Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA summer 2020 schedule changes due to coronavirus (02 April 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE FOLLOW “Changes to domestic and international flight schedules published 7 June 2020” at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2018992-aa-announces-increased-flight-schedules-published-7-jun-2020-a.html

American Airlines Announces Summer Schedule Changes to Match Reduced Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

Thursday, April 02, 2020, 5:00 PM — link (changes may also be seen in post #79)

Download PDF (English)PDF Format (opens in new window)FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines Group Inc. (NASDAQ: AAL) will make further capacity cuts this summer to address record low customer demand. The airline will:

Carrier further reduces international capacity for summer and winter

FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines Group Inc. (NASDAQ: AAL) will make further capacity cuts this summer to address record low customer demand. The airline will:
  • Suspend more than 60% of international capacity for the peak summer travel season versus the same period last year.
  • Delay the launch of new routes, including service from Philadelphia (PHL) to Casablanca (CMN), Chicago (ORD) to Krakow (KRK) and Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore (BLR) to 2021.
  • Delay the launch of new winter seasonal service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Christchurch (CHC) and from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to Auckland (AKL) to winter 2021.
  • Suspend 25 total summer seasonal flights until summer 2021.

Summer and winter capacity will be reduced

American will suspend more than 60% of its total international capacity this summer compared to the same peak period in 2019, which includes an 80% reduction in Pacific capacity, 65% reduction in Atlantic capacity and 48% reduction in Latin America capacity. These changes are due to significantly decreased customer demand as well as government travel restrictions — both related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The reduced summer schedule, as well as the previously announced domestic schedule reductions for May, will be reflected on aa.com starting Sunday, April 5.

The airline previously announced that new service to AKL from DFW, CHC from LAX and BLR from SEA would all begin in October 2020, but American will now begin operating those routes in winter 2021. The resumption of existing service to AKL from LAX — which was originally slated to resume in early October 2020 — will now resume at the end of October 2020.

American will further extend the start date of new routes. Service to London (LHR) from Boston (BOS) will now launch in October 2020 and service to Tel Aviv (TLV) from DFW will begin in September 2021. Service to CMN from PHL and KRK from ORD will not launch this year, as well as 23 existing summer seasonal routes.

A full list of changes to the international summer schedule is below. There are no further changes at this time.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA summer 2020 schedule changes due to coronavirus (02 April 2020)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
With the way the days fell I was hoping they might do it earlier. At any rate, it will be interesting to see how much California opens up by July; my three trips are to LAX, SAN, and SFO.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:30 am

Y'all, I've been flying AA since the early 1980s, but its truly a challenge these days. I had bookings CRP to BOS for June and CRP went from 6 flights a day to 2. Needless to say, the schedule changed and blew the connections away. 7 hour layovers in DFW? no way. So I cancelled the reservations (got a full refund!) and am now looking at July. As mentioned above, all the flights are there with good connections. However, if y'all think the schedules may change again this Sunday, then it sounds like we need to wait and see????

Hopefully the Admirals clubs will be open in July too.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
There is definately going to be a major schedule change for July. The prevailing thought is that the changes will take effect this coming Sunday morning. However, I think there will be more flights available in July than in June. It will still be cut significantly.

if you find a very cheap flight, I would still consider booking it now. I observed some fare normalization after the last schedule change. You can always get your itineraries adjusted for free after a schedule change.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
There is definately going to be a major schedule change for July. The prevailing thought is that the changes will take effect this coming Sunday morning. However, I think there will be more flights available in July than in June. It will still be cut significantly.

if you find a very cheap flight, I would still consider booking it now. I observed some fare normalization after the last schedule change. You can always get your itineraries adjusted for free after a schedule change.
Indeed, there is. Major schedule changes loaded 7 June 2020.

Please continue the discussion in the new thread.

AA Announces Increased Flight Schedules (Published 7 Jun 2020)

Thank you,

thunderdeacon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.