Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

Hide Wikipost
Old May 10, 20, 7:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

AAdvantage® program updates — link

AAdvantage® members are among our most loyal customers, and we want you to know how much we value your choice to fly with us. When the time is right for you to travel again, we’re doing all we can to ensure you receive the benefits of your membership and elite status.

In the coming weeks, we will:
  • Extend AAdvantage® elite status through January 2022
  • Lower elite qualification thresholds for 2020
  • Extend the expiration date for systemwide upgrades
  • Lower EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards for 2020
  • Introduce a promotion to reach Million Miler℠ status
  • Waive award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings*
  • Add a new American Airlines Vacations offer for AAdvantage® elite status members

Extending your AAdvantage® elite status

If your current elite status expires on January 31, 2021, we’ll automatically extend the expiration date until January 31, 2022.

You’ll continue to enjoy all the benefits that come with your status, and you can earn a higher status through lower elite qualification requirements this year.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

Lowering elite qualification requirements

You’ll be able to qualify for a higher elite status in 2020 with lower Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD), Elite Qualifying Mile (EQM) and Elite Qualifying Segment (EQS) requirements.

see chart via link

The new lower qualification thresholds will take effect by May 15, 2020. Once these changes are in place, members who reach the lower thresholds during 2020 will receive their status immediately upon qualifying (or retroactively once the changes take effect), valid through January 31, 2022.

Extending expiration of systemwide upgrades

Any unused systemwide upgrades with an expiration date of January 31, 2021, will be automatically extended through July 31, 2021. (Posted in account weekend of May 2-3 2020.)

While we’re not awarding new systemwide upgrades with the extension of Executive Platinum status, members who qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status in 2020 will receive 4 systemwide upgrades valid through January 31, 2022.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

also:

Lowering EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings (sliding scales based in advance cancellations - see this thread)

Offering an American Airlines Vacations (one time $400) credit

See full information via the link above.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 13, 20, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK
Exclamation Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

From The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...source=twitter

AA took their own path. Overall looks like a pretty thoughtful plan.

(See chart from aa,com below, Wikipost, and post #4 for summary. - Moderator)

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 13, 20 at 10:23 pm
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
The actual AA release is here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP
Thank you very much for this good news.
Should be easy to re-qualify and even snag some extra SWUs once the skies open up again!
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Sparknotes... status is being extended for a year, along with a few other changes.
- Reduced qualification requirements for 2020
- SWU expiration is being extended by 6 months (1/31/2021 --> 7/31/2021). No additional SWUs are awarded for the status extension, though if you requalify you will earn them.
- Every dollar spent on a co-branded credit card this year earns you 1 mile towards Million Miler.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp
GTITAN and Long Train Runnin like this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Looks like this matches what I predicted in the other thread. Extension through next year and 2020 earnings at a reduced rate but not the 50% that United did. Since UA 1K is 18K reduced to 9K then AA is matching 9K by reducing from 15K to 9K .

The CC promo is interesting - counting credit card spend from May 1st to end of year as Million Miler qual miles. I guess they want you to spend lots on your CC.
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
OMG just $9K for EXP. I'll hit that by summer's end (EXP would have been a stretch for me this year without some trips to nowhere.) I have to wonder how much this would swell the EXP ranks. I guess that will depend on and when business travel returns. But you have to admit AA was more generous than the DL and UA.
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:38 pm

Very generous of AA IMO. I'm on pace to hit about 9,000 EQD / 100,000 EQM so the chart lines up nicely for me. The fact that even golds can get $300 AAvacation credit is nice. I'm gunna have a ton of system-wide upgrades to have to use in 2021.
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by cova View Post
I guess they want you to spend lots on your CC.
Obviously. It's a lot more profitable to sell miles to Citi than to transport passengers on aircraft.

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
OMG just $9K for EXP. I'll hit that by summer's end (EXP would have been a stretch for me this year without some trips to nowhere.) I have to wonder how much this would swell the EXP ranks. I guess that will depend on and when business travel returns. But you have to admit AA was more generous than the DL and UA.
UA dropped its spend for 1K to $9K with 26 segments. AA's reduced segments is 60. So UA is really better.

Yes have enough for PlatPro already so EXP should be easy to re-earn.

Last edited by cova; Apr 13, 20 at 12:59 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Nice to see but nothing about Admirals Club memberships being extended.....hmmmm.

Nevermind I just saw the 6 month extension on club memberships.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Apr 13, 20 at 12:47 pm
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Nice to see but nothing about Admirals Club memberships being extended.....hmmmm.
Six months. That is very generous. I'll be kissing the floor of the first AC I re-enter when opened. Sitting in the terminal sucks. Possibly some ACs will open before others.
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by cova View Post
Looks like this matches what I predicted in the other thread. Extension through next year and 2020 earnings at a reduced rate but not the 50% that United did. Since UA 1K is 18K reduced to 9K then AA is matching 9K by reducing from 15K to 9K .

The CC promo is interesting - counting credit card spend from May 1st to end of year as Million Miler qual miles. I guess they want you to spend lots on your CC.
The CC promo is interesting as I'm over 900k million milers so I would like the bump but I screwed up and put all my early spending on my AA card and now need to use my SW card heavy for the companion pass -- unless that is extended! I wish they did it retroactive to Jan 1 instead of May 1 but I'll take it. Overall a good response to everything. I paid up to Platinum this year and would've been pissed if I didn't get to fully enjoy it!
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:52 pm

Title should be April 13, 2020 not March. But year it all blends together these days.
danhunterpost likes this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
Six months. That is very generous. I'll be kissing the floor of the first AC I re-enter when opened. Sitting in the terminal sucks.
Ironic given your FT name. I would think an empty MIA would be a pretty nice place in which to sit. Are the concessions still open? Certainly the food and beverage available inside the terminal at MIA beats the crap they serve or sell at the mediocre MIA Admirals Clubs.

MIA is a disgusting CF landside but once you get through security the airside area is pretty nice and has good F&B options.
Old Apr 13, 20, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by DCAAA View Post
The CC promo is interesting as I'm over 900k million milers so I would like the bump but I screwed up and put all my early spending on my AA card and now need to use my SW card heavy for the companion pass -- unless that is extended! I wish they did it retroactive to Jan 1 instead of May 1 but I'll take it. Overall a good response to everything. I paid up to Platinum this year and would've been pissed if I didn't get to fully enjoy it!
Not only is it really profitable for AA to sell miles to Citi, I'm guessing they are worried about the long term viability of AAdvantage as a consumer marketing proposition. If people start wanting to avoid accruing miles either because A) they are worried the airline will liquidate and mileage balances will evaporate; or B) they assume AA will survive but quickly return to its old ways of ever devaluing miles, AA might realize that their jig will soon be up unless they create additional incentives for people to spend on AA co-branded cards.
JoeWoodstock and catawba like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: