Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Memories of the AA Boeing 757 - retired 24 April 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Memories of the AA Boeing 757 - retired 24 April 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The LAA FAs used to call it the slave ship. But that was before an Oasis A321. I like when AA took out the AVOD and left what looked like the dashboard of new car back in the 1950s and 1960s without a radio.
jcatman likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The LAA FAs used to call it the slave ship. But that was before an Oasis A321. I like when AA took out the AVOD and left what looked like the dashboard of new car back in the 1950s and 1960s without a radio.
Why did they remove it?
ML
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I remember the years immediately following 9/11 when AA was trying to kill jetBlue by flying 757s from JFK to many secondary cities in CA. Fares were ridiculously low and upgrades were easy for an EXP. My favorite was a JFK-SNA trip where I flew JFK-SNA on Saturday morning, had a 10 hour layover and took the SNA-JFK red eye flight back. I rented a car and drove up and down the Orange County coast. It was nothing too special, but I just remember it being a most agreeable way to spend a day. I am missing that right now.

A more recent - and less happy - 757 memory was a December MIA-STX flight where we had to make an immediate return and emergency landing at MIA when an FA smelled smoke in the cabin. All was fine, but we incurred a six hour delay and got to STX too late for me to connect to VIJ that same day. Cost me an expensive hotel stay on St. Thomas and an even more expensive charter flight to VIJ the next day.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
Why did they remove it?
ML
They put new full flat seats in. And no AVOD as part of that.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I haven't flown much on the AA 757 - never in NGBC or the current version. Do remember one flight with the Eisenhower seats around 2009 or 2010 from DFW-LAS where the FA got us good and liquored up - to the point where she was out of Jack and made us her choice of a random cocktail using what she had left. Good times.

It is an aesthetically pleasing aircraft compared to the B737 or A320 family. Sigh.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
They were great wokhorses. Flew them on AA a ton, NW as well. Reliable as hell too. Where Concorde was the European speedster, the 757 was the American hot rod equivalent.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by VFR
One of the more subtle things to notice is the lack of a stepped climb on take-off, like the 737 has to.
I don't know what you are saying here. The 757 whether with RB211 or PW2000 engines certainly has restrictions on how long takeoff thrust can be applied. In fact, because the 757 is so powerful, you can sometimes feel that initial power reduction (and corresponding buzzsaw noise of the RB211s) even more aggressively than in less powerful aircraft. There might be a narrower spread between TOGA and Max Continuous Thrust on the 757 but even if you were given an unrestricted climb the flight profile is certainly NOT to firewall the throttles and hold that all the way to cruise.

In fact, since this thread pertains to 757 memories I have a couple to share involving that first power reduction:

Departing SFO for DFW one windy, stormy morning we took off from 19R. Departing 19R, the 757 was airborne before crossing 28L/10R and we pulled power to cruise climb before crossing the Bayshore Freeway to start the required left turn to stay clear of terrain. Certainly the 757's robust climb performance was greatly aided by a very stout headwind that morning but it was still about the most impressive climb I've ever experienced in an airliner. Eyeballing it before we went into the fog, I would guess that we were already 3,000' AGL crossing the perimeter fence (aka Bayshore Freeway).

Then early one morning on a mechanical delay LAX-DFW redeye (I think it was an 0100 scheduled departure delayed to 0230 or something like that) I'm guessing a frustrated crew who wanted to get home to DFW before morning rush hour traffic decided to do a max thrust takeoff when reduced power would have worked just fine. Did they perhaps forget that LAX departures off of 24 and 25 have an initial climb restriction of 2,000' to protect the "Shoreline Route" VFR transition at 2,500? Who knows. All I know was a really impressive takeoff was VERY quickly followed by a very aggressive power reduction (again, that classic buzzsaw sound of the RB211s) and brief level off before resuming the climb shortly thereafter... I doubt there was any VFR traffic out there flightseeing at 2:30am but when you're flying a plane so powerful that you hit 2,000 before Tower has a chance to hand you off to SCT you certainly don't want an altitude bust.
JDiver and ExpatExp like this.

Last edited by Herb687; Apr 16, 2020 at 9:48 pm Reason: 3000 AGL Estimate
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Austin787
My last AA 757 flight was DFW-KEF, October 2018. Upgraded to the lie flat J seats - comfortable though less privacy than the widebody J seats. The dinner menu and flight attendant announcements were in English and Icelandic.
A common automated Icelandic announcement or an Islenska language speaker? If the latter then that's quite something.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Exp
Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this- I bought first class tix on an itinerary for August 10 that included a DFW-MIA leg (now AA2239) orignally on a 767, now changed to a 757. With all 757s presumably being retired by then, what are the chances I retain a lie-flat seat?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
A common automated Icelandic announcement or an Islenska language speaker? If the latter then that's quite something.
It was a flight attendant who speaks Islenska language. Very impressive.
JDiver and miamiflyer8 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I started flying AA a lot in 2003. Back then on most trunk routes your options were an MD-80 or a 757-200 and the 757 was the "better" of the two options. If you were up front you wanted an ex-TWA 757 with their padded cloth seats that were very comfortable. Even with the old brown leather seats it beat the MD-80...and you could watch a movie! During winter in Phoenix in 2004 and 2005 AA would at times be all 757s to ORD, DFW and briefly JFK.

I flew a grand total of 61 AA 757s with my last MCO-CLT on 2/21/17 on a LUS bird. My last legacy AA 757 was the day before on MIA-MCO. I'd say the best specific memory would be a 757-200 rocket takeoff and then immediate cutting back for noise abatement from SNA. It was like being on a roller coaster.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Austin787
It was a flight attendant who speaks Islenska language. Very impressive.
Cool!

UA flies seasonally a 752 EWR-ARN, menu was in Swedish but no FA to serve me in my native language.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
My PHL-SXM nonstop on a LAA 757 was cancelled. My reroute was PHL-MIA on a 757 😂🙄.

I, regardless, canceled the trip anyways. Just thought it was funny the Miami leg will clearly not be a 757. I am curious how PHL- secondary European cities will work out for 2021. Are there enough NEOs?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this- I bought first class tix on an itinerary for August 10 that included a DFW-MIA leg (now AA2239) orignally on a 767, now changed to a 757. With all 757s presumably being retired by then, what are the chances I retain a lie-flat seat?
Your odds are virtually nil. The 757s and 767s are gone. The 787s and 777s are mainly parked and are unlikely to be flying domestic routes. You're looking at a 99.99% chance at a 321 or 738.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:12 am
C46

Flight time of DFW-MIA is under 3 hours - I have problems understanding, why a lie-flat seat would be needed on such a short flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.