Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines & Qatar Announce Codeshare Partnership + AA Exploring DOH Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines & Qatar Announce Codeshare Partnership + AA Exploring DOH Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Of course. I have flown around the world on AAwards. Literally, around, as in all east bound from Austin and back to Austin (AUS-BOS-DOH-CMB one award, CMB-HKG-LAX-AUS on another). Doesn't mean AA couldn't allow single awards redemptions to SE Asia east bound vs. just west bound.
AA can allow lots of things. They choose not to.

The point is, codeshares have nothing to do with this. AA could change their rules, but that is independent of pretty much everything else.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I am not sure what this means for AA miles on QR redemption, but I don't see a change. QR awards have been available for AA redemption to the extent they were available to QR members.

I believe there are posts somewhere about DFW to DOH on AA. While I agree the QR product is typically better, there are always people who prefer the AA metal for reasons mentioned and others.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
BA flies LHR DOH.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
AA can allow lots of things. They choose not to.

The point is, codeshares have nothing to do with this. AA could change their rules, but that is independent of pretty much everything else.
If the codeshares with QR to SE Asia happen (which they have not before), then AA would be able to sell you an AA marketed ticket from the US to DOH to SE Asia. I haven't seen a single case of not being able to use a single AAward for something that can be purchased with AA flight numbers through other OW partners (with max connection limitations of course).

This would be something new to AA to have these opportunities to market SE Asia via DOH from the US. Completely separate from being able to use AAwards on OW partner airlines without codeshares.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the codeshares with QR to SE Asia happen (which they have not before), then AA would be able to sell you an AA marketed ticket from the US to DOH to SE Asia. I haven't seen a single case of not being able to use a single AAward for something that can be purchased with AA flight numbers through other OW partners (with max connection limitations of course).

This would be something new to AA to have these opportunities to market SE Asia via DOH from the US. Completely separate from being able to use AAwards on OW partner airlines without codeshares.
London - Japan is one , London to Sydney is another

The information is that it will codeshare to Doha - does not state that it will codeshare beyond Doha

Regardless, I cannot see any reason why the rules for awards would be changed - it has no bearing on codeshare agreements
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
London - Japan is one , London to Sydney is another

The information is that it will codeshare to Doha - does not state that it will codeshare beyond Doha

Regardless, I cannot see any reason why the rules for awards would be changed - it has no bearing on codeshare agreements
London via US to SYD or something else? There are no codeshare flights to SYD that you can attach an AA flight number to going east bound. Same with Japan.

And yes, codeshares do make a difference from a marketing and customer experience perspective.If something goes haywire, regardless of operating carrier, AA would be responsible to remedy the situation if the flight was sold as an AA flight number (what happens behind the scenes is a different matter).

And why would AA allow QR to codeshare with them to US destinations but not get some sort of reciprocal benefits from DOH?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dn10
Any chance we see some CLT-DOH service now?
Not sure about from QR, but Vasu Raja is quoted in one article as saying that CLT is not a candidate for potential future AA-operated service to DOH.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

London via US to SYD or something else? There are no codeshare flights to SYD that you can attach an AA flight number to going east bound. Same with Japan.
AA flies from UK-US and then AA codeshares on Qantas to Australa - there is no exception to 3rd region exception for this
AA codeshares from UK-US on BA and flies to Hong Kong anf Japan - neither are exceptions to 3rd region exception

There is no reason why there would be a special exception for Asia via Doha
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:50 pm

If the codeshares with QR to SE Asia happen (which they have not before), then AA would be able to sell you an AA marketed ticket from the US to DOH to SE Asia.
This is correct.

I haven't seen a single case of not being able to use a single AAward for something that can be purchased with AA flight numbers through other OW partners (with max connection limitations of course).
There are hundreds (if not thousands) of cases (city pairs) where this isn’t possible.

No, you seem to not (want to?) understand that codeshare and awards are in no shape or form related.
Mwenenzi and Antarius like this.

Last edited by Djokison; Feb 26, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Not sure about from QR, but Vasu Raja is quoted in one article as saying that CLT is not a candidate for potential future AA-operated service to DOH.
I’d be willing to bet nothing is actually a candidate for DOH. I’d be shocked to ever see an AA plane there. Basically every AA hub already has one or multiple QR flights to DOH and there’s no way AA can compete with QR. The hubs that don’t aren’t likely to get them.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I hope the FF partnership with EY is not impacted. Award availability on EY is unbeatable.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
This is correct.

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of cases (city pairs) where this isn’t possible.

No, you seem to not (want to?) understand that codeshare and awards are in no shape or form related.
I'm still looking to find any codeshare flight that starts from the US, goes to a partner hub, and continues on to a partner operated destination, but with an AA flight number and I can't use a single AA award for it. The whole point of having codeshares- matching and/or extending the network from a marketing perspective. Make $'s selling on someone else's metal.

Example: I can choose to book a flight from AUS to LHR to CPT all on AA flight numbers. I can choose to fly BA metal the whole way, or a mix of BA and AA metal, rather than say direct AUS-LHR-CPT. However I can't start from LHR and fly to CPT on an AA flight number. It requires a US origination on the same ticket.

The announcement with QR calls it strategic, meaning there has to be some value for both parties to make it worthwhile. If they extend codeshares from the US, through DOH to SIN on QR, how will it, from a marketing and PR perspective make any sense that you can use cash for this wholly AA flight numbered ticket, but can't use an award? Today that is not a problem. For example although AA and BA are tight partners overall, there is no codeshare option from US to LHR to SIN. Of course you can buy the ticket, but the LHR to SIN flight will be on a BA flight number.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
The announcement with QR calls it strategic, meaning there has to be some value for both parties to make it worthwhile. If they extend codeshares from the US, through DOH to SIN on QR, how will it, from a marketing and PR perspective make any sense that you can use cash for this wholly AA flight numbered ticket, but can't use an award?
Is your argument that the only definition of value in this context is the ability to redeem an award?

Because for many flyers, and for AA in general, I doubt that's true.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Dn10
Any chance we see some CLT-DOH service now?
Pretty sure Vasu specifically said no to CLT-DOH possibilities.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Does anyone know why the AA codeshare on ATL-DOH is in one direction only? There's no corresponding DOH-ATL codeshare. It's been this way for a few months at least, if there ever was one.

(Same is true for the B6 and AS codeshares too; ATL-DOH but no DOH-ATL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.