Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Crazy redemption amounts for rebooked mileage trip to Rome

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy redemption amounts for rebooked mileage trip to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Question Crazy redemption amounts for rebooked mileage trip to Rome

Hello all, I'm much more of a lurker than commenter but I thought my experience yesterday with AA was interesting. I'm ExecPlat. I had a roundtrip booking in business from ORD-FCO using AAnytime miles (110,000 each way) scheduled to leave March 31 and return April 5. The meeting I was attending was obviously canceled (actually postponed until early September) and my destination was clearly one of the coronavirus destinations. All I wanted to do was rebook for the new September dates and since I was already using AAnytime miles I did not think there would be a problem. Well, American wanted 400,000 miles each way! The new dates had wide open availability in business. When I asked where on the website I could find a chart or information where a redemption to Europe from North America would cost 400K each way the agent was stumped, and surprised at the mileage quote. Upon further examination of the redemption webpage later on, there is some extremely vague language about certain destinations costing more or a different amount of miles but boy is that shady...

Anyway, I asked to be escalated. The agent pushed back, nicely--she seemed to be a "better agent" so I didn't want to HUCA, and after a bit of polite back and forth and two lengthy holds (20 min each) I was able to get the new dates at the 110,000 redemption rate--as an "extraordinary exception" . They did have to refund the tax/fee and re-charge the fee but that was a wash.

Anyone else have challenges rescheduling mileage redemption tickets (especially in business/first) and running into super jacked up mileage requirements?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yes, when AA fully implemented dynamic award pricing along came with it the insane AAnytime award rates that you're seeing. I'd consider yourself extremely lucky that an agent was able to give you an exception.

Dynamic AAdvantage Award / Drastically High Pricing (master thread)
miles4CDG and CMTinPHL like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
They really need to rename AAnytime awards.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
They really need to rename AAnytime awards.
GrabYourAAnkles Awards.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by enviroian
GrabYourAAnkles Awards.
grin and beAAr it...
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Why isn't this rebooking just covered under the Italy travel waiver? It seems pretty straightforward that you can rebook for any date within 1 yr of issue, no language exempting award tickets. Was Sept >1yr from original ticket issue?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by brenc3
Why isn't this rebooking just covered under the Italy travel waiver? It seems pretty straightforward that you can rebook for any date within 1 yr of issue, no language exempting award tickets. Was Sept >1yr from original ticket issue?
Maybe they finally figured that out, and then presented it as an "extraordinary exception".
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
GrabYourAAnkles Awards.
Pick up the soAAp while your at it..
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I do consider myself pretty lucky. I'm a pretty low key Exec Plat, choosing my battles on when to make a fuss carefully--and there have been a lot of situations the last year or 2 to pick from. I think I got a special consideration because I'm not a pain, plus, honestly I had a good vibe with the agent.

As for the coronavirus policy, it only applies for rebooking to mid/later June, not further into the year.

My takeaway is that award travel dates are not changeable without penalty. You could be subjected to crazy redemption rates by changing your original dates.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by brenc3
The language is quite clear on the fact that “difference in fare may apply”, which is what this higher mileage redemption would fall under.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.