Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AAdvantage® program updates — link

AAdvantage® members are among our most loyal customers, and we want you to know how much we value your choice to fly with us. When the time is right for you to travel again, we’re doing all we can to ensure you receive the benefits of your membership and elite status.

In the coming weeks, we will:
  • Extend AAdvantage® elite status through January 2022
  • Lower elite qualification thresholds for 2020
  • Extend the expiration date for systemwide upgrades
  • Lower EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards for 2020
  • Introduce a promotion to reach Million Miler℠ status
  • Waive award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings*
  • Add a new American Airlines Vacations offer for AAdvantage® elite status members

Extending your AAdvantage® elite status

If your current elite status expires on January 31, 2021, we’ll automatically extend the expiration date until January 31, 2022.

You’ll continue to enjoy all the benefits that come with your status, and you can earn a higher status through lower elite qualification requirements this year.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

Lowering elite qualification requirements

You’ll be able to qualify for a higher elite status in 2020 with lower Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD), Elite Qualifying Mile (EQM) and Elite Qualifying Segment (EQS) requirements.

see chart via link

The new lower qualification thresholds will take effect by May 15, 2020. Once these changes are in place, members who reach the lower thresholds during 2020 will receive their status immediately upon qualifying (or retroactively once the changes take effect), valid through January 31, 2022.

Extending expiration of systemwide upgrades

Any unused systemwide upgrades with an expiration date of January 31, 2021, will be automatically extended through July 31, 2021. (Posted in account weekend of May 2-3 2020.)

While we’re not awarding new systemwide upgrades with the extension of Executive Platinum status, members who qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status in 2020 will receive 4 systemwide upgrades valid through January 31, 2022.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

also:

Lowering EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings (sliding scales based in advance cancellations - see this thread)

Offering an American Airlines Vacations (one time $400) credit

See full information via the link above.

Print Wikipost

Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by redtop43
It occurs to me that if it's sensible to travel in 2020, it's a good opportunity to use award miles. Unless you're one of the few hoping to earn a higher status in 2021 than you had in 2020, EQM's and EQD's earned in 2020 won't really matter.
I agree with this unless you really need those 4 extra SWU's.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by marnold3
I agree with this unless you really need those 4 extra SWU's.
How about rolling EQDs? (for upgrades)
robertablake likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by redtop43
It occurs to me that if it's sensible to travel in 2020, it's a good opportunity to use award miles. Unless you're one of the few hoping to earn a higher status in 2021 than you had in 2020, EQM's and EQD's earned in 2020 won't really matter.
Fully agree. Yes, there is some incremental benefit with getting more SWUs/EQDs or working towards a higher status, but it does seem that of all the years this is the one with lowest opportunity cost for using award miles for oneself.

And especially when I'm seeing some of the Web Specials to Europe/Asia lately (42-50k miles in J)

Of course, whether or not the current situation reaches a point where it is feasible to travel to either of those regions at any time later this year is another story.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by laagima
How about rolling EQDs? (for upgrades)
I can’t think they will change EQD’s for upgrades. If you are flying now you are helping more than if you aren’t flying. Remember this is still a lot better than UA where upgrades are more based on each ticket vs yearly spend.

Of course as a high dollar last minute coach ticket buyer I am a little biased. 😆
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by shaddie
I can’t think they will change EQD’s for upgrades.
Sure they will matter since upgrades within an elite group are decided on the basis of a 12month rolling EQD balance
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:13 am

A simple question, hopefully. On 31 December 2020, what will happen to the EQM and EQD already earned this year. Will they be zeroed out as usual. Thanks!!
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by RideThe22A
A simple question, hopefully. On 31 December 2020, what will happen to the EQM and EQD already earned this year. Will they be zeroed out as usual. Thanks!!
I think they will zero out but you will stay at least at the same level you obtained by 12/31/2019. In 2021 you will then need to re-earn your status. I don't believe AA is doing a roll over.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:42 am

Therefore there is no incentive to fly AA later this year, as my EQM and EQD balance will start as zero on January 1st 2021 regardless. Not exactly a good marketing strategy in my opinion.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:48 am

Therefore there is no incentive to fly AA later this year, as my EQM and EQD balance will start as zero on January 1st 2021 regardless. Not exactly a good marketing strategy in my opinion.
While the EQM and EQD will zero out on Jan 1st, the rolling 12 month EQD used for upgrade prioritization will still be a factor. But fundamentally agree this year is probably a good time to use miles as an elite.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Of course there is-- SWU's!
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
If you are not already EXP, there are reduced EQM/EQD requirements in 2020 to up-Tier for 2021. If travel is possible in Q4, it would be easier to qualify. I am a non-status AAdvantage member but could earn Platinum Pro for a little over $1800 & EXP for about $2800. Wouldn't that marketing entice people who are not EXP to fly a little more in the later half of the year?

James
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Has anyone seen the extension in their account? I got a notice when logging in after this was announced that they extended it, but it's still set to expire on 1/31/21 not 1/31/22.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I recall that AA said the update would occur 15May.
enviroian and seigex like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:24 pm

Mine says "Keep flying to enjoy this status
(through Jan 31, 2022)"
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Mine says "Keep flying to enjoy this status
(through Jan 31, 2022)"
This is normal, it's saying to keep flying to get your EQD/EQM to get status through 1/31/22.. there's another one towards the top that shows your current status expiration date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.