Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines & Qatar Announce Codeshare Partnership + AA Exploring DOH Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines & Qatar Announce Codeshare Partnership + AA Exploring DOH Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: None

Looks like they're getting back together with a codeshare.

Notably. AA "will begin exploring the addition of service from the U.S. to Doha."

Newsroom - American Airlines and Qatar Airways Sign Strategic Partnership Deal and Codeshare Agreement - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Wow, first AS now this. I guess the LA debacle has driven AA to decide it wants friends after all..
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I like this direction that AA is moving. Again, I know we (rightfully) criticize it for its folly, but am glad to commend its good strategic decisions of which this should be one.

Safe Travels
SK, jmj9905, Abidjan and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:45 am

Darn it. I am on way to Doctor's appointment, or would be checking right now, how "immediate", this is (i.e. awards). Or if it's all still in the talking phase. (Pending government approvals).
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Darn it. I am on way to Doctor's appointment, or would be checking right now, how "immediate", this is (i.e. awards). Or if it's all still in the talking phase. (Pending government approvals).
Pending government approvals, American will place its code on select Qatar Airways nonstop and connecting services to and from the U.S. and Qatar Airways' hub in Doha, allowing American’s customers to access new destinations in the Middle East, East Africa, South Asia and South East Asia that are not currently served by American.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
QR awards already exist.
JDiver, JonNYC and Djokison like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I love this!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Antarius
QR awards already exist.
In theory, at least...
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
QR awards don’t relate to codeshares in any way, as awards are always on the operating airline’s flights. Whether QR makes more award space available as the Parker-Al Baker and AA anti-Middle East airline rhetoric die down.
jmj9905 and allset2travel like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by whimsey21
In theory, at least...
Taken at least 1 trip a year with AA miles on QR. Easier than finding sAAver J inventory on AA, IMO
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I am glad they are doing this... lets hope this brings back some better prices, especially out for ATL for me, where DL is controlling the price.
(it always seems that the sales to outside the US are any other city except ATL)
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Would be nice if QR now allowed AA elites to use their lounges based on status (as I believe AA allows QR elites)
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
I am glad they are doing this... lets hope this brings back some better prices, especially out for ATL for me, where DL is controlling the price.
(it always seems that the sales to outside the US are any other city except ATL)
my BOLD
I am all for better prices. The skeptics in me think otherwise (hope this won't be true).

Edit to add: I also like this arrangement.

Last edited by allset2travel; Feb 25, 2020 at 10:16 am Reason: Edit to add
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Man, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Dougie made that phonecall to Al-Baker. I wonder if he sent flowers?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by allset2travel
my BOLD
I am all for better prices. The skeptics in me think otherwise (hope this won't be true).
If you keep an eye on the Mileage Run-->Premium forum, you'll see that QR regularly has decent business class deals from the US, through DOH to many places (India, Southeast Asia, Australia, Africa all come to mind).
Last month I flew DFW-DOH-ADL, for about half of what AA or QF wanted between the US and Australia in business.

I find it interesting that AA is exploring flights between the US and DOH. After flying on QR, then a week later flying AA (DFW-LHR), I had to eventually concede that I just couldn't even compare the two. The aircraft, service, and food on QR were all just so much better...then the DOH airport and lounges, well nothing in the AA system even comes close. They might possibly have a chance if AA runs something that QR doesn't, like CLT-DOH. But otherwise once someone flies on QR, they'll never want to go back to AA
jmj9905 and blackdog047 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.