Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AAdvantage® program updates — link

AAdvantage® members are among our most loyal customers, and we want you to know how much we value your choice to fly with us. When the time is right for you to travel again, we’re doing all we can to ensure you receive the benefits of your membership and elite status.

In the coming weeks, we will:
  • Extend AAdvantage® elite status through January 2022
  • Lower elite qualification thresholds for 2020
  • Extend the expiration date for systemwide upgrades
  • Lower EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards for 2020
  • Introduce a promotion to reach Million Miler℠ status
  • Waive award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings*
  • Add a new American Airlines Vacations offer for AAdvantage® elite status members

Extending your AAdvantage® elite status

If your current elite status expires on January 31, 2021, we’ll automatically extend the expiration date until January 31, 2022.

You’ll continue to enjoy all the benefits that come with your status, and you can earn a higher status through lower elite qualification requirements this year.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

Lowering elite qualification requirements

You’ll be able to qualify for a higher elite status in 2020 with lower Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD), Elite Qualifying Mile (EQM) and Elite Qualifying Segment (EQS) requirements.

see chart via link

The new lower qualification thresholds will take effect by May 15, 2020. Once these changes are in place, members who reach the lower thresholds during 2020 will receive their status immediately upon qualifying (or retroactively once the changes take effect), valid through January 31, 2022.

Extending expiration of systemwide upgrades

Any unused systemwide upgrades with an expiration date of January 31, 2021, will be automatically extended through July 31, 2021. (Posted in account weekend of May 2-3 2020.)

While we’re not awarding new systemwide upgrades with the extension of Executive Platinum status, members who qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status in 2020 will receive 4 systemwide upgrades valid through January 31, 2022.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

also:

Lowering EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings (sliding scales based in advance cancellations - see this thread)

Offering an American Airlines Vacations (one time $400) credit

See full information via the link above.

Print Wikipost

Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by cova
Other option is to wear PPE on the flight - if you can get it.
I suspect PPE will be the new normal on flights. At least in the foreseeable near future. I wouldn't even be shocked for that to be a requirement. If I cannot even walk into a 5,000 sq. ft. local grocery story without a mask, I have little faith it will be any different on a confined airplane cabin.
catawba likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I have the citi exec card and was aware of the 10K eqm bonus after the $40K spend (thought it was $50K spend) but wasn't aware there was a $3K EQD bonus. That's a new one for me.
The $3K is only for Barclay Silver card at $50K.. The business card is at $25K.
Barclay Silver gives 5K EQM at $20K spend and another 5K EQM at $40K spend.
Citi exec is only 10K EQM at $40K spend.

And then if you buy business class tickets - you only need to fly 20K miles to get 40K EQM.

Last edited by cova; Apr 13, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
never mind--I just re-read the email. The reduced thresholds are for the rest of this year got it.

Next year will be back to normal for earning thresholds got it.

This leaves me one question--if one can't re-qualify this year with the reduced thresholds it doesn't matter anyway since your status is being extended to cover the following year, right??
This appears to be a mistake in the email. Their website says it better - they are reducing requirements to earn a higher status in 2020

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...O||EliteStatus

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
never mind--I just re-read the email. The reduced thresholds are for the rest of this year got it.

This leaves me one question--if one can't re-qualify this year with the reduced thresholds it doesn't matter anyway since your status is being extended to cover the following year, right??
EQD rollover and gaining a higher status level, (if possible) would be the big factors. If you expect to have the same levels of UGs/SWUs usage, you'll need the rollover going into the later half of next year when your EQD drops significantly.

But yes this has been discussed on all the other threads, why fly if you already have status locked for next year. And I'd say do what you want if you want to fly the best schedule, or obtain status elsewhere, but most of us continue to fly our preferred airlines for the UGs, AC access, better seats and mileage accrual. If you jump ship then you miss out on a lot of that. Up to the flyer though.
enviroian and catawba like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by brp
This appears to be a mistake in the email. Their website says it better - they are reducing requirements to earn a higher status in 2020

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...O||EliteStatus

Cheers.
I assume that if you are say Plat Pro now and meet the reduced levels in 2020 for EXP - that you will have EXP through Jan 31, 2022. Not just for remainder of 2020.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I assume that if you are say Plat Pro now and meet the reduced levels in 2020 for EXP - that you will have EXP through Jan 31, 2022. Not just for remainder of 2020.
Never mind. I misread this

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Apr 13, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I now have two AC day passes that I got through BE points, expiring June 30,2020. They will be extended until the end of the year. I'm happy about that.

So you can still enjoy your travel benefits, Admirals Club
® memberships and One-Day Passes bought directly from American (including redeemed through mileage or Business Extra Points) will be automatically extended for 6 months beyond their expiration date.* (bolding added)

*The membership extension applies to all active members as of March 1, 2020. New annual Admirals Club® memberships purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020 will also be extended for 6 months beyond the normal 12 months. For Admirals Club® One-Day Passes, the extension applies to any unused passes with an expiration date between March 1, 2020 and May 31, 2021.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-changes.jsp
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
As someone that has all AA branded cc's, I"m motivated to get to the Ex Plat level so that I can earn the additional 4 System wide upgrades. Prior to flying ban, I was sitting at $2500 in spend and 20234 miles flown. I'll earn 3K in spend on cc and I'll earn 15,000 miles with cc spend so Ill only need $500 in spend and 25,000 miles in travel to earn 4 more SWU''s for 2021. that's a great deal. Plus the kicker will be miles counting for lifetime status. In essence, I can save an entire year of flying with my normal cc spend. Not a bad response by AA. thank you.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Looking mid-October. Nothing less than 180,000 miles one way in October LAX-LHR. UA is 60,000 for all dates in October. Again - Business for both.
Since there are no fees to cancel award reservations, AA / OW may be attempting to discourage speculative award reservations, which will likely be cancelled as the travel date approaches.
Not unlike what happened when WN offered $99 OW fares to Hawaii; loyalists made multiple, speculative reservations, only to cancel as travel plans solidified (no change fees on WN). In that case, the loss leader fares were gone, many of the seats were then filled with passengers paying higher fares.
AS does something very similar for travel in and around holidays, other peak travel days; as the date approaches, a limited number of discounted fares and awards are released to fill the remaining seats.
If passengers loads will be as dismal as some suggest, highly discounted, close-in awards should be plentiful; suggesting patience is in order.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I wonder if they will extend the validity of 2019 SWUs that had been extended. I had the expiration of two pushed back to 4/30/2020.

Last edited by JohnDCA; Apr 13, 2020 at 4:16 pm
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I'll be kissing the floor of the first AC I re-enter when opened.
And here we have the seed for our next pandemic
enviroian, JohnDCA and catawba like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Looking mid-October. Nothing less than 180,000 miles one way in October LAX-LHR. UA is 60,000 for all dates in October. Again - Business for both.
looking at one city pair for a week or two time in one month isnt exactly painting a broad picture of the facts on the ground, is it?

looking mid july, i'm seeing TONS of avalibility for as little as 84k miles RT from tpa, mia, dfw, jfk, and even lax to lhr ROUNDTRIP in business.

84k miles for a ticket that would be dirt cheap on american metal at $3000, or would easily go for $6k+ if you are booking last minute.

BTW, I found some dates for 99.5k miles RT for the lax to lhr on ba in october. but that was with with almost $600 cash copay. Not bad really when you consider it's non stop
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by stant
looking at one city pair for a week or two time in one month isnt exactly painting a broad picture of the facts on the ground, is it?

looking mid july, i'm seeing TONS of avalibility for as little as 84k miles RT from tpa, mia, dfw, jfk, and even lax to lhr ROUNDTRIP in business.

84k miles for a ticket that would be dirt cheap on american metal at $3000, or would easily go for $6k+ if you are booking last minute.

BTW, I found some dates for 99.5k miles RT for the lax to lhr on ba in october. but that was with with almost $600 cash copay. Not bad really when you consider it's non stop
AA does have flights for 57.5K miles one way in business on BA and connecting flights with coach on domestic part to BA.. The 180K applies to AA metal non-stops. UA is 60K on UA metal nonstop for most days in October.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Originally Posted by shd9
I wonder, after the fee structure change for award change/reinstatement, are there still any practical differences between sAAver/AAnytime and Web Specials? It used to be that sAAver/AAnytime could be changed for free (but cannot be reinstated without 150USD fee), while the Web Specials cannot be changed at all (but can be reinstated and rebooked for 150USD fee). With this change, all awards would the same change/reinstatement fees.
Web Specials usually only book on AA metal although I think I've seen exceptions starting to pop up on connecting itineraries.

Web Specials still cannot be changed they must be fully cancelled and re-booked, the difference would be particularly noticeable if your trying to get an agent to improve your routing or class last minute with partner award availability. The new language is confusing on this point though, we will have to see when https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ourawardtravel is updated for clarity.

Last edited by firemandan9; Apr 13, 2020 at 6:31 pm Reason: Unsure about web special partner offerings.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by DCAAA
Title should be April 13, 2020 not March. But year it all blends together these days.
they have to fix the other thread about changes that go through Sep 31 first!
txpenny likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.