Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AAdvantage® program updates — link

AAdvantage® members are among our most loyal customers, and we want you to know how much we value your choice to fly with us. When the time is right for you to travel again, we’re doing all we can to ensure you receive the benefits of your membership and elite status.

In the coming weeks, we will:
  • Extend AAdvantage® elite status through January 2022
  • Lower elite qualification thresholds for 2020
  • Extend the expiration date for systemwide upgrades
  • Lower EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards for 2020
  • Introduce a promotion to reach Million Miler℠ status
  • Waive award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings*
  • Add a new American Airlines Vacations offer for AAdvantage® elite status members

Extending your AAdvantage® elite status

If your current elite status expires on January 31, 2021, we’ll automatically extend the expiration date until January 31, 2022.

You’ll continue to enjoy all the benefits that come with your status, and you can earn a higher status through lower elite qualification requirements this year.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

Lowering elite qualification requirements

You’ll be able to qualify for a higher elite status in 2020 with lower Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD), Elite Qualifying Mile (EQM) and Elite Qualifying Segment (EQS) requirements.

see chart via link

The new lower qualification thresholds will take effect by May 15, 2020. Once these changes are in place, members who reach the lower thresholds during 2020 will receive their status immediately upon qualifying (or retroactively once the changes take effect), valid through January 31, 2022.

Extending expiration of systemwide upgrades

Any unused systemwide upgrades with an expiration date of January 31, 2021, will be automatically extended through July 31, 2021. (Posted in account weekend of May 2-3 2020.)

While we’re not awarding new systemwide upgrades with the extension of Executive Platinum status, members who qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status in 2020 will receive 4 systemwide upgrades valid through January 31, 2022.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

also:

Lowering EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings (sliding scales based in advance cancellations - see this thread)

Offering an American Airlines Vacations (one time $400) credit

See full information via the link above.

Print Wikipost

Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rens
Really? Does anyone have any insight/guesstimate as to what Citi is paying for these miles? Obviously would be at a big discount to what Citi would usually pay for reward miles because these miles are not redeemable for travel. For most heavy fliers the million miler program has little tangible value. Lifetime platinum has limited value and the extra systemwides for reaching subsequent million mile levels offer little incentive now, given the easier levels for earning SWUs and also increasingly difficult opportunities to use.
Is that the general view that lifetime plat isn't worth it? I re qualified for EXP so I'm good till 2022, but I'm only 200k miles away from lifetime platinum. I'm thinking of moving my business spend to an AA card despite the horrendous value of AA miles. I don't know if I care to requalify for EXP an 8th year in a row afterwards so I may just rely on the lifetime platinum.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:46 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by enviroian
wow with these qualifying levels everyone will be an EXP.

My exact thoughts when I saw the new requirements.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by stant
found BA non stop in business for 99.5k miles round trip. LOWER than the published saver 115k miles award for rt. or if you want to stay on american flights, i found city pairs for as low as 84k miles, in first/ biz with a connection.
Very interesting. I was able to find an example of this, but only when searching a round-trip. Same BA flight didn't show up at the lower mileage price when searching one-way.

First time I've seen a Web Special in Business for a partner airline. Looks like it still books into U, as opposed to the Web Specials in AA Business that typically book into J.

Originally Posted by Stripe
I understand why AA did what it did, but for a current EXP the incentive to travel a lot in 2021 is pretty low. For $9K in spend you'll get another 4 SWUs and marginally better position on the upgrade list.
I assume you meant travel a lot in 2020? Unless AA announced something about reduced qualifiation requirements in 2021 for 2022 status as well? (like UA hinted at)
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stant
for me, I can easily get 4-5k$ value out of a pair of SWUs.
Given that SWUs are equivalent to mileage upgrades, I can't see how anyone would value a SWU at over $1k.
355F1 and dciolli like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
AA does have flights for 57.5K miles one way in business on BA and connecting flights with coach on domestic part to BA.. The 180K applies to AA metal non-stops. UA is 60K on UA metal nonstop for most days in October.
There are 42k web specials for nonstop LAX-LHR flights (AA metal) on most Mondays/Tuesdays in October.

Originally Posted by econ
Very interesting. I was able to find an example of this, but only when searching a round-trip. Same BA flight didn't show up at the lower mileage price when searching one-way.

First time I've seen a Web Special in Business for a partner airline. Looks like it still books into U, as opposed to the Web Specials in AA Business that typically book into J.
That's just a standard level partner award (57.5k) combined with an AA Web Special (42k), though if booked as a roundtrip the entire thing is treated as a "Web Special".
econ likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I think, as I am sure many of you probably do... after all the bashing AA received in the past few weeks for not announcing any sort of extension,
I am not only very happy and surprised at the same time, that AA did the right thing.
Well done AA....although it took a while
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I'm so glad that AA did what they did. In the past week, ever since DL and UA announced their changes, many people have posted what might be described as "anxiety" over what AA would offer. While I didn't post anything indicating it, I was anxiously waiting to see how AA would respond. Maybe this is a sign that the people posting on FlyerTalk are doing okay since there are obviously far more challenging economic and health concerns we could have been worried about. Remembering Psychology 101 from 40 years ago, I think in Maslow's Hierarchy, AA passengers must be at the "self realization" level in that hierarchy (I may have the term wrong - I think I only earned a C in that class )
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Most definitely doing some mileage runs end-of year!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The holy grail of elite status, upgrades, will still be based upon 12 month rolling spend, therefore, someone that retained EXP this year but traveled very little will be way down on the upgrade list (even as an EXP) when things return to somewhat normal. Yes there will be far more EXPs and during irregular operations it will be harder to get through to the EXP desk.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Am I the only one here surprised at the amount of FTers that think the new requirements will lead to many more EXPs? The new requirements of 60K EQMs and $9k EQDs isn't far off from the normal Platinum Pro 75K EQMs and $9K EQDs (old requirements). Given that at the very minimum 1/3 of most business travel is essentially lost this year I just don't see how many more people qualify on the new thresholds.

When I stopped travelling in March I was at $3475 EQDs and just over 25K EQMs. The amount of different events cancelled as far out as October for this year will severely impact my chances of getting anywhere near the new EXP requirements. Even if things opened up say June 1, I don't see myself getting out and travelling for business. I also expect the EQD portion to be extremely difficult given the low fares and lack of international travel.

I suppose there may be a few who are able to take advantage of this but I suspect 90+% of travelers are going to take the extension and start focusing on travel again in 2021.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Am I the only one here surprised at the amount of FTers that think the new requirements will lead to many more EXPs? The new requirements of 60K EQMs and $9k EQDs isn't far off from the normal Platinum Pro 75K EQMs and $9K EQDs (old requirements). Given that at the very minimum 1/3 of most business travel is essentially lost this year I just don't see how many more people qualify on the new thresholds.

When I stopped travelling in March I was at $3475 EQDs and just over 25K EQMs. The amount of different events cancelled as far out as October for this year will severely impact my chances of getting anywhere near the new EXP requirements. Even if things opened up say June 1, I don't see myself getting out and travelling for business. I also expect the EQD portion to be extremely difficult given the low fares and lack of international travel.

I suppose there may be a few who are able to take advantage of this but I suspect 90+% of travelers are going to take the extension and start focusing on travel again in 2021.
Agreed. There won't be many more. We still don't know when business travel will get back to somewhat normal and that may not even happen in 2020. I am hopeful that it does sometime this summer and think that it will, but wouldn't wager big on that happening.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by WiscAZ

Originally Posted by ksucats
Agreed. There won't be many more. We still don't know when business travel will get back to somewhat normal and that may not even happen in 2020. I am hopeful that it does sometime this summer and think that it will, but wouldn't wager big on that happening.

Not to mention, one of the biggest mileage earnings is international travel, which is all but shut down and may continue even beyond what happens domestically, both for leisure and business. The most effected international countries are the ones probably most frequented by US business travelers, Japan (foreigner ban), South Korea, England, Israel and China.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by safari ari
Not to mention, one of the biggest mileage earnings is international travel, which is all but shut down and may continue even beyond what happens domestically, both for leisure and business. The most effected international countries are the ones probably most frequented by US business travelers, Japan (foreigner ban), South Korea, England, Israel and China.
Yeah, that's my biggest impact. I attend a conference every year in Australia in August. Surprisingly, it still hasn't been cancelled. I'm hearing Australia may not open their borders up until end of the year!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
so the really only reason to try to re-qualify for EXP this year under the new reduced thresholds would be to snag 4 SWU's otherwise just wait it out for a full qualifying year and hope it gets better out there (while enjoying your extended EXP status).

My flying came to an abrupt end on 3/1 and I stand at 35K EQM and $4K EQD. I shouldn't have a problem re-qualifying, knock on wood.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My take is that some of business travel will be replaced by virtue means at least over the next few months. Discretionary business travel for many is toast not just for health but economic reasons. Business travel based upon generating revenue will probably recover really quickly as companies will be starved for sales and profits. Leisure travel is a big wide unknown. It could collapse to something we'd (and the airline) never imagined. I doubt it will resume quickly and to what it was like pre March.

For any of you that haven't traveled get ready for schedules that will be nothing but seemingly bizarre. Flight options will be few and connections could be long (count yourself lucky if you have access to the AC). It's a new world of flying. Gone will be 6-10 frequencies a day from hub/hub, hub/large station .
enviroian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.