Wiki Posts
Search

No OLCI with infant *in a seat*?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:35 pm
J S
Original Poster

No OLCI with infant *in a seat*?

I tried to check in for an international flight. My PNR includes an infant in a seat (and no lap children), but I got a message that OLCI is not permitted if there is an infant on the reservation. Pure curiosity: why would AA have this restriction for a 1 year old occupying a seat, but not for a 2 year old?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Probably not that sophisticated an algorithm. All 2 YOA+ have a seat, not so for <2.

Even if one could OLCI, there would still be a check at some point to assure that you are the responsible adult accompanying the child.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:05 pm
J S
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Probably not that sophisticated an algorithm. All 2 YOA+ have a seat, not so for <2.

Even if one could OLCI, there would still be a check at some point to assure that you are the responsible adult accompanying the child.
That was my guess (that the algo was simply programmed for <2 years old to check that the child was actually <2 and therefore able to a lap child). The second part--i.e., checking that I am a responsible adult--is not the issue since I can do OLCI with a child >2 years old.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Just speculating here, but aren’t there sometimes special restraint requirements or even particular seats were children under two cannot be seated because the seatbelts won’t safely work for them?

Maybe they want to make sure that there is no problem and that any special child seat or restraint system that you may have brought is FAA-approved.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by coolcoil
Just speculating here, but aren’t there sometimes special restraint requirements or even particular seats were children under two cannot be seated because the seatbelts won’t safely work for them?

Maybe they want to make sure that there is no problem and that any special child seat or restraint system that you may have brought is FAA-approved.
I don’t think so. There are issues with lap children: you have to be seated in a row with an extra oxygen mask (which is not all rows on regional jets in particular). But that shouldn’t be relevant for infant in a seat.

If we’re traveling with an infant in a seat, we definitely have an airline-approved car seat anyway. In fact, we bring it even with a lap infant hoping for a vacant seat, which does happen reasonably often when we talk to the gate agent.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:19 pm
J S
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolcoil

I don't think this is it since they never ask at check in to see the seat (or CARES system) that I have brought. There are restrictions on exit row seats, but I am blocked from selecting them if I have a child on the reservation (and this applies to all children under 15, not just infants).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.