Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Coronavirus slowdown accelerates 2020-21 fleet retirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
In response to the SARS-CoV-2 novel Coronavirus pandemic economic slowdown and resultant decrease in travel, American Airlines is retiring 156 aircraft by removing four different models and some older 737 NG aircraft:

Airbus A330-300 (all 9 to be retired 2020)
Boeing 737-800 (76 older airframes)
Boeing 757-200 (remaining 34 to be retired by end of summer 2021 season, but last went to ROW in April)
Boeing 767-300 (last one of 17 in service this year retired to ROW / Roswell, NM on 31 March 2020)
Bombardier CRJ200 (19 to be retired)
Embraer E190 (20 to be retired during 2020)

Most of these are already parked.

Mos

https://www-fool-com.cdn.ampproject....ccelerate.aspx

and

Newsroom - A fond farewell to five fantastic fleets - American Airlines Group, Inc.

American has officially retired the Embraer E190 and Boeing 767 fleets, which were originally scheduled to retire by the end of 2020. The airline has also accelerated the retirement of its Boeing 757s and Airbus A330-300s. Additionally, American is retiring 19 Bombardier CRJ200 aircraft operated by PSA Airlines.
See Memories of the AA Boeing 757 - retired 24 April 2020

and

Memories of the Boeing 767-300, retired 31 Mar 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Coronavirus slowdown accelerates 2020-21 fleet retirements

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:17 pm

I have a flight to Lima scheduled for October. I was originally scheduled through MIA on a 767. Today I noticed the flight changed to an A321. I also noticed that the flight through DFW is now on a 787-800 instead of a 757. I was able to call and they changed me to the 787 through DFW with no problem due to aircraft change.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage
This confirms what we already know, but I thought I would post anyway. These fleet types aren't getting anything like the send-off the MD-80 had.

Newsroom - A fond farewell to five fantastic fleets - American Airlines Group, Inc.

American has officially retired the Embraer E190 and Boeing 767 fleets, which were originally scheduled to retire by the end of 2020. The airline has also accelerated the retirement of its Boeing 757s and Airbus A330-300s. Additionally, American is retiring 19 Bombardier CRJ200 aircraft operated by PSA Airlines.
Interesting but not surprising to see the CR2s gone too. While DL and UA still have over 100 of these aircraft in their fleets, AA will have none (though I do believe a few SkyWest-branded ones may still operate AA flights).
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arc727
This confirms what we already know, but I thought I would post anyway. These fleet types aren't getting anything like the send-off the MD-80 had.

Interesting but not surprising to see the CR2s gone too. While DL and UA still have over 100 of these aircraft in their fleets, AA will have none (though I do believe a few SkyWest-branded ones may still operate AA flights).
do i understand it correct and AA2126 BOS-LGA (mid July) will therefore get an equipment change?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Nephoi
do i understand it correct and AA2126 BOS-LGA (mid July) will therefore get an equipment change?
Yes. I'd bet on an EMB-175 or possibly an A-319
Old May 1, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Yes. I'd bet on an EMB-175 or possibly an A-319
i think we will know when the updates are in the system. so maybe this Sunday..
Old May 4, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist

I think these cumulative changes mean that all widebodies will now have premium economy.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:14 am

A332s are now stored until at least 2022 per JonNYC:
Old May 6, 2020, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
A332s are now stored until at least 2022
If true, that's a shame. After making countless transatlantic trips on these birds, I will surely miss them.

I always found the A332s to be quiet and comfortable, with a much preferable seating arrangement in coach than the cramped 777s. And they are hardly old -- it seems like only yesterday that they were being delivered brand new to US Airways. They were always a great fit for the thinner European routes.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by lowfareair
A332s are now stored until at least 2022
WIth the A333s retiring, that leaves just the 15 A332s. Probably too small for AA to justify operating that fleet with international air travel way down.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Going to miss the A332 MCE A/B/G/H seats, very comfortable way to transatlantic coach.
aj_potc likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Austin787
WIth the A333s retiring, that leaves just the 15 A332s. Probably too small for AA to justify operating that fleet with international air travel way down.
15 is not too small of a sub fleet for an airline like AA. They operated a similar size A300 fleet for a long time. As long as the aircraft has a niche in the network, it can operate profitably. A333 was on the way out anyway and AA was going to keep A332 for awhile before the downturn so the withdraw from service has nothing to do with the fleet size and everything to do with lack of utilization.

A332 is mainly used for international service (trans Atlantic to be specific) but they are being stored because there is no alternate use... The type does not have enough cargo room to generate revenue to make up the loss of people upstairs like 777, and it is not as flexible/efficient as 787 to be able to use on trans Pacific routes with reduced load/demand.
Old May 8, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat
15 is not too small of a sub fleet for an airline like AA. They operated a similar size A300 fleet for a long time. As long as the aircraft has a niche in the network, it can operate profitably. A333 was on the way out anyway and AA was going to keep A332 for awhile before the downturn so the withdraw from service has nothing to do with the fleet size and everything to do with lack of utilization.

A332 is mainly used for international service (trans Atlantic to be specific) but they are being stored because there is no alternate use... The type does not have enough cargo room to generate revenue to make up the loss of people upstairs like 777, and it is not as flexible/efficient as 787 to be able to use on trans Pacific routes with reduced load/demand.
The A300 fleet was actually about 35 most of the time. AA used to really avoid subfleets in general, something that has obviously change quite a bit. The A300 was actually a workhorse for AA’s TATL operations for a brief period but was really a staple to the Caribbean and Latin America. It’s unfortunate that AA has a tendency to let the upkeep of aircraft go downhill as they get towards the end of their left. Near the end AA’s A300 were an absolute mess. Filthy and falling apart inside, always having mechanical problems. Very similar to the DC-10s near the end and even the 767s more recently.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by bzcat
15 is not too small of a sub fleet for an airline like AA. They operated a similar size A300 fleet for a long time. As long as the aircraft has a niche in the network, it can operate profitably....
Originally Posted by cmd320
The A300 fleet was actually about 35 most of the time. AA used to really avoid subfleets in general, something that has obviously change quite a bit....
Yea, The A300 had a niche at AA which justified the (then) policy of no sub-fleets.
The "niche" they had were extremely favorable lease rates. If I remember correctly, those leases were directly from Airbus had a 30 day "no questions asked" walk-away clause (perhaps that was only during the initial lease period ??).
Either way, it isn't exactly a good comparison to say AA operated the "A300 fleet for a long time" (versus how long current aircraft sub-fleets operate), nor the statement that "15 is not too small of a sub fleet for an airline like AA".
The lease terms drove a bias towards keeping the A300s.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Looks like the A332s are done.

American Airlines retires its last Airbus A330, goes all-Boeing for wide-body jets
The changes to American Airlines fleet continue as the coronavirus pandemic resets flying.

The Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier has retired its 15 Airbus A330-200s, officially making it an all-Boeing wide-body operator of 777s and 787s, American said Thursday. The A330s have been in long-term storage since May.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Predictable, but sad. The A332s were still one of my favorite AA frames.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.