Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earn AA Award Miles, EQM, EQD, EQS Flying Alaska / AS Again (as of 1 Apr 2020)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 21, 10:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
American Airlines and Alaska Airlines are working together to become closer and more integrated partners with the addition of mileage accrual across both airlines. As Alaska Airlines prepares to join Oneworld in 2021, Alaska and American are expanding codeshare agreements and providing frequent flyers of both programs to once again earn and redeem miles. Starting April 1, 2020 all flights on either airline can earn miles (award and elite qualifying, as of an April 7 update to the AA web site) for the other airline’s frequent flyer program.

NOTE: Significant numbers of AAdvantage members are reporting excessive time lags or other difficulties with AA miles earned flying Alaska posting in an easy and timely manner.

AA and AS had previously agreed to cease all mileage and codeshare agreements as of March 1, 2020.

link to AA page

link to Travel Codex article

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 1, 20, 10:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Mutual Mileage Accrual on All Alaska and American Flights — link

UPDATED 7 APR

By Rocky Horan, Travel Codes, April 1, 2020

American Airlines and Alaska Airlines are working together to become closer and more integrated partners with the addition of mileage accrual across both airlines. As Alaska Airlines prepares to join Oneworld in 2021, Alaska and American are expanding codeshare agreements and providing frequent flyers of both programs to once again earn and redeem miles. Starting April 1, 2020 all flights on either airline can earn (award) miles for the other airline’s frequent flyer program.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 14, 20 at 10:45 am
Old Apr 2, 20, 1:22 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
The inability to earn EQM and EQD/S is a real kick between the legs. Guess we just have to wait some more. . . .
rvolkcpa likes this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
I edited the wiki to clarify the somewhat bizarre point that AAdvantage miles earned on AS flights do not earn EQMs, but Mileage Plan miles earned on AA flights do earn EQMs.

I hope AA and AS have reciprocal EQM earning and at least some reciprocal benefits before AS fully joins oneworld, although it's lost some of the urgency assuming (big assumption) that COVID-19 doesn't appreciably delay AS's oneworld entry.
JDiver and rvolkcpa like this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 10:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
I edited the wiki to clarify the somewhat bizarre point that AAdvantage miles earned on AS flights do not earn EQMs, but Mileage Plan miles earned on AA flights do earn EQMs.

I hope AA and AS have reciprocal EQM earning and at least some reciprocal benefits before AS fully joins oneworld, although it's lost some of the urgency assuming (big assumption) that COVID-19 doesn't appreciably delay AS's oneworld entry.
Thank you. I omitted that because I wasn’t sure it would be useful to AA flyers, but given the interest and potential loyalty switching that might occur with the oneworld join. I should have included it.
Old Apr 7, 20, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium

Well, it looks like there’s now a chart posted indicating reciprocal EQ earning. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp

JDiver, GTITAN and ashill like this.
Old Apr 7, 20, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I like rate of EQD earn on the AS F discounted fares.

Safe Travels
Spanish likes this.
Old Apr 7, 20, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Grass is much greener on the other side:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA
<broken img link; please feel free to repost>

With LT PLT status on AA, current travel patterns easily qualifying for MVPG, adding the ability to earn AS miles on AA (when AS is not a viable option) will put MPVG75k in range - not to mention that AS miles are generally more valuable than AA - at least for my travel.

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 7, 20 at 8:39 pm Reason: redacted broken img tag
Old Apr 7, 20, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
Grass is much greener on the other side:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA

With LT PLT status on AA, current travel patterns easily qualifying for MVPG, adding the ability to earn AS miles on AA (when AS is not a viable option) will put MPVG75k in range - not to mention that AS miles are generally more valuable than AA - at least for my travel.

The charts look pretty similar. In Mileage Plan, you earn 25%-200% RDMs and 25%-200% EQMs for AA flights. In AAdvantage, you earn 25%-175% RDMs and 50%-150% EQMs (and 5%-35% EQDs) for AS flights. The split among fare classes is pretty similar. Mileage Plan does reward full fare F and J AA tickets a bit more than AAdvantage do the AS equivalents (while discount business and first fares earn 150% in both programs), but AAdvantage gives better EQM earning on cheap coach cares. So the grass is a bit greener in Mileage Plan in specific cases (except for the lack of EQDs, but that's a function of the programs) on the two award charts, but (unsurprisingly) they're pretty similar.
Old Apr 8, 20, 10:13 am

The charts look pretty similar. In Mileage Plan, you earn 25%-200% RDMs and 25%-200% EQMs for AA flights. In AAdvantage, you earn 25%-175% RDMs and 50%-150% EQMs (and 5%-35% EQDs) for AS flights. The split among fare classes is pretty similar. Mileage Plan does reward full fare F and J AA tickets a bit more than AAdvantage do the AS equivalents (while discount business and first fares earn 150% in both programs), but AAdvantage gives better EQM earning on cheap coach cares. So the grass is a bit greener in Mileage Plan in specific cases (except for the lack of EQDs, but that's a function of the programs) on the two award charts, but (unsurprisingly) they're pretty similar.
No EQD requirement, lower EQM thresholds, EQM based on actual miles flown for AS --> MUCH easier to earn status.
Old Apr 8, 20, 12:14 pm

No EQD requirement, lower EQM thresholds, EQM based on actual miles flown for AS --> MUCH easier to earn status.
Huh? The EQM thresholds are almost identical (assuming any partner flights are involved, in which case the AS thresholds are 25k, 50k, and 90k; only difference is EXP is slightly higher and there's no PPro equivalent), and the EQM is based on miles flown (with multipliers from 0.25-3.0 for partner flights and premium cabins) in both cases. In Mileage Plan, you earn 25% EQMs for cheapest (non-basic) economy tickets on AA. In AAdvantage, you earn 50% EQMs for cheapest (non-basic) economy tickets on AS.

In both programs, you earn 100% EQMs for all (non-basic) economy fares on the native airline (AA flights for AAdvantage; AS flights for Mileage Plan).

So sure, the major difference between the programs (EQD) is there, but that was true before the publication of the AS/AAdvantage chart. So where does your comment that the grass is greener because of that chart come from?
Old Apr 8, 20, 4:12 pm

So where does your comment that the grass is greener because of that chart come from?
Again possible to use AA flights to earn status on AS, where the qualifications are lower, easier to meet - particularly those on lower priced fares. Elite bonuses are also more generous for those unable to qualify for EP, CK.
Old Apr 9, 20, 12:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Again possible to use AA flights to earn status on AS, where the qualifications are lower, easier to meet - particularly those on lower priced fares. Elite bonuses are also more generous for those unable to qualify for EP, CK.
Not sure where you are seeing that.

In order to earn the lowest Alaska elite tier flying cheap coach tickets on American (but not saver, which earns nada), you need to fly 100,000 actual miles on AA. Cheap AS coach tickets on AA earn 25% EQM and the lower thresholds for reaching AS status only apply if you earn them exclusively on AS-coded flying. Otherwise its 25k/50k/90k.
Old Apr 9, 20, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Not sure where you are seeing that.

In order to earn the lowest Alaska elite tier flying cheap coach tickets on American (but not saver, which earns nada), you need to fly 100,000 actual miles on AA. Cheap AS coach tickets on AA earn 25% EQM and the lower thresholds for reaching AS status only apply if you earn them exclusively on AS-coded flying. Otherwise its 25k/50k/90k.
AS has no EQD requirement; 100k is for the cheapest fare buckets, other discounted economy fares earn 50 - 75% EQM.
Old Apr 9, 20, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
It's interesting to note that only "Horizon Air" flights are listed for eligible affiliate flights but SkyWest is not. I'm not aware of Horizon Air flights marketed individually that this would be the case.
Old Apr 9, 20, 11:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
AS has no EQD requirement; 100k is for the cheapest fare buckets, other discounted economy fares earn 50 - 75% EQM.
The “cheapest fare buckets don’t qualify for AS miles or elite earning. Most people are flying on the cheap coach fares and will earn 25%.

I am AS elite but the AS network works for me (thankfully - it’s service and quality are miles ahead of AA). Trying to earn status on AS when you mostly fly AA will be a waste - no upgrades and horrendous EQM earning.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: