Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earn AA Award Miles, EQM, EQD, EQS Flying Alaska / AS Again (as of 1 Apr 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: With Alaska’s joining one world and changes in AAdvantage earnings and benefits as of 31 March 2021, the discussion has been closed and appropriate posts moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2036999-american-alaska-earnings-elite-benefits-31-mar-2021-a.html
: With Alaska’s joining one world and changes in AAdvantage earnings and benefits as of 31 March 2021, the discussion has been closed and appropriate posts moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2036999-american-alaska-earnings-elite-benefits-31-mar-2021-a.html[/quote]

American Airlines and Alaska Airlines are working together to become closer and more integrated partners with the addition of mileage accrual across both airlines. As Alaska Airlines prepares to join Oneworld in 2021, Alaska and American are expanding codeshare agreements and providing frequent flyers of both programs to once again earn and redeem miles. Starting April 1, 2020 all flights on either airline can earn miles (award and elite qualifying, as of an April 7 update to the AA web site) for the other airline’s frequent flyer program.

NOTE: Significant numbers of AAdvantage members are reporting excessive time lags or other difficulties with AA miles earned flying Alaska posting in an easy and timely manner.

AA and AS had previously agreed to cease all mileage and codeshare agreements as of March 1, 2020.

link to AA page

link to Travel Codex article

Print Wikipost

Earn AA Award Miles, EQM, EQD, EQS Flying Alaska / AS Again (as of 1 Apr 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
So the bottom line is if using AS out of your market area logistically works, and you are buying an F ticket, then AS all the way as you'll get whatever EQD you would have earned on a AA flight but higher with AS (x 0.35 x).

So a AA flight in F (using easy numbers) gets $100 EQD
Then AS flight in F gets $135 EQD.
Is my logic sound?
No -- AA's EQD is based on dollars spent, so $100 (pretax) = 100 EQD

But AS's EQD is a percentage of mileage flown. So regardless of whether you spend $100 or $500, a 2,000-mile flight will get you 700 EQD (in F) or 600 EQD (in P or I).

From DCA, I could fly DCA-SEA-ANC-SEA-DCA for ~$900 in actual spend. But it's 7,554 miles flown, x 0.30, gets me 2266 EQD. I'm sure there are better examples but I actually looked into doing this because I'm almost certainly going to be at an EQD deficit this year. (I wouldn't do it as a mileage run... but I would consider buying an F ticket on AS to visit Alaska this year instead of flying AA, because of the extra EQD.)
Spanish likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
No -- AA's EQD is based on dollars spent, so $100 (pretax) = 100 EQD

But AS's EQD is a percentage of mileage flown. So regardless of whether you spend $100 or $500, a 2,000-mile flight will get you 700 EQD (in F) or 600 EQD (in P or I).

From DCA, I could fly DCA-SEA-ANC-SEA-DCA for ~$900 in actual spend. But it's 7,554 miles flown, x 0.30, gets me 2266 EQD. I'm sure there are better examples but I actually looked into doing this because I'm almost certainly going to be at an EQD deficit this year. (I wouldn't do it as a mileage run... but I would consider buying an F ticket on AS to visit Alaska this year instead of flying AA, because of the extra EQD.)
got it. So the bottom line if you want to fly a domestic long haul in F your EQD's are going to probably be greater on AS.

Now where should I go....LOL

Do I really have to go via SEA to go anywhere? I think I know the answer to this already
renila likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
got it. So the bottom line if you want to fly a domestic long haul in F your EQD's are going to probably be greater on AS.

Do I really have to go via SEA to go anywhere? I think I know the answer to this already
Of course not---you can go via PDX!!
renila and enviroian like this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Often I find that SEA is quite conveniently located when it comes to this...

But AS's EQD is a percentage of mileage flown.
Spanish likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course not---you can go via PDX!!
I can always fly to HNL dfw-pdx-hnl so that would be a huge EQD winner with a paid F ticket.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 6:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I can always fly to HNL dfw-pdx-hnl so that would be a huge EQD winner with a paid F ticket.
I don't know about DFW (or DAL), but from AUS AS has flights to SAN, LAX, SJC, SFO, PDX, and SEA.

If you are a member of Costco, they are currently selling AS gift cards ($500 value for $450).
Old Feb 4, 2021, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

You have so many options since AS' rev mgmt teams seems to be more lost than AA's and that's saying something!
AS sometimes offers 30% off coupons... One of my direct reports who is only PLT got FLL LAX for $132 one-way in "I" class which is equivalent to $703 EQD since AA uses a distance and booking class formula for AS flights
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
You have so many options since AS' rev mgmt teams seems to be more lost than AA's and that's saying something!
AS sometimes offers 30% off coupons... One of my direct reports who is only PLT got FLL LAX for $132 one-way in "I" class which is equivalent to $703 EQD since AA uses a distance and booking class formula for AS flights
Ooh, FLL looks like a good one, even without a sale, FLL-LAX looks to be $249 normally (for 703 EQD), and FLL-SEA is $279 (for 815 EQD) -- those are pretty good multiples without having to trudge up to ANC.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ooh, FLL looks like a good one, even without a sale, FLL-LAX looks to be $249 normally (for 703 EQD), and FLL-SEA is $279 (for 815 EQD) -- those are pretty good multiples without having to trudge up to ANC.
Ah...forgot about Anchorage. I don't even know if AA flies no stop to anc from dfw. I'll check. That being said like you noted EQD is based on miles so a F ticket on AS dfw-sea-anc should be a whopper of EQD credited to my AA account.

I might want to check and see if AK is open first.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Ah...forgot about Anchorage. I don't even know if AA flies no stop to anc from dfw. I'll check. That being said like you noted EQD is based on miles so a F ticket on AS dfw-sea-anc should be a whopper of EQD credited to my AA account.

I might want to check and see if AK is open first.
Side note, did AA ever actually fly 777s or 787s to ANC? The description of PE states that offerings will be different for Hawaii (DFW-HNL/OGG) and Alaska flights but I don't recall ever seeing a flight that had PE to Alaska.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by fly747first
Side note, did AA ever actually fly 777s or 787s to ANC? The description of PE states that offerings will be different for Hawaii (DFW-HNL/OGG) and Alaska flights but I don't recall ever seeing a flight that had PE to Alaska.
Apparently yes:
Then, from Jun. 6 to Sept. 3, 2019, a Boeing 787-8 will operate between DFW and Anchorage:

AA 399 — Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 3:25pm Departure ⇒ Anchorage (ANC) 7:12pm Arrival
AA 399 — Anchorage (ANC) 8:40pm Departure ⇒ Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 6:00am Arrival (+1 day)
Not sure if the 788 had premium economy at the time, but it would have been in the recent-enough past that mentioning ANC makes sense when announcing PE.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just used the AA app to check out flights to ANC. All flights of course were on AS metal via Seattle. What I found interesting that the coach price was higher than the AS website and there were no F seats available to purchase. Can AA not sell F seats on AS?

the weekend I’m looking at is March 12tb.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess I’ll need to wait to book that ANC flight on AS!

Hello! American Airlines is currently not offering Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) or Miles (EQM) for flights on Alaska Airlines. Hopefully once Alaska joins OneWorld this will change. In the meantime, to earn EQD and EQM the airline must be sold with an AA flight number.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Guess I’ll need to wait to book that ANC flight on AS!

Hello! American Airlines is currently not offering Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) or Miles (EQM) for flights on Alaska Airlines. Hopefully once Alaska joins OneWorld this will change. In the meantime, to earn EQD and EQM the airline must be sold with an AA flight number.
What makes you say that? Did you read the wiki at the top of this thread and follow the link to AA’s AAdvantage earning from AS flights page, which both make clear that AS flights earn AAdvantage RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs (not to mention your post from a day or two ago)?
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill
What makes you say that? Did you read the wiki at the top of this thread and follow the link to AA’s AAdvantage earning from AS flights page, which both make clear that AS flights earn AAdvantage RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs (not to mention your post from a day or two ago)?
I did. That’s why I’m confused by AA’s response. Are they off their rocker?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.