normal circumstances.
Yes, it's only specific to UA Polaris passengers.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
What is the current lounge situation at LHR?

AA moved to T5 right? Since there is no Admirals Club anymore, have they said whether club members can use the BA lounges? I'm considering a trip in May.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Admirals Club members could use the Galleries Club in Terminal 5 solely when they are flying on American Airlines.
Obviously, AA Platinum and higher could access the Galleries Club when they are flying with another oneworld partner as well.

Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, Admirals Club members could use the Galleries Club in Terminal 5 solely when they are flying on American Airlines.
Obviously, AA Platinum and higher could access the Galleries Club when they are flying with another oneworld partner as well.
Good to know. Not that I'd want to pay cash for a BA flight anyway.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Today I showed up about an hour before my flight at the Admirals Club in San Francisco. The new terminal is very nice, and the new Admirals Club is beautiful. Good views of the tarmac, great places to sit, and an amazing staff. Once I got upstairs, a very friendly agent asked if I had been at the lounge before. When I said no, she gave me an overview of the layout and explained where everything was located. She was exceptionally friendly. The bartenders were also very friendly. I had a nice, long conversation with one of them about travel, and they truly made me feel welcome. There were only three other people in the lounge in San Francisco while I was there. I got some avocado toast, some other snacks, and a couple of drinks. When I ordered a tequila sunrise, bartender suggested I try it with pineapple juice. I did, and it was great. Tequila and pineapple juice might be a new go to drink. Considering the gratis tequila situation, there is still free tequila available in San Francisco.

After a short, but very nice flight down to Los Angeles on Skybest, I decided to take a very short visit to the club in Los Angeles. Whenever I checked in, the agent explained the restricted service. I told her that was fine, and I walked upstairs. A friendly agent seated me and asked if I wanted something to drink. Apparently, Los Angeles does not to have any more complimentary tequila. I ordered a double vodka tonic instead, and I said yes when she asked if I wanted a snack bag. She brought me my snack bag and drink very quickly. I didn't have much time, so I ate some cheese and crackers and chugged my cocktail.

My flight into Phoenix appeared to be one of the first of the flight Bank. Phoenix was very empty, and the lounge was quite empty whenever I arrived. While I was sitting in the lounge, I observed several flights coming in for the evening bank, and it became a bit more busy. The bartender was very friendly, and she made my visit quite enjoyable. Phoenix did not have any complimentary tequila. The bartender explained that tequila and Scotch would no longer be complementary. So I guess that is The New Normal. Upgraded vodka and whiskey, but if you like scotch or tequila then you can just go take a s*** in the bathroom and eat it. She served me multiple drinks, and I enjoyed the guacamole, soup, and snack options. Overall, I was very pleased with my experiences in the three Admirals clubs today. I only wish they had complimentary tequila.

Last edited by thunderdeacon; Jan 22, 2021 at 5:57 pm
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
...but if you like scotch or tequila then you can just go take a s*** in the bathroom and eat it.
Hmmm...I think I'll just go with vodka.

Seriously, thanks for sharing the pics/update on SFO. With the "upgraded" stock running low, AA's got to be prepping an order from McCormick Distilling to restock the wells in the ACs (sans tequila, of course).
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
the bartender explained that tequila and scotch would no longer be complementary. So i guess that is the new normal. Upgraded vodka and whiskey, but if you like scotch or tequila then you can just go take a s*** in the bathroom and eat it.... I only wish they had complimentary tequila
rofl 🤣

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.