Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DCA-JFK service reduction affected my trip

DCA-JFK service reduction affected my trip

Old Feb 12, 20, 8:04 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Washington, DC 20016
Programs: AA Gold; US silver
Posts: 87
DCA-JFK service reduction affected my trip

I just got an email from FinnAir that the DCA-JFK segment of my trip on AA (DCA-JFK-HEL-TYO) has been cancelled. Looking at the schedule, there are now only two AA morning flights on my departure date, meaning a way too long layover. This is the second time this has happened to me, first was in November TYO-JFK-DCA on JL, final segment cancelled, no late afternoon or evening flights between JFK and WAS. How likely is it that some service might be rescheduled for early to mid afternoon, or is AA pretty much eliminating that route? Obviously, lots of connections to international destinations through JFK on partner airlines, don't understand why this is going on. Thanks, would like some feedback before I call FinnAir to reschedule.
FromDC is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:12 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,855
Originally Posted by FromDC View Post
I just got an email from FinnAir that the DCA-JFK segment of my trip on AA (DCA-JFK-HEL-TYO) has been cancelled. Looking at the schedule, there are now only two AA morning flights on my departure date, meaning a way too long layover. This is the second time this has happened to me, first was in November TYO-JFK-DCA on JL, final segment cancelled, no late afternoon or evening flights between JFK and WAS. How likely is it that some service might be rescheduled for early to mid afternoon, or is AA pretty much eliminating that route? Obviously, lots of connections to international destinations through JFK on partner airlines, don't understand why this is going on. Thanks, would like some feedback before I call FinnAir to reschedule.
AA has made of tons of reductions with JFK service over the past year, some of it has to do with runway construction and some has to do with AA's general pull down of JFK.

When is your flight? If it's next month, then it's probably not likely you will see any additional additions before then. But if it's not till later in the year, then always a chance AA could add some frequencies back.

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:12 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,542
I agree that the flight timings on this route make no sense and I'm not sure what purpose AA thinks they serve. Unfortunately, AA has been steadily retrenching on this route, so I wouldn't count on them adding any flights back. You're stuck either transferring from the shuttle from LGA, buying a separate ticket on DL, or taking Amtrak to Penn Station and then heading ot JFK from there. Personally, I'd probably just buy a ticket on DL.

Note that there's a somewhat later flight from BWI, but only by a couple of hours.
jordyn is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:18 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cote d'Ivoire
Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Posts: 3,115
How long is too long of a layover? To me, preferable to having to sprint to the next gate.
Abidjan is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:23 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Washington, DC 20016
Programs: AA Gold; US silver
Posts: 87
Thanks for the quick replies. My flight is in mid-May. Last time I just booked the Delta flight back but we ended up having to change the itinerary because of a family emergency so I ended up having to reschedule the return trip anyway.

I think an option might be a schedule change: DCA-ORD-HEL-TYO. The times for this set of flights are almost identical, 2 hour layover in ORD so I think this might be a better alternative. I don't normally make connections in ORD but this seems reasonable for mid May. We're doing a one night layover in HEL, if that makes a difference, and there's a daily flight schedule ORD-HEL-TYO

Thanks again
FromDC is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:27 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Washington, DC 20016
Programs: AA Gold; US silver
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by Abidjan View Post
How long is too long of a layover? To me, preferable to having to sprint to the next gate.
8 hour layover in JFK if they want to reroute my on the "last" flight of the day at 10am....that's why it's do hard to understand this schedule change
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
FromDC is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:04 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AAdvantage PP
Posts: 12,960
Schedule changes are for a variety of reasons some of which may or may not make sense (at least to the traveler). I'd ask for your choice of backtracking to ORD and going direct from there. I'd prefer that over a land transfer in NYC or the risk of 2 different itineraries using DL to get to JFK.
Auto Enthusiast and wrp96 like this.
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:19 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,928
I dislike short connections to JFK international because the micro hops from DCA (and IAD) are the first to cancel or be delayed when the wind shifts, it rains or anything else happens. On the other hand, long connections make long-haul travel too long. My preferred alternative is train to NYP followed by either train to JFK or Uber.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:20 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 6,924
Runway construction has been complete for months so AA canít use this excuse anymore.
cmx likes this.
AANYC1981 is online now  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:27 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: AUS
Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Posts: 5,939
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
Schedule changes are for a variety of reasons some of which may or may not make sense (at least to the traveler). I'd ask for your choice of backtracking to ORD and going direct from there. I'd prefer that over a land transfer in NYC or the risk of 2 different itineraries using DL to get to JFK.
I agree but I'd recommend a longer layover in ORD. MCT from AA to AY is 1:15, so you're in theory OK but a bit of weather on the east coast or in ORD will make that seem very short. In addition, you'll need to make the transfer from terminal 3 to terminal 5, which you can do via an airside bus now. DCA-ORD flights are fairly frequent so you should be able to find something with more breathing room but well under the 8 hours you're looking at in JFK.
Stripe is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:30 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,854
Originally Posted by FromDC View Post
8 hour layover in JFK if they want to reroute my on the "last" flight of the day at 10am....that's why it's do hard to understand this schedule change
Maybe AA found a better use of the later slots either at JFK, DCA, or both........or the planes.
I expect a lot of changes domestically once MAX is available
There are other ways to get from DCA-TYO on OneWorld that don't require 2 connections like DCA-JFK and taking the 12:50 PM JL flight to HND
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by mvoight; Feb 12, 20 at 9:37 am
mvoight is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:41 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,855
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Maybe AA found a better use of the later slots either at JFK, DCA, or both........or the planes.
I expect a lot of changes domestically once MAX is available
There are other ways to get from DCA-TYO on OneWorld that don't require 2 connections like DCA-JFK and taking the 12:50 PM JL flight to HND
True, but the OP already booked through/on AY and presumably needs to stick with AY on the long haul segments, so that's kind of a moot point at this stage. AY can offer some great deals between the US-Asia, so I'm guessing that's in play here.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:43 am
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,928
This.

DCA is slot controlled. It runs roughly hourly Shuttle service to LGA and that is a hgh PRASM route. The question isn't whether there is demand for JFK, it is whether there is a better use for its limited slots elsewhere.
silverthief2 and BWISkyGuy like this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:32 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 399
This post made me check my wife & daughter's July itinerary. They are booked on an AA flight DCA-JFK. It is in the evening, and they are connecting to an AA JFK-LHR flight. So far their DCA-JFK flight is still intact.
g289t is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:47 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,115
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I agree but I'd recommend a longer layover in ORD. MCT from AA to AY is 1:15, so you're in theory OK but a bit of weather on the east coast or in ORD will make that seem very short. In addition, you'll need to make the transfer from terminal 3 to terminal 5, which you can do via an airside bus now. DCA-ORD flights are fairly frequent so you should be able to find something with more breathing room but well under the 8 hours you're looking at in JFK.
May is probably one of the months least likely to experience major weather disruption -- no snow and before T-storm season. If there is a misconnect, OP can still probably get to TYO on time by going direct from ORD, they'd just miss the HEL stopover (they could maybe schedule that on the return instead). And if for some reason there's bad weather in ORD, they could always try for DCA-LGA/JFK-HEL-ORD as a backup. Or maybe even day-of IRROPs would let them do DCA-JFK on DL.
jordyn likes this.
ijgordon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: