Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Memories of the AA Boeing 757 - retired 24 April 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Memories of the AA Boeing 757 - retired 24 April 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Fraser
When the brown slabs were replaced with those 1st generation 737-800 seats?
Yep! Although not sure if they would be 1st generation 738 seats as those slim lines were 2nd generation I think from the original 738 LAA seats??
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrived ROW / Roswell, NM its final flight at approximately 1700 local time Friday, 24 April 2020.

Boeing 757-223(WL) (winglets)
Construction number: 32399
Line number: 1005
Engines: 2 Rolls Royce RB211
Fleet number: 5FS
Delivered March 2002
Stored BFM 21 Feb 2020
Retired ROS 24 April 2020
Final configuration C16-W52-Y108 “75L” in 2012

Photo Stefan Alexandru Planespotters.net taken 2 Jan 2019 at MIA
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by JDiver
And then there were none. Last AA 757-223 flight, N173AN, is in the air right now, headed to the boneyard.

Has AA said anything official about the 757 being WFS?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I just had a single flight on these birds. My only AA 757 flight was from PHL to PHX this December. Here are some photos from that trip;

This trip was on N204UW.

By the way, AA still shows 752 service for some DFW-MIA flights on Fall 2020; when do you think they would update their schedule? Would they cancel these flights or they would sub it with 737's or with A321's? Any opinions

My seat: 8A

The ancient IFE panel

The common monitors: There was a movie and a comedy show montiored during the flight
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I have some fond memories of the 757, particularly those flights to/from DFW-SNC. Twice 2011 & twice 2018 I flew.

Here are blurry photos, from the 2011 DFW-ANC flight. These were shot from the then 2011 vintage phone!

I recall that was an excellent flight, both service and food. The 2 FAs were super friendly. They told us where to see the sights by showing photos from one FA’s tablet. I missed this flight.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I’m glad AA finally retired these dinosaurs.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Fraser

Has AA said anything official about the 757 being WFS?
I seem to recall WFS in 2021, but it has been accelerated by the COVID-19 flights shutdown. Nothing in AA News, just in the blogs.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Very unfortunate. This was the only good narrowbody left in AA's mainline fleet. While the A321 is a slight step above the dreaded 737, I'm still not a fan as they take forever to board/deplane and they have no ability to board through 2L. Plus there's always that lingering feeling in the back of my mind on a hot summer day of whether or not the thing will actually make it into the air.

I've now flown on more 757s than any other AA aircraft and they will certainly be missed. Luckily DL still has a very sizable fleet of them and seems as though they're planning to keep them until a suitable replacement is developed, whenever one of our complacent aircraft manufacturers can get around to doing something other than continuing to update 50 and 30 year old aircraft.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:04 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I had my share of AA 757's on my MIA-SDQ flights (and even SDQ-SJU before AA left the route). My last flight on an AA 757 was LIH-LAX back in 2015. Will miss the power take-offs!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Had the best service ever (of any flight I've ever taken including those CX and JL) on an AA 757 with the Eisenhower seats flying BOS-DFW on a winter evening. Tray tables were lined with linens, the table was set, and the crew served each plate individually from the galley, much like an int'l Flagship F flight. The crew was fun to interact with and made us all feel very much "at home." I still regret not writing in about them to this day.

The Eisenhower F seats were extremely comfortable and conferred a "boss-like" feeling while sitting in them. I'll miss the very nice MCE seats at the front of Y on domestic flights, too.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Before the US Airways merger these were a trunk route workhorse - DFW and ORD seemed to get a lot of MD-80s and 737s from LGA/BOS, but MIA (and obviously the west coast destinations) were always 757s. Same for most of the ski destinations from DFW - many a fond holiday memory.

I've never had the experience of 2L boarding on AA - the domestic configured ones for the longest time had a pair of seats in front of 2L which I suppose would have made it awkward for boarding (which US, UA and DL configs omitted)..
I remember once at ORD the GA paging the passengers in 9BC (the seats right in front of 2L) and telling them we were going to board through 2L so they'd have to board last.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
<redacted by moderator>
Originally Posted by Herb687
What model 737 at what weight to what cruise altitude? Your post above is very general and often incorrect. I was referring to another poster who seemed to think "step climb" meant the reduction from takeoff thrust soon after departure. It doesn't.

Here's one recent example of a 737 that took off and went right up to FL380 in 20 minutes:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/.../KDEN/tracklog

And a 757 that leveled off at FL320 (about 12 minutes time to climb) before climbing to FL400 though it's entirely possible the level off at FL320 was an ATC restriction for traffic. They only stayed at FL320 for about 17 minutes:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/.../KSFO/tracklog
You posted a 737 climb; that's neat - the plane could have been half empty. A loaded 737 next gen doesn't have the power to climb all the way to cruise without step climbing. https://www.businessinsider.com/boei...cement-2016-11

Last edited by JY1024; May 6, 2020 at 10:59 pm Reason: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#gettingpersonal
Old May 6, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
They still have these shown for DFW-EGE flights next winter:

Old May 6, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade

It will be interesting to see what serves EGE. I guess it could be something like an A319 but that's a dramatic reduction in capacity, especially in F which is usually sold very well to EGE.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade

Yesterday, I saw a 737-MAX-8 in September 2020 on the BOS-DCA route. I pretty assume that they haven't updated the aircraft types for September and ahead.
By the way, DFW-MIA has multiple 757 flights every day during the NW21 season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.