Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Coronavirus slowdown accelerates 2020-21 fleet retirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
In response to the SARS-CoV-2 novel Coronavirus pandemic economic slowdown and resultant decrease in travel, American Airlines is retiring 156 aircraft by removing four different models and some older 737 NG aircraft:

Airbus A330-300 (all 9 to be retired 2020)
Boeing 737-800 (76 older airframes)
Boeing 757-200 (remaining 34 to be retired by end of summer 2021 season, but last went to ROW in April)
Boeing 767-300 (last one of 17 in service this year retired to ROW / Roswell, NM on 31 March 2020)
Bombardier CRJ200 (19 to be retired)
Embraer E190 (20 to be retired during 2020)

Most of these are already parked.

Mos

https://www-fool-com.cdn.ampproject....ccelerate.aspx

and

Newsroom - A fond farewell to five fantastic fleets - American Airlines Group, Inc.

American has officially retired the Embraer E190 and Boeing 767 fleets, which were originally scheduled to retire by the end of 2020. The airline has also accelerated the retirement of its Boeing 757s and Airbus A330-300s. Additionally, American is retiring 19 Bombardier CRJ200 aircraft operated by PSA Airlines.
See Memories of the AA Boeing 757 - retired 24 April 2020

and

Memories of the Boeing 767-300, retired 31 Mar 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Coronavirus slowdown accelerates 2020-21 fleet retirements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro
AA to retire 767s in May of 2020 (757 now by fall of 2021)

As reported at OMAAT: https://onemileatatime.com/american-...m=BoardingArea

Well it was always coming soon but now it is basically here, the remaining 767-300 fleet will be retired in just a couple of months, May 2020, according to reporting today.

Flying out of Miami I have always enjoyed finding myself on this plane domestically, as old and tired as it is, the 2-3-2 coach was comfortable, I liked the MCE mini cabin, and the Vantage business class seats were a nice treat for a 3 hour flight to JFK and could regularly be had as an affordable luxury. The ultra large 11 foot high winglets are also a sight to behold from out or inside the aircraft. The crews I have had also seem to be fond of the plane and happy to be on it.

It certainly was less than an optimal aircraft today for long haul travel, especially when UA and DL are pouring money into making some examples of their 767 very modern. Heck the last flight I took on it on domestic first my seat was broken and wouldn't fully recline, so I am not unwilling to admit they are ready to leave. I am sure many (most) will be glad to see them go, but I would like to consider being on a retirement flight if they do something like they did with the Mad Dog. Considering the circumstances though it is likely they will just have the first of the widebody twinjets sent off to the desert without ceremony to become freighters.

Any other AA 767 fans out there? You are even welcome to comment if you will be glad to see them go.

As reported at OMAAT: https://onemileatatime.com/american-...m=BoardingArea

Well it was always coming soon but now it is basically here, the remaining 767-300 fleet will be retired in just a couple of months, May 2020, according to reporting today.

Flying out of Miami I have always enjoyed finding myself on this plane domestically, as old and tired as it is, the 2-3-2 coach was comfortable, I liked the MCE mini cabin, and the Vantage business class seats were a nice treat for a 3 hour flight to JFK and could regularly be had as an affordable luxury. The ultra large 11 foot high winglets are also a sight to behold from out or inside the aircraft. The crews I have had also seem to be fond of the plane and happy to be on it.

It certainly was less than an optimal aircraft today for long haul travel, especially when UA and DL are pouring money into making some examples of their 767 very modern. Heck the last flight I took on it on domestic first my seat was broken and wouldn't fully recline, so I am not unwilling to admit they are ready to leave. I am sure many (most) will be glad to see them go, but I would like to consider being on a retirement flight if they do something like they did with the Mad Dog. Considering the circumstances though it is likely they will just have the first of the widebody twinjets sent off to the desert without ceremony to become freighters.

Any other AA 767 fans out there? You are even welcome to comment if you will be glad to see them go.

Last edited by JDiver; May 2, 2020 at 9:19 am Reason: Restore original post title, add illustrations from AA News
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
I've flown many a segment on these aircraft and enjoyed them. Certainly better and more efficient equipment out there today but I for one will miss them.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:24 am
Suspended

Recently flew PHL - BUD up front and while I loved that it was a direct flight, the seat was fine enough and the tablet was ok, it is dated especially for long hauls.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
It's intersting they're doing this at a time that oil is going way down in price.
onlyquestions and joeyE like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
We flew the 767 for many years on the DFW-Hawaii-DFW non-stops. First with the sleeper recliners, then the NGBC angled lie flat, and finally the new lie flat. For work, it was sometimes scheduled LAX-DFW. I always tried to pick it. And 757, many miles on that bird. The old beige leather up front. Fond memories of both these classic aircraft. End of an era.
JB OmahAA, bhomburg and elc2414 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by donotblink
It's intersting they're doing this at a time that oil is going way down in price.
they have too much capacity. 757/767 are the oldest, least fuel efficient, and most maintenance intensive aircraft in the fleet. it makes perfect sense why they are retiring them early.
BearX220, JDiver and etiene like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I always tried to pick the 767 if it was an option on my flights. I flew on the 767 several times on DFW-SFO-DFW. Always appreciated the 2-3-2 config in Y, and also enjoyed upgrades into the now retired NGBC seats.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If you had to be in Y it was one of the better planes. I think AA is using this to cut some capacity they really don't need even after this virus is all said and done. Some of the LAA 757s were around the same age as many of the 772s. I assume the retirement of the 757s is based upon the Max returning.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
they have too much capacity. 757/767 are the oldest, least fuel efficient, and most maintenance intensive aircraft in the fleet. it makes perfect sense why they are retiring them early.
This is what I don't get.....I see CV as a 2-3-month (off the charts) dip, and pent-up travel demand will return over the summer, so I'd keep these waiting on the bench. I suppose they forecast demand to not return until much later.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Y configuration is great, only ~15% middle seats, probably the lowest out there. Though AA let the Y cabins get quite long in the tooth.
The problem in J is that the cabin width is too narrow to be competitive with most of today's J products unless you go down to some type of 1-1-1 config, which I think UA is doing (?), but DL is not - they're just putting some makeup on it.

I do have some fond memories of the 3-class 767-300ERs circa 2000, with coffin flat beds up front, but also the caviar service, and the custom salad served seat-side, usually with lobster tail ex-JFK.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The Y configuration is great, only ~15% middle seats, probably the lowest out there. Though AA let the Y cabins get quite long in the tooth.
The problem in J is that the cabin width is too narrow to be competitive with most of today's J products unless you go down to some type of 1-1-1 config, which I think UA is doing (?), but DL is not - they're just putting some makeup on it.

I do have some fond memories of the 3-class 767-300ERs circa 2000, with coffin flat beds up front, but also the caviar service, and the custom salad served seat-side, usually with lobster tail ex-JFK.
You are correct UA is installing their Polaris product in a 1-1-1 configuration, Delta is installing a modified and updated Vantage seat (1-2-1) with some improved finishes, more privacy partitions, and better IFE. Both added a true PE cabin as well in 2-2-2 which is funny since that goes back full circle to most original business class configurations that were available when the plane came out.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:21 am

I wonder what these will be replaced with on long haul routes. I have a 767 booking in September from MAN (Manchester, UK) to PHL. I’m not thrilled with the prospect of that being switched to a 757 service.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by joeyE
This is what I don't get.....I see CV as a 2-3-month (off the charts) dip, and pent-up travel demand will return over the summer, so I'd keep these waiting on the bench. I suppose they forecast demand to not return until much later.
Along with this comment, also the MAX issue as well, with the grounding and once approved, there will still be some reluctance to fly on it. People will be avoiding the max.

Last edited by arollins; Mar 13, 2020 at 8:37 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
I wonder what these will be replaced with on long haul routes. I have a 767 booking in September from MAN (Manchester, UK) to PHL. I’m not thrilled with the prospect of that being switched to a 757 service.
Well for now AA is keeping their A330-300's in service at PHL which they were originally intending to retire soon, as I understand it, so perhaps that is what you will end up on should there be sufficient demand.

In Miami in particular that is a big question as the only other widebody fleet operated out of MIA is the 772/77W, and the 767 served a lot of Latin America routes and drove a lot of onward connecting travel. So will AA start stationing some 787s here in S FL, especially since they are taking more new 788 deliveries, or move even more 777's to MIA?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
I too have been wondering the same for a while now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.